Status
Not open for further replies.

anubhavjain31

T
Rohtang Pass has been cleared of snow and from today it will be open for light vehicles. Initially only the locals i.e. residents of Lahaul Valley will be allowed to cross the pass. Add to that, intially the Rohtang Pass will remain one way i.e. on one day traffic will allowed from Manali side and the next day from Lahaul. Once the road is wide enough, it will be opened for two-way traffic.
Thanks Yogesh ... This is amazing news. Would you know by when Rohtang opens both ways. I am planning a day trip to Rohtang via local taxi on 19th April - Are my chances good?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
BRO has set a new goal of reopening the Manali – Leh Highway and aims to clear the Baralacha La by 5th May and hopes to reopen the road for vehicular traffic by 8th of May 2018..

hogster

Ek Rasta hai Zindagi..
BRO has set a new goal of reopening the Manali – Leh Highway and aims to clear the Baralacha La by 5th May and hopes to reopen the road for vehicular traffic by 8th of May 2018..
This is unprecedented. I'd be hard pressed to find an earlier opening date for the M-L Highway. I know scant snowfall is a reason, but 08 May is way too early. Fun Fun Fun...

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Fun wouldn't be there. Since those who do it early on are after snow. With just 5 ft of snow, there won't be huge snow walls like earlier years. Add to that, snow won't likely last long.

anubhavjain31

I spoke to few taxi companies/operators in Manali and all of them are saying that Rohtang Pass is only open for locals right now and for tourists it will only open after 15 May 2018. I was planning a trip till Keylong, so they are saying even that is not possible as Rohtang Pass is closed.

Requesting expert advice here.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
It is Manali Administration’s decision, when they want to allow tourists to go up to and beyond Rohtang Pass.

Last year they didn’t allow tourists for quite a long time, even after protests by the hotelier association in Lahaul as well as pressure by Manali tourist industry.

However, if BRO declares the Manali – Leh Highway as officially open, then the administration has to allow tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.