2014 Srinagar - Leh Road Status

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

This is a dedicated thread for Srinagar - Leh Road status in 2014, where you can find latest road status updates as well as information on any prevailing travel advisories related to Srinagar - Leh Highway as well as time restrictions, which are generally imposed early on in the season.

Srinagar - Leh Highway current status: Closed

You can find the current status of Manali – Leh Highway in the following thread, http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/road-status-f90/2014-manali-leh-road-status-t56699/. For any travel and itinerary queries related to Ladakh, please start a new thread in Ladakh and Zanskar section.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. Dry Ice

Dry Ice Well-Known Member

I am planning to do Srinagar Leh in the last week of April. Going by the last few years' trends, it seems Zoji La mostly opens by mid April. Even if the roads open, truck traffic and road conditions will be something to lookout for. *Fingers crossed*

3. Vikas tanwar

Vikas tanwar Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to know, if Leh to Srinagar is doable in one day, around end of June, and how much time should it take,

4. Yogesh Sarkar

Vikas, you can do Srinagar - Leh in a day, but it will take 12 hours or more, if you do not get jams en route.

5. Djd009

Djd009 Super User

It took me 14 hours to reach Srinagar from Leh in my Ritz in 2010, but now the roads are much better, so you might take lesser time, like Yogesh already mentioned about 12 hours :)

6. bunnypunia

bunnypunia Member

Apart from Zoji la, the rest of the route is 90% tarmc including what I term as the Kargil-Drass expressway :D

On a serious note, the bottle-neck can be the sonamarg check-post. Always keep an eye on the timings for allowing traffic towards Zoji (and vice-versa). Likewise, if you are doing Leh to Srinagar, the minmarg checkpost ahead of Drass (towards Zoji la) can be the issue - timings are always erratic. Last year, we made it to Minmarg by 1pm but had to back-track to Drass and stay the night there as traffic was not being allowed towards Srinagar side. Had no choice but to do Dras-Zoji la-Srinagar-Delhi in one day

7. Vikas tanwar

Vikas tanwar Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the info.. I think i will still try and do it in a day, it will add to the fun.

8. psmalik

psmalik New Member

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to know when does the road generally open? I am planning to go somewhere around mid may. Also i am planning to return via the leh manali road after 15 days of fun. will that road be okay by end of may- first week of june??

9. RacerX

RacerX People call me ARUN.....

This year I am gonna keep a close tab on the route, as I would be finally doing my trip to Leh this season!!

10. Yogesh Sarkar

Srinagar route should be open at that time, unless bad weather or avalanches close it for a few days. Road condition would be terrible on both sides of Zoji La, beyond that it would be mostly alright till Leh.

Manali should reopen by end-May; however road at high altitude passes like Tanglang La, Nakee La, Lachulung La, Baralacha La and Rohtang Jot would be in terrible condition and road might close frequently.

Even in Ladakh, Khardung La and Chang La will likely have snow and ice on the road.

So on the whole, it isn’t the best time to visit Ladakh, especially if you are looking for trouble free journey or are short on time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.