Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Editing Software

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Editing Software

Quote Originally Posted by hensil View Post
    Download and try for a month as I read there are lots of bugs. This is normal for new software till Adobe brings out the upgrade ver. 5.1 in four months.
    Henry
    Thanks Henry. I would surely wait before purchasing the new version of LR. Currently using LR4.2 and quite content with that.
    Cheers

Guru
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I will download Lightroom in a day or two. I am waiting for Henry's Tutorials on Lightroom. In the meantime can Henry or someone point me to some good online tuts which you have tried? I know there are plenty online, but I lack the patience to try and fail and try again till I hit a good one. Sadly, many of the tutorials available on the net are not easy to follow.
    harjeev and LAD-FRM-NE like this.
    Every man dies. Not every man really lives - Irving Wallace
    My Flickr Photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkoshy/

Guru
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oriole12 View Post
    I will download Lightroom in a day or two. I am waiting for Henry's Tutorials on Lightroom. In the meantime can Henry or someone point me to some good online tuts which you have tried? I know there are plenty online, but I lack the patience to try and fail and try again till I hit a good one. Sadly, many of the tutorials available on the net are not easy to follow.
    Hello,
    Sorry for the delay in uploading my LR tutorials. From last 3 week, evert Saturday, I am conducting LR workshops in Abu Dhabi Photo Club. Next Saturday will be final day and then after I'll start working on the video for BCMT.
    Till then you can refer to this site,

Getting Started with Lightroom 3 or Lightroom 4: Importing Photos and Videos
    Getting Started with Lightroom 3 or Lightroom 4: Importing Photos and Videos | Laura Shoe's Lightroom and Photoshop Training, Tutorials and Tips

Have You Created Your 2012 Metadata Copyright Preset?

Have You Created Your 2012 Metadata Copyright Preset? | Laura Shoe's Lightroom and Photoshop Training, Tutorials and Tips

Three Ways to Keyword Your Photos in Lightroom
    Three Ways to Keyword Your Photos in Lightroom | Photofocus

Overview of Developing a Photo in Lightroom 4

Video Tutorial: Overview of Developing a Photo in Lightroom 4 | Laura Shoe's Lightroom and Photoshop Training, Tutorials and Tips

Laura Shoe is a good teacher. Her teaching is straight and simple. There are many more videos on her site.

If you find anything that you don't understand, please ask and we can discuss.
    Henry
    Nikon DSLR system & Panasonic MicroFourthird system.

Guru
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Thank you Henry! These should keep me busy for a while. And I suppose it will give me enough gyan to start off using Lightroom. From the DPReview site, I understand that the Version 5 is really a great advancement in retouching techniques, just as Version 4 excelled in DAM.
    LAD-FRM-NE likes this.
    Every man dies. Not every man really lives - Irving Wallace
    My Flickr Photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkoshy/

Guru
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mr. Koshy,
    There are 4-5 improvements in LR 5 over LR 4 but only two of them interest me and worth upgrade.
    One is the clone/heal tool. This works similar to the Content Aware tool in Photoshop.
    The second is the working with Develop tools on the preview images even when the actual photos are off line. This option is excellent when some one is traveling. The correction will be automatically applied to the photos when they are on-line.
    I will wait for few months to upgrade till Adobe fix the initial bugs with upgrade.
    Henry
    oriole12 likes this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hensil View Post
    Mr. Koshy,
    There are 4-5 improvements in LR 5 over LR 4 but only two of them interest me and worth upgrade.
    One is the clone/heal tool. This works similar to the Content Aware tool in Photoshop.
    The second is the working with Develop tools on the preview images even when the actual photos are off line. This option is excellent when some one is traveling. The correction will be automatically applied to the photos when they are on-line.
    I will wait for few months to upgrade till Adobe fix the initial bugs with upgrade.
    Henry
    Henry,
    Is there any improvement in the performance of LR5 over LR4. I mean in the LR4 the s/w used to become extremely slow and almost non responsive when local adjustment brushes were applied on the image.
    I haven't tried the newer version so would like to know your take on this.
    Have you noticed any improvement on this aspect.
    I'm using LR on my Win PC with 8GB ram and Intel Core i7 processor.
    Harjeev

Guru
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
    Henry,
    Is there any improvement in the performance of LR5 over LR4. I mean in the LR4 the s/w used to become extremely slow and almost non responsive when local adjustment brushes were applied on the image.
    Harjeev
    Hi Harjeev,
    No, I haven't tried LR5 and may try it after couple of weeks as I am busy at the moment. However, I hear mix response. Some say on on the forums that it is very slow and some say it is fast. My own experience with LR4 is that it is bit slow. But remember earlier with LR3 I was working with 6-12 Mpx files of D70 to D700 but now the files are of 18-36 Mpx of D4-D800. However, even the files of 12 Mpx of earlier cameras are bit slow on LR4. When I say bit slow I mean it is not instantaneous, nothing that bothers me. I work on the following machines,
    My desktop is Windows8, i7, 24 gb RAM, 2 gb nVidia video card, 5 TB with 2 TB internal raid 0 and dual monitors calibrated.
    My laptop is Macbook Pro 17". 16 gb RAM, Radeon Video card, 2 SSDs 500 MB + 400 MB.
    All my work is done on my desktop, MBP is used rarely, mostly for workshops. I just bought MBP to learn an editing/compositing software called Smoke which is only available on MAC.
    For photographic travel I use Windows8, Acer 11", i5, 4 gb, 80 gb SSD.
    Henry

Leh'd and how!
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I mean in the LR4 the s/w used to become extremely slow and almost non responsive when local adjustment brushes were applied on the image.
    Works perfectly fine on my system. I'm using LR 4.1 (portable), i5, 4GB RAM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Henry,
    Harjeev
    Most likely disk IO issue, get an SSD and it would be a new lease of life for your computer.

Guru
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Henry,
    Harjeev
    I forgot to address the above issue. Local brush is processor intensive and also needs lots of RAM. I feel increasing RAM to 16gb may help. Quitting other programs can also help. What camera files are you working on?
    Henry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast