Map: Nubra Valley + Changthang (Ladakh)

Discussion in 'India Maps and GPS Trails' started by vardhan.harsh, May 29, 2010.

1. vardhan.harsh

vardhan.harsh Guru

After gathering information from some very good guide maps out there (especially by Bharat), and some hours spent on Google Earth + Photoshop, i finally managed to create a map for my reference, for my first upcoming trip to Ladakh. Although my wife has been there before, i am yet to be there.

Hope this helps some of you. The distances marked are a little tentative, i hope to mark my trail on GPS while on the trip and mark correct distances and complete the map when i'm back.

In the meanwhile, people who've already done the Leh trips, and have experience could guide me at places where i've gone wrong in the map. This would help me greatly on my trip as well.

Edit: here is the updated map after the trip.

[​IMG]

Google Earth KMZ file for the above map

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
  2. vic86m

vic86m Vikas M

Thnx for that Map..

3. vardhan.harsh

vardhan.harsh Guru

Plesure vic86m

4. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

Lovely!
    I have mapped some section on openstreetmap. It will be great if you open up openstreetmap, upload your gps trails, and mark the section there!

5. rajarthur

rajarthur New Member

wow!!! thanks a lot!!!

6. vardhan.harsh

vardhan.harsh Guru

Hi TSK,

I created an account on openstreetmap and tried to upload the file, however i do not have a compatible file format, since i created the whole thing on google earth. I have the .kmz file, can you upload this up using some tool ? Or suggest me how to upload it.

I'm unable to upload the attachment (kmz file) here, let me know how can i send it to you.

Thanks
    Harsh

7. tsk1979

Actually you have to upload a gpx log with timestamps. So kmz to gpx conversion will not work, you have to actually go there, and your gps device has to create the log!

8. vardhan.harsh

vardhan.harsh Guru

That can only happen once i ACTUALLY travel to Ladakh. :D. In any case i do not have a GPS "device", got a Nokia E71 with GPS, hopefully that can create a GPX file, i check it out.

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Harsh nicely done.

In case you have higher resolution map, email it to me at [email protected] and I will upload it on to the server and link it here. You can also mail the KMZ file or upload it here, if you want.

Oh yes, you might want to put a watermark on it, like Bharat has done. Otherwise you might see someone else using it and claiming, that they are the ones who created it!

10. tsk1979

You put a semi transparent watermark bang over the center. Big one.
    Yogesh will do that for you if you do not know how to, but looking at your graphing skills I am sure you will be able to do that!