10 days in South Island -New Zealand

miragerahul

So it finally happened! I was awe-struck by NZ after seeing some of the magnificent photos that I have found over the net plus the logs that wonderful people here have written. At that time I wasn't sure how or when its going to happen. Years passed and as luck has it we shifted our base to Brisbane in 2017 and hence it was easy to plan from here. easy in the sense that you are only 3 hours away from the South Island but not easy in anyways in taking the time off from the work and all the similar dilemma that we face when you start preparing for a trip even in India and since NZ is indeed a very expensive country even by Australia's standard, it took us almost 2 years to finally complete this trip.

Trip Itinerary:
25th May: fly in to Queenstown(pick up rental car and drove to Wanaka through Crown range road and check in AirBnb) ~ 70 km
26th May : Wanaka
27th May: Wanaka to Fox glacier though Haast Pass ~ 260 km -motel
28th May: Morning Lake Matheson , and then drove to Franz Joseph ~30 km Franz joseph (rain rain go away) - motel
29th May : Franz Joseph - Malvern Hills (stay @ airbnb) ~350 km
30th May: Malvern Hills - Mount cook village(stay @ Hermitage hotel) ~300 km - visited Lake Tekapo and Church
31st May : Mt cook village (Hooker Valley trek(which is now closed before first suspension bridge, so we also did Tasman Glacier walks)).
1st June : Mt cook village to Queenstown ~264 km
2nd June : a big big day , one of the many reasons we visited NZ - Qtn- Milford Sound -Qtn (drive people don't recommend in summer time and here we did this in winter where day light is only between 8 A.M to 5P.M)
3rd June : Fly out of Qtown @ 4:30, reach home @ 7.30 P.M Brisbane time
IMG_20190526_171128936_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190529_142631585_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20190531_110336479.jpg
IMG_20190531_111007568_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190601_102501842.jpg
IMG_20190601_111504791.jpg
IMG_20190602_122239596_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190602_122418156_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190603_121841699.jpg
IMG_20190601_102501842.jpg

gsarkhel

Awesome write up.

Do you have an international driving licenses or it is not required?
Any idea, if I plan to drive through Europe then do I have to apply for an international driving license? And if have to apply, then do I have to apply in India or in the country that I'll be travelling to?

miragerahul

Awesome write up.

Do you have an international driving licenses or it is not required?
Any idea, if I plan to drive through Europe then do I have to apply for an international driving license? And if have to apply, then do I have to apply in India or in the country that I'll be travelling to?
gsarkhel bro , I have got Australian DL but anyways NZ doesn't have restriction on Indian license too, its just that they charge higher(for insurance and car too) if someone has Indian license. IDP(International driving permit) needs to be applied in India itself.

miragerahul

25th May : fly in to Queenstown(pick up rental car and drove to Wanaka through Crown range road and check in AirBnb) ~ 70 km

Flight time from Brisbane to Queenstown is 3 hours, We landed in Queenstown @2:30 P.M local time and after clearing out customs were out of airport by 4 P.M. We rented from Apex car rentals and cost for 9 days was 520 NZD(with full insurance) for Toyota Yaris. Apex car rental is around 250-300m from the airport so walking from airport was not a problem at all, reached there in 10 mins and was out of there by 4:45 P.M after they took the advance payment and licence photo copy too. Cost for rental was quite reasonable as I have Australian full Licence for Automatic. And also they upgraded us to Toyota Corolla at no additional cost, Total ODO on the car was only 60000km. Surprisingly enough it was really a good deal for the amount that we paid for this rental car. We had booked an airbnb(150 AUD) for 2 days in Luggate (15km from Wanaka) but first need to get some staple food for next 10 days. We got some of the namkeens and other stuff from Brisbane for this trip but still planned to stop at Indian store which was almost on the way. Finally Left Queenstown around 5:30 and night was already upon us. I decided to take the crown range route which takes almost the same time but it is around 30km shorter than the other route. I really wanted to do this route in day time as crown range is really beautiful and full of twisties and turns. We reached our airbnb place by 7:30 P.M and slept by 10 P.M after having some bread which our host had baked for us in the morning.

Last edited: