2018 Srinagar-Leh Road Status

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Hi Yogesh,

As I do not plan to go again to Leh again, I think Srinagar ones will do, please share your thoughts, also how much it will cost (approx.) from Srinagar. So if we see snow, we have to place it and on plan grounds take it off? We can do easily ourself?

Thanks

2. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Sorry no idea about the cost, maybe @rameshtahlan can comment on that, after he comes back from his trip.

It isn't too difficult to put the chains on, but then again, at high altitude, it isn't all that easy either. Here is video on how to do it.

3. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Thanks a lot Yogesh, will wait for @rameshtahlan 's response.

4. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

How much late I can book hotels in Leh, as I may finalise to travel in first week of May and if I can get bookings for Leh in first week of May.

Thanks and Regards,
    Alok

5. Yogesh Sarkar

There is really no need to book hotels in advance, except at Srinagar and Manali (in case you take the Manali route.) Booking Kargil might be a good option as well, though for rest you can find a place after you reach there.

6. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Thanks a lot for your response. With travel time 22nd-25th May which route do you advise. Yes Srinagar and Kargil hotels will book as soon as decided to go. Also are Surat to Leh and back can be done in 10-12 days or require more time.

7. Yogesh Sarkar

You will need at least 3 days to reach Srinagar, 4 if you prefer to drive at an easy pace i.e. 6-8 days for Surat - Srinagar - Surat. 4 days for Srinagar - Leh - Srinagar. At least 1 day in Leh and at least 3-4 days for Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso (basic tourist circuit.) So you will need at least 14-17 days for the basic circuit. And at that time Srinagar route would be a better bet.

8. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Thanks Yogesh for your wonderful help. Will plan in first week of May if I can go. Will see if I can atleast spare 14 days, so can do it. My also concern is Zoji La if it will be open and how risky is driving is to Leh. Also is security condition in Srinagar.

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Zoji La is the only trouble point en route to Leh from Srinagar. With effort, it is doable and there will be plenty of people on the road as well. Srinagar safety issue is there and can't be predicted. Stay at the Boulevard Road since it is generally safe and start around 6 am to avoid any trouble en route.

10. Alok Arora

Alok Arora Member

Thanks a lot for your kind advice Yogesh. It helped me a lot, if plan to travel, will surely try to stay at Boulevard Road and will also ask for Itinerary, once everything is finalised.

Regards,
    Alok