2016 Lahaul, Spiti and Pangi Road Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
This is a dedicated thread for 2016 road status of Lahaul, Spiti and Pangi Valley and will be frequently updated with up to date information about road conditions and road status.

Shimla - Kaza Road Status: Open.

Manali - Kaza Road Status: Closed.

Manali - Keylong Road Status: Closed.

Sach Pass Road Status: Closed.

Chandertal Road Status: Closed.

A new thread has been started for the road status of above route for 2017 http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/2017-lahaul-spiti-and-sach-pass-road-status.70001/.
 
Last edited:

Manish Patiyal

New Member
Hi Yogesh, thanks for the updates, really appreciate your work. I am planing shimla-kaza-shimla from Sundernagar(Mandi). My time limit is from 2nd march to 5th march and I would be driving alto k10 old model. Is it doable?
 

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
It is doable, however depending on weather you might want snow/ice on the road. That can cause trouble, if you aren't used to driving in such conditions.
 

rameshtahlan

Super User
Manish Patiyal,

I am doing Delhi Kaza in Toyota Fortuner, planned date is 10 Mar,
Looks like i will get my live updates from you.
But i am definitely carrying snow chains, as i plan to go ahead of Kaza.

happy landings
RT
 
Last edited:

vchopra1978

I m a trvlr nt a tourist
Hi all,

I am planning a bike trip from Delhi to Chitkul & Sangla from 25th to 30th March. Need suggestions on Weather condition (favorable or not), road condition (snow expected or not) or any other views or suggestions.

Thanks.
 

rameshtahlan

Super User
vchopra1978,

I am on the road form Delhi to Kaza on or after 10 Mar, if all goes well.
In all probability we would also do the Sangla - Chitkul road, if not on way out, then on way back, it all depends on the actual snowfall taking place in Mar.

So far it does appear that there has not been as much snow as previous years
but there is snow fall in Mar too. I am on the wait and watch mode.

I would be giving live updates on my trip, so you could follow me when i start my travelogue,
I am also keeping a check on the Western Disturbances, also known as WD, as these bring snow to the Himalayas.
So depending on the intensity of the WD, it will govern how much of snow fall would take place.
I do have a contact no of a person from Kaza, who gave me latest on snow fall two days ago... just 2 inches some days back, and the snow has since gone from he valley, but there is plenty on the slope of the mountains specially those shaded by the sun.
I went through a travelogue which was a trip in Mar last year I think, and Spity valley had 2 to 3 feet of snow. Which is what i am hoping for, A White Spiti.

So keep a check. You could alway go and hold out at Sangla, and from there see how far you make it to Chitkul.
Sangla is 9,700 ft altitude, Chitkul is 11,375, so even a little snowfall may hold on for a few days and you could still make it.
Kaza is 11,980 but latitude wise much further North.
Weather is the most unpredictable of all. But if you in the mood to burn rubber on road, just go for it.
it will still be exciting till where you manage to reach.

I have put a screen shot of forecast weather of Sangla. should give you some idea. But things can actually turn out to be quite different.

happy landings.
RT

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 4.07.03 pm.png
 
Last edited:

vchopra1978

I m a trvlr nt a tourist
vchopra1978,

I am on the road form Delhi to Kaza on or after 10 Mar, if all goes well.
In all probability we would also do the Sangla - Chitkul road, if not on way out, then on way back, it all depends on the actual snowfall taking place in Mar.

So far it does appear that there has not been as much snow as previous years
but there is snow fall in Mar too. I am on the wait and watch mode.

I would be giving live updates on my trip, so you could follow me when i start my travelogue,
I am also keeping a check on the Western Disturbances, also known as WD, as these bring snow to the Himalayas.
So depending on the intensity of the WD, it will govern how much of snow fall would take place.
I do have a contact no of a person from Kaza, who gave me latest on snow fall two days ago... just 2 inches some days back, and the snow has since gone from he valley, but there is plenty on the slope of the mountains specially those shaded by the sun.
I went through a travelogue which was a trip in Mar last year I think, and Spity valley had 2 to 3 feet of snow. Which is what i am hoping for, A White Spiti.

So keep a check. You could alway go and hold out at Sangla, and from there see how far you make it to Chitkul.
Sangla is 9,700 ft altitude, Chitkul is 11,375, so even a little snowfall may hold on for a few days and you could still make it.
Kaza is 11,980 but latitude wise much further North.
Weather is the most unpredictable of all. But if you in the mood to burn rubber on road, just go for it.
it will still be exciting till where you manage to reach.

I have put a screen shot of forecast weather of Sangla. should give you some idea. But things can actually turn out to be quite different.

happy landings.
RT

View attachment 665135
Thanks a lot Rameshtahlan...

Will follow your updates regularly and wish you safely reach Kaza. I did Kaza last year in July 2015 in XUV but missed Sangla/Chitkul due to heavy rains in Himachal.
Do let me know your itinerary and queries (if any)... would see if I can answer some and suggest something in your plan.

Happy touring.
 

rameshtahlan

Super User
vchopra1978

I did Kaza in May 2015, and dropped in at Chitkul on way back with night halt at Sangla.

Then did Kalpa in Dec 2015.

but i want a White Spiti,
i may have chosen a wrong year this year i think.
Just hoping for the best.

happy landings
RT
 

koushiksam

New Member
Hi,
I am planning a road trip to Spiti from Kolkata with my family in the month of May, 2016. Is it doable in a hatchback like Maruti Ritz? I am planning to cover Kalpa, Nako, Tabo, Kaza, Kibber, Komik, Sangla & Chitkul. I have total 15 days of time in which I want to be there for 11 days.
Please advise.
 

rameshtahlan

Super User
koushiksam,

Off course you can do Spiti in a Ritz in the month of May.
so I assume u will take 2 days Kolkata Delhi, and 2 days Delhi Kolkata, so that 4 days out from total 15 days. That leaves 11 days from Delhi onwards.

No problem at all. Just go ahead. May is good.
You can go through my travelogue, it will give you a good idea of what lies ahead.
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/dream-trip-lahaul-spiti-may-2015.63295/

there is no problem of stay etc, no need for advance booking.
but if you need a contact no for a hotel at Kaza, here are the contact details of DeyZor Hotel,
the owner is Skaizang 9418556189, he stays in Kaza, and the guy who runs the hotel is Karan, 9418402660, he stays in Chandigarh, and will get to Kaza in mid April, to open the hotel and run it, so you can call Karan in mid April and book your rooms.
they have a generator, what runs for 1 hour in the morning, and 2 hours at night, and also provide WiFi.
beyond Poh you will not have any mobile coverage except BSNL, so you could get a BSNL chip for the trip.
however on wifi you could use your internet.
for major part of the day, Kaza does not get electricity generally.

happy landings.
RT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top