2019 Manali-Leh Road Status

Kush_Talwar

I am planning with my niece of 10 years old for leh.
Is the temperature and altitude will suits her for traveling to pangong and nubra?

Robert

Please shed some light on current road condition between Gramphoo and Sarchu. I heard that there is still 4-5 feet snow on Baralacha Pass. If this is true, it means water crossings. Is this stretch doable in a hatchback and in ecosport as my cousin is planning for next week.

tomraven99

Please shed some light on current road condition between Gramphoo and Sarchu. I heard that there is still 4-5 feet snow on Baralacha Pass. If this is true, it means water crossings. Is this stretch doable in a hatchback and in ecosport as my cousin is planning for next week.
No snow on passes but very tricky sections before Sarchu.Did the route in my Duster yesterday.Ecosport will be okay.Wouldnt advise doing it on a hatch for peace of mind unless he is a local or has experience..Long sections of unpaved roads too will add to the agony.

adsatinder

explorer
Use this road to go Leh and return from Leh.

Situation in Kashmir valley is tense and they may stop you at any point or ask you to return. Amarnath Yatris and Tourists are advised to reach Srinagar today and leave valley.

Immediately cut down stay, return as soon as possible: J&K govt to tourists, Amarnath Yatris

Sopore fierce gun battle on. Avoid that zone if u Heading in that direction.

Machail Yatra stopped due to tight lipped security advisory issued to Kishtwar distt administration
No yatra vehicle is being allowed from Kishtwar chopper service also suspended due to security reasons

Last edited:

Robert

Hi tomraven99, thanks for this precious information. How difficult it was in Duster ? was it 4x4 ? Any major water crossing ? what kind of trickyness before sarchu ? I shall be thankful if you please explain in detail.

tomraven99

Yes it's AWD..But lots of normal vehicles were doing it easily..There is section after barlacha la where rocks had fallen on the path..Some Swift's were having very tough time...Water crossings were easy for even hatch's..water level is low..Just keep momentum and observe the path which locals take..Some slush after Rohtang. Heavy fog on ascend to Rohtang..What I found most frustrating was long section of unpaved roads before pang..It's been the same almost 7 years ago when I did this route...Pang to Leh is good road..But don't spend too much time on high passes as AMS symptoms are common on this stretch

Last edited:

Robert

Duster AWD is wonderful and have amazing capabilities. It can handle this route easily. Thanks for all the details, enough to boost confidence. Now I am getting tempted to accompany them up to Sarchu. I think a day trip from Jispa to Sarchu ( i.e. Jispa-Sarchu-Jispa ) should not be a problem. Am I missing something ? Can you please give some details about tented accommodations in Sarchu this year. Any mad rush ? Hope not asking too much. My best wishes are with you, enjoy your journey.

adsatinder

explorer
Mobile internet services suspended in entire Kashmir; security beefed up
Additional paramilitary forces, which arrived here last week, have been deployed across the city and in other vulnerable areas of Kashmir Valley

Press Trust of India | Srinagar Last Updated at August 4, 2019 23:51 IST

Security deployment beefed up at vital installations and sensitive areas

Kashmir remained on edge on Sunday as authorities stepped up security deployment at vital installations and sensitive areas amid heightened terror threat and flare up of hostilities with Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC).
Mobile internet services were suspended across the Valley as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order, police said.

After the Jammu and Kashmir administration curtailed the Amarnath Yatra and asked pilgrims and tourists to leave the valley at the earliest on Friday, anxious residents continue to throng markets to stock on essentials and serpentine queues have been visible outside shops and fuel stations.
Former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan, the mentor of Jammu and Kashmir state teams who was in Srinagar to oversee the trials for the U-16 (Vijay Merchant Trophy) and U-19 (Cooch Behar Trophy) squads, has left Srinagar, along with the young players.
"We have for the time being postponed the second phase of junior team trials...since there has been a government advisory, I had a meeting with Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association...Accordingly, it was decided that boys need to be sent back home," Pathan told PTI.

Omar Abdullah
✔@OmarAbdullah

I believe I’m being placed under house arrest from midnight tonight & the process has already started for other mainstream leaders. No way of knowing if this is true but if it is then I’ll see all of you on the other side of whatever is in store. Allah save us

11:30 PM - Aug 4, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
3,808 people are talking about this

Various educational institutions also directed their students to vacate hostels.
Additional paramilitary forces, which arrived here last week, have been deployed across the city and in other vulnerable areas of Kashmir Valley, the officials said.
The strength of the security personnel has been increased around vital installations such as the civil secretariat, police headquarters, airport and various central government establishments in the city, they said.
Barricades have been erected on many arterial roads, including the entry and exit points to Srinagar, the summer capital of the state.
Riot control vehicles have also been kept on standby in some areas where apprehension of law and order disturbances is more, the officials added.
In Delhi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a meeting with top security officials on Sunday and is believed to have discussed the prevailing situation in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
The hour-long meeting was attended by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba and other senior officials.
The meeting came amidst fresh skirmishes between security forces of India and Pakistan along the border with the Army foiling an attack by BAT on a forward post along the Line of Control (LoC) in Keran sector, killing five to seven intruders.
The Indian Army has asked its Pakistani counterparts to approach them by raising white flags and take possession of bodies which are lying on the Indian side of the LoC.
The BAT generally comprises special forces personnel of the Pakistani Army and terrorists.
A civilian woman was killed in cross-LoC shelling in Gurez sector of Kashmir last week, while ceasefire violations by Pakistan were reported from several other areas of Kashmir close to the LoC.
Jammu and Kashmir Governor S P Malik has dismissed speculations that the Centre might be planning to do away with Article 35A of the Constitution, which gives exclusive rights to the state's residents in government jobs and land.
Political parties in J-K had expressed apprehensions about such action after the Centre deployed additional troops and curtailed the Amarnath Yatra.
The National Conference (NC) held a meeting of its Political Affairs Committee (PAC) where they expressed concern over the "uncertain and uptight" situation in Jammu and Kashmir. A spokesman said the party would fight any infringement upon the special constitutional position of the state. PDP president Mehbooba Mufti has called an all-party meeting at her residence on Sunday evening to discuss the situation.
Malik has urged political delegations led by National Conference leader Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba to tell their supporters to maintain calm and not to believe "exaggerated rumours" being circulated in the Valley.

Mobile internet services suspended in entire Kashmir; security beefed up

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Mehbooba Mufti, Omar Abdullah Under House Arrest In J&K Turmoil: 10 Facts

"I believe I'm being placed under house arrest from midnight tonight & the process has already started for other mainstream leaders," Omar Abdullah tweeted.

All India | Edited by Divyanshu Dutta Roy | Updated: August 05, 2019 00:30 IST

The development comes amid uncertainty and massive security build-up in Jammu and Kashmir.
SRINAGAR:
  1. "How ironic that elected representatives like us who fought for peace are under house arrest. The world watches as people & their voices are being muzzled in J&K. The same Kashmir that chose a secular democratic India is facing oppression of unimaginable magnitude. Wake up India," Mehbooba Mufti tweeted.
  2. Earlier in the day, Ms Mufti and leaders from all political parties from the state held a meeting and issued a resolution, warning the government of "consequences" if it changed the constitutional status of Jammu and Kashmir.
  3. Kashmir remained on edge on Sunday as authorities stepped up security deployment at vital installations and sensitive areas and enforced curfew-like restrictions citing heightened terror threat and a flare up of hostilities with Pakistan along the Line of Control.
  4. Mobile internet services were suspended across the Kashmir valley as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order, police said. Many schools and colleges have been shut down and various educational institutions directed their students to vacate hostels.
  5. In Delhi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a meeting with top security officials, officials said. The hour-long meeting was attended by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba and other senior officials.
  6. The Union Cabinet is scheduled to meet on Monday at 9:30 am at the residence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Delhi.
  7. After the Jammu and Kashmir administration scrapped the Amarnath Yatra and asked pilgrims and tourists to leave the valley at the earliest on Friday, anxious residents continue to throng markets to stock on essentials and serpentine queues have been visible outside shops and fuel stations.
  8. Additional paramilitary forces - as many as 35,000 - which arrived here last week, have been deployed across the city and in other vulnerable areas of Kashmir Valley, the officials said.
  9. Barricades have been erected on many arterial roads, including the entry and exit points to Srinagar. Riot control vehicles have also been kept on standby in some areas where apprehension of law and order disturbances is more, the officials added.
  10. The dramatic security clampdown stoked fears that the centre may have plans to modify or do away with Article 35A of the constitution, which gives exclusive rights to the state's residents in government jobs and land, or Article 370 which gives autonomous status to the state.

Mehbooba Mufti, Omar Abdullah Under House Arrest In J&K Turmoil: 10 Facts