Status
Not open for further replies.
Experts please help me. I'm planning Shimla - Spiti-Manali circuit this 2019.
Which month do you recommend to do Delhi/Chandigarh -Spiti-Chandertaal-Manali-Chandigarh/Delhi circuit? June or July month? Is it advisable to cross Kunzum and Rohtang early if the passes have been opened for traffic say in the last two weeks of June 2019? I don't want to end up in rains which means there's a risk in travelling last weeks of July and early August.

My plan A is by rail transfer bike to Chandigarh and then ride if doing solo. If ladies/elders are willing to join the trip then to take a self drive car rental from Chandigarh. Your suggestions are welcome.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Which month do you recommend to do Delhi/Chandigarh -Spiti-Chandertaal-Manali-Chandigarh/Delhi circuit? June or July month? Is it advisable to cross Kunzum and Rohtang early if the passes have been opened for traffic say in the last two weeks of June 2019? I don't want to end up in rains which means there's a risk in travelling last weeks of July and early August.

My plan A is by rail transfer bike to Chandigarh and then ride if doing solo. If ladies/elders are willing to join the trip then to take a self drive car rental from Chandigarh. Your suggestions are welcome.
The passes would be open(unless it snows in late march/april) by then however the condition of roads specially between Kunzum to Gramphoo will be very bad.
Also, the rains are not that heavy post Kinnaur region. I have been there in August in the mid of rains.
Another thing to note - You will also find water crossings to be ferocious as snow melts during that period. It also increases the chances of rockslides.

I have also been there in late sept -early oct ... pros were better roads, less traffic and tamed water crossings. Less probability of getting stuck due to landslides. The only downside was the low temperatures.
Just compare both the seasons and then decide based on your convenience.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator

Second half of June would be a better bet. In August the rain can easily block the road in Kinnaur or Losar - Manali stretch. September second week is perfect if you're looking for good weather.

rameshtahlan

Super User
WEATHER UPDATE 31 JAN 2019, Thurs.

Get ready for another good and huge SNOWSTORM.

by 30 Jan, Wed, it would have arrived over all of Kashmir Valley, and it looks like Srinagar will get some nice snowfall.
On 31 Jan, Thrus, it would have covered most of Himalayas,
So look at the prominent locations marked on this upload, and decided when you want to get there. If you going to another location, then see where are you closest to the location marked here and you should get a good idea.
Road conditions will be sever for BLACK ICE, as in most areas the snow from previous storm would not have melted, and sub zero temp would have frozen the water on the road when the sun came out.
So be really prepared this time.

And it will be fun. get stuck somewhere, maybe you will have to leave your bike or car behind for the rest of the season and then in March or April come back and collect your vehicle.
So carry SNOW CHAINS or SNOW ZIP TIES or just ROPE to wrap around the wheels to get you out of trouble.

31 Jan Thurs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.