2018 Srinagar-Leh Road Status

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

This is the 2018 road status thread for Srinagar – Leh Highway, featuring the date of opening of the road as well as the latest road conditions, regularly updated by the travelers.

Srinagar - Leh Road Status: Open

Update, 6th April 2018: Srinagar - Leh Highway has been officially reopened for the season.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. rameshtahlan

rameshtahlan Super User

11 and 12 Feb 2018,
    Huge snowstorm across Himalayas.
    Be warned.

kmpatel likes this.
  3. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Hi,

This is my first post. Planning to travel with Family from Surat(Gujarat) to Leh via Vadodara , Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur, Delhi, Ambala, Amritsar, Srinagar, Leh and back via Manali route. Is Leh via Srinagar doable in mid of May as we have school vacations only at that time. I am planning to go with my wife and 2 daughters , driving Ertiga VXI. Please suggest and thanks a lot for help.

Thanks and Regards,
    Alok

4. Yogesh Sarkar

The road would be open, though Zoji La would be in terrible condition. There can be snow and ice at Khardung La and Chang La as well. Manali route may or may not open, everything depends on the weather.

5. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Hi Yogesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Zoji La can we pass in Ertiga or how difficult will it to pass. Also Khardung La and Chang La can be passed or what difficulty will it be, can you please tell me and if we should plan or not. I know everything depends on that time.

Thanks and Regards,
    Alok

6. GHASGHASE SANTOSH SHRIPAL

GHASGHASE SANTOSH SHRIPAL Active Member

Go ahead Sir, I am also planning the same,will be driving i20 petrol.As far as the information I have collected,Srinagar Leh is not an issue.Folks are though apprehensive about return via Manali in low GC car.

7. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Hi Sir,

From where are you planning to drive, I am planning to drive from Gujarat. Can you please share what have you planned till now.

8. Yogesh Sarkar

Even compacts can cross Zoji La, but the chance of scrapping the underbelly are high initially and you have to be quite careful while driving due to slippery road condition. As for Khardung La and Chang La, if there is quite a bit of snow and ice on the road, then there might be a need for snow chains to cross it.

9. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Hi Yogesh,

Thanks my travel time is around 22nd May, so I hope it gets better till then. Can I purchase snow chains from Srinagar or from Amritsar as I have stay there.

Thanks.

10. Yogesh Sarkar

You can buy them in Srinagar or Leh. Though if you really want to invest in good quality ones, then get them imported from the US.

Please keep in mind, snow chains aren’t attach and forget thing. They can only be put on when the snow/ice is thick enough and have to be taken off, when it isn’t. And despite them, you need to have plenty of control over your vehicle.