2013 flash floods and cloudbursts

Ladakh_Maniac

How are you people coping there.
Is off from work a option.

What does 4 meter plus tide means, is it not so normal thing to expect.
In one word it is very 'painful'. As this is my second monsoon in Mumbai (earlier was in Delhi) I am slowly adjusting to the strange weather conditions here.
I am saying this because for the last one month we have not seen sunlight (except for 3-4 hrs). This slowly leads to deficiency of vitamin D in the body.
Perpetual rains for four months means we have to wear raincoats (on bikes) even if there is no rain because after 5 kms the things would be completely different.
Roads are in pathetic condition and potholes are plenty enough that would surprise you every 100m. If not the roads become pretty slippery and do not allow driving at more than 30-40 kmph.
Not to talk about broken down vehicles on road leading to traffic jams. For 14 kms to office, I start 1.5 hrs ahead to reach on time. If on a four wheeler (I kept it parked forever) it takes 2 hrs onwards and 3 hrs return. Fortunately I do not encounter any underpasses which generally get flooded in other areas.

This year it is abnormally high rainfall here as I read that about 55% of total annual rainfall has already taken place here in just one months time. Still have three months.

citymonk

Super User
Bombay rains are famous for nothing as are pot holed roads.
I hope you will get used to it, have you not seen common man cartoons, with must umberela in hands.

Btw do you feel chills there, in so much of continuous rains, or hot and humid only.

Previously only selected few kept two wheelers and forget Cars even for big business people, every body travelled in trains , saving time.

Last edited:

oriole12

Nature Lover
I hope you will get used to it, have you not seen common man cartoons, with must umberela in hands.

Btw do you feel chills there, in so much of continuous rains, or hot and humid only.

Previously only selected few kept two wheelers and forget Cars even for big business people, every body travelled in trains , saving time.
Pot hole, pot hole pot hole! How long more will we continue to refer to those gigantic holes on the roads into which cars and carts can just vanish? Pot holes are small holes we have learnt to live with long ago!

Ladakh_Maniac

While the trains are equally crowded, people have (seems) started purchasing cars. Most of the cars including Altos are driven by drivers.
Everyone who owns a house even a 1bhk in mumbai is a crorepati. So just imagine how many of them would be in the city.
Humidity is never an issue here, at least I never felt humid in city. Temperatures are pleasant all round the year.

Pot hole, pot hole pot hole! How long more will we continue to refer to those gigantic holes on the roads into which cars and carts can just vanish? Pot holes are small holes we have learnt to live with long ago!
True time we scale up our yardsticks. Everything is increasing, poverty, inflation, population then not redefine pot hole size.

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Can somebody tell me how is UKD now. Has there been any improvement .?
See the situation is like this.
4 months in a year tourist rush is in that state, and it pays for everything for the next 8 months or so.
That income is gone.
So
1. Areas not impacted by flood etc., - They are facing poverty, and people who do not have a regular job but were seasonal workers are forced to migrate and live in slums
2. Areas impacted by flood, but now connected - There is some relief, but people are homeless, they cannot build anything as they have no money

Apart form that, there are areas which are getting landslides now and then, roads are damaged. With the media circus over, the audience has left, and these people do not have enough food, clothes, or any sort of medicine, doctors etc., Since its not Delhi, nobody cares. With the rupee sliding down, media has a new circus, and a few thousand more dying or homeless is not important all.

So this is the situation. I know it sounds very pessimistic and negative, but that is the reality of Bharat. Mera Bharat Mahaan. Repeat after me "Jai Hind".

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Uttrakhand = UKD
Jack, You should have update this thread more than others.
What ever You have heard is enough to write here.

lifeisjourney

Journey Never Ends....
UKD = Uttrakhand Karanti Dal :)

I think Tilak bhai have more information as he is serving people there.
As mentioned by Tanveer situation is like that only no major changes till the monsoon ends. I talked home got news that there is no rain from last one week (At my home town Pauri) hope the condition remain same for rest of the area and rescue operation take some pace.
Tanveer there is no Slum over Hills :).

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Tanveer there is no Slum over Hills :).
I never said so. I am talking about people migrating to big cities. Few people who were doing blue collar jobs like restaurant cook etc., are now looking for daily wage earner job in Punjab. i am sure many went to Mumbai/Delhi etc., to try their luck. These people do not own land or assets, and they do not have any money left.