Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Hi All, I'm planning to do Spiti Valley from Noida from 13th - 26th this month.

We reach Losar via Tabo-Kaza on 20th October. I understand from the previous post that a visit to Chandrataal may not be possible.

Do you think we will be able to reach Manali from Losar via Kunzum and Rohtang on 21st / 22nd October? We are travelling in a Duster AWD.

Many thanks.
It is best avoided at that time, even if it is open. Since a heavy weather disturbance can easily get you stranded en route. It isn't out of ordinary for some people to die each year on that section of the road.
 

rajat.narang

Active Member
Came back on Sunday (7th Oct 2018) from Spiti. Went via Shimla and came back via same route. Roads are much better this time than they were last season in Kinnaur and Spiti despite the havoc caused by rains. Only exception being Parwanoo to Solan. That road in name of lane expansion has devastated the beauty of the good old NH22 and is causing the mountains to become too unstable and causing too much landslides and also destroying the ecology of the area. In my opinion this stretch should never have been touched.
Delhi to Panipat -> Diversions because of road widening but managed very well.
Panipat to Parwanoo -> Butter smooth roads.
Parwanoo to Solan -> Hellish roads, should be done early morning when there is less traffic.
Solan to Jeori -> Again pretty nice roads with a few bumps before Jeori.
Jeori to Spillow-> Good roads.
Spillow to Khab -> Very bad roads with a few sections of tramac in between but better than all the previous 4 trips I have had.
Khab to Sumdo -> Good roads.
Sumdo to Kaza -> Average roads with a few bad patches but manageable.

Roads to Mud are open, Langza-Komic-Hikkim is open and full of snow just before Komic. Ki-Kibber-Tashigong-Chicham-Kyato-Kaza are also open. Lots of snow before Tashigong and very pretty sites all around.

When I started back from Kaza on 6th Oct the road to Chandrataal or Manali was not yet open and was not scheduled to be open for another 2-3 days. Even if that route opens, as many have said it, it's better to avoid that route for this season as in normal days this road is one of the most dangerous to drive on.

Also, there is a forecast of fresh snowfall in Spiti this coming weekend (12th - 15th Oct) so it is better to check before moving ahead as roads can get blocked.
The weather is very cold (below 0 degrees in the evenings) so take proper attire and precautions.

It might sound preachy but if people are going there, please do not use plastics or throw trash out of the window, try to keep sanctity of the place as these are the kind of places we need to preserve, they are affected the most by climate change & plastic usage. A lot of people are working to make Spiti plastic free so we can contribute in our own ways :)
 

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
BRO has asked the administration to restrict movement of vehicles on the Manali - Leh Highway in view of the ongoing snowfall, which has blocked Rohtang Pass and Baralacha La. I have a feeling BRO is going to officially close the highway around 15th October. Though local vehicles will continue to ply on their own risk until the road is completely closed due to snow.

As far as Kaza - Manali route is concerned, avoid going beyond Losar this year. Similarly, Sach Pass would be now quite risky to cross, even if it is open.
 
Also, there is a forecast of fresh snowfall in Spiti this coming weekend (12th - 15th Oct) so it is better to check before moving ahead as roads can get blocked.
The weather is very cold (below 0 degrees in the evenings) so take proper attire and precautions
Leaving for Spiti tomorrow, any updates on the present road conditions.
Thanks in advance
 

Ambuj Agrawal

New Member
Avoid Kunzum and Chandertal, even if they are open. All the best.
We left for our Spiti Valley trip on 13th from Noida. Stayed one night near Shimla. 2 nights in Sangla. Tonight in Kalpa. Headed to Tabo tomorrow. All good so far. Roads are in bad condition, but manageable. Will update the forum further, network permitting.

17th and 18th is crucial for all of us who wish to cross Rohtang and enter Manali from Spiti side. Forecast has snowfall / rainfall. Lets see.
 

rajat.narang

Active Member
Leaving for Spiti tomorrow, any updates on the present road conditions.
Thanks in advance
Road conditions from Shimla side are the same as mentioned in my post. But as per Yogesh's post Rohtang and Kunzum are officially closed. So plan to come back from Kinnaur. Even if Kaza-Manali was open I would never advise anyone to go from there at this time of the year. Yes it is v beautiful but not at one's life's cost.
Also, Kaza-Delhi can be done from Shimla side in 2 days easily.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top