2013 flash floods and cloudbursts

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
One major hole or crater like formation is formed near Gopeshwar after the 1999 earthquake with no end which only few people know here or Govt. may never disclosed to public.
Jack, this sounds very exciting!
Is it possible to undertake a journey to the centre of the Earth there?! :confused:

Ladakh_Maniac

....... journey to the centre of the Earth there?! :confused:
Yes, and come out flying off Mt. Kilimanjaro! :grin:
Do not forget to wear helmets and carry camera to capture inside of earth where no one had been able to venture so far.

Well jokes apart, my other concern is indirect losses. I was wondering how much of designed life of the Tehri dam might have gone down. Must have been halved given the HUGE sediment load that would have made way into the dam due to upstream erosion of river bed and embankments. All would have got retained in the dam which would definitely reduce the life of the dam significantly which is a loss to the investments made on it assuming that it would last for 20 odd years. if it reduces to ten years (god would know the actual number) would the loss run into some billion odd Rs........

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
.... I was wondering how much of designed life of the Tehri dam might have gone down. .......
A very valid concern too.
Interesting fact is that none of the hydro projects in the Himalayas have produced anywhere close to the proposed/projected amount of electricity. The reasons cited are siltation and lack of regular flow quantities.
Bah! So much for all the survey work and 'feasibility studies' carried out before sanctioning the project!
The only thing that rules is corruption of Himalayan proportions!

citymonk

Super User
One major hole or crater like formation is formed near Gopeshwar after the 1999 earthquake with no end which only few people know here or Govt. may never disclosed to public.
People do talk about a small Hole or crater with one end at Kaidarnath = Kedarnath, UK and other at Pahupatinath = Pashupatinath, Nepal. Coin donated in Kaidarnath will appear in Pahupatinath Nepal.

Last edited: