3G Mobile Services Launched in India

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
3G (or 3rd Generation Mobile Technology) services have been launched for the first time in India by MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd) today itself. The same has been monikered as "Jadoo".

Highlights of 3G technology are :

1. Video conferencing/Video calls now possible on your mobile (3G enabled) itself.
2. More bandwidth and hence wider range of services.
3. High speed mobile data transfer (upto 2Mbps). So high speed internet possible through your 3G enabled mobile.
4. Online gaming (again using high speed data transfer).

This would revolutionize the telecom technology and mobile environment around us.

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
AFAIK government was still contemplating the auction of the 3G spectrum and decision on the players. Maybe MTNL being a govt entity, falls out of that group.

High speed mobile data transfer should be a pleasant change as the existing data transfer on cellular network sucks big time.

Admin01

Administrator
BSNL is also planning to roll out 3G services in Chennai soon, however as far as MTNL goes, can they actually support it properly? I mean if I talk to MTNL GSM Mobile users, they usually say connectivity is only good once they are out of Delhi i.e. on BSNL network!

hitanshu

Master of the OT Universe
Thats very true.

I'm sure they'll beam a 3G "Asuvidha ke liye khed hai"/sorry for interruption on the mobiles !

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
Some more info

India leaps into 3G Mobile arena with the soft launch of 3G enabled Mobile services by Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) for its Delhi Network. MTNL is the first Mobile operator in India to launch 3G services named “MTNL 3G Jadoo”.

Initially, the coverage for 3G services would have core of Delhi covering Connaught Place, Sanchar Bhawan, Rajaji Marg, India Gate, Pragati Maidan, Delhi Gate and Minto Road. The commercial tariff would be announced and registration shall start after the commercial launch a couple of months’ later.

3G Mobile services would enable MTNL Dolphin/ Trump subscribers to enjoy:

Video Telephony – Customers can watch and talk simultaneously through Video Call.
High speed internet for smart-phones and Laptop from 256 Kbps to 2 Mbps.
A multitude of data related VAS services like
Mobile TV
Location surveillance
Streaming Video on Demand
Gaming etc.

Source: Bharat on line

hiambuj

Staff member
Just returned from the inaugural by the PM at DRDO Bhawan, in FICCI India Telecom 2008.. For me it was nothing but tiring :(

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
Thats very true.

I'm sure they'll beam a 3G "Asuvidha ke liye khed hai"/sorry for interruption on the mobiles !
Using MTNL broadband connection since past 3yrs. and faced no major problems so far (so good), Dolphin/Trump connectivity could have been better though.

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
Using MTNL broadband connection since past 3yrs. and faced no major problems so far (so good), Dolphin/Trump connectivity could have been better though.
Agree. The stock service in general is without any problem unless you have a brush with their customer service and then you feel how limited technical know how of their staff becomes a hindrance (though I am told that even Airtel is no better).

However what works in the case of MTNL and doesnt work in the case of private players like Vodafone and Airtel is the old style of communication via written letters. Recently when my Broadband plan wasnt changed in time (that can be changed only in the beginning of the billing cycle), I wrote a letter directly to their Executive Director copying all senior GMs and sent it by courier and email. The response was fantastic.

setuniket

Airtel is far far better in terms of everything in broadband(Sales, Service & Support). MTNL and BSNL are launching 3G services because they don't go through the auction process, had they been, it would have taken another year to launch the service.

Admin01

Administrator
Been using their landline for god knows how many years and have been using DSL connection for past 3 years or so. It is good as long as you don’t run into problem, else they take at least a day or two respond (though respond faster to email complaints then phone calls!) and then can’t do much if your using their unlimited plan and speed gets restricted to 200-220kbps permanently, instead of 256kbps they advertise!