4 Days, 3 Passes - One Crazy Himalayan Ride!!

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by KurtRules, Sep 20, 2008.

1. amitmaggoo

amitmaggoo Insanity is Hereditary

NCR - The Gaon which tries hard to be Gud
    Hats off to you guys...must have been quite an adventrous ride to say the least...

2. woodboats

woodboats Member

Absolutly amazing!!
    You guys sure worked hard to get to those beautiful spots.
    I really don't think I have ever seen roads as rough as the ones you rode on.
    The "free bike wash" photo is a classic.:)

3. anupmathur

anupmathur Super Moderator Staff Member

Kurt, this is coming through as another heroic ride. [​IMG]
    I like the style: tough shit but understated! Beautiful pics to say the thousand words!

Congrats to the four of you!!

Quite amazing! For a long time the Sach Pass record stayed intact with Avinash. He must be feeling proud seeing the gush he set off! :D

That's without Salil & Co.'s account yet!

4. KurtRules

KurtRules Come as you are!

Thanks a lot to all of you!!! M Glad u enjoyed it .....

Ya Yogesh, there was some on road snow at the higher reaches, though at not a large stretch .... Was kinda fun, skidding past it!

True, though i dont think there will be plenty excursions in that area! .... the first thing a guy that came up to me in Killad said "Aap Yaha kyu aaye ho?" :grin:

Anytime time Hitanshu, PM me your no.

Thankfully No!!:)

5. anupmathur

Absolutely! And given enough time, as in 'centuries', you might well become the 'immortal hindu deities' that passed by en route to some exotic destination in search of a magical elixir (the name of which would probably be something akin to SLIME)!!!! :grin:

BTW, what/which BCMT sticker are you referring to? I would like to have one for my car.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. rupinder

rupinder Active Member

i can see their names in my head mota sadhu and puncture baba :D:D

7. anupmathur

................................................................[​IMG]

8. KurtRules

Day 3 (Chery – Udaipur –Keylong – Rohtang – Manali: 215 km)

One of the best mornings ever. This was when I actually realized what a place we were in! Stunning, breathtaking and completely isolated from the rest of the world! Not a soul in sight. Sounds of the gushing Chandra-Bhaga, sweet bird chirps and greenery all around greeted me as soon as I walked out of my room, rubbing my eyes.

My first attempt at a Macro Shot JJ … Don’t know what the photographers would say!!

54.jpg

55.jpg

Some Pics of the guest house

56.jpg

57.JPG

58.jpg

59.JPG

The line-up at Chery

61.jpg

60.jpg

The Only Dhaba

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Today’s ride was kind of relaxing, as we had enough sleep last night, around 9 hours… The ride to Udaipur was pleasing and we were pushing on comfortably. Sandeep gave a ride to a fellow who had missed his bus. Let me state that buses do ply from the other side of Killad i.e from Keylong to Killad.

Udaipur route:

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

73A.jpg

Another Paagal nullah enroute:

68.jpg

72.jpg

Kids,

69.jpg

70.jpg

luv em!!

73B.jpg

Enroute, the ChandraBhaga:

74.jpg

Reached Udaipur at around 1. Nice small hamlet situated amidst a beautiful landscape. It is over here, that I had the cheapest momos of my life. Just imagine, Rs 10 for 8 pieces!! We had around 63 pieces In total and were bloating in harmony!! Somehow, bid farewell to the aunty who served us and moved on for Tandi.

At Udaipur

75.jpg

Good enough at Rs10 arn’t they!!

76.JPG

The Aunty who was serving us, her kid .... Cute aint he!!

76A.jpg

Enroute to Tandi

77.jpg

Ahh…The same old route again .....Was glad to spot this board!!

78.jpg

Reached Tandi ,an hour later from Udaipur and fuelled up. The destination for the day was decided as Manali.

We met these two. They were on their way to Leh on their cycles! Had come specially from Germany just for ride..

79.jpg

The front disc trouble, that I had encountered In Leh had crept up again. This time it was even more severe. Due to all that beating, the disc was bent making the tyre wobble badly. Somehow, I managed to keep it under control and scurried away.

The widening of roads from here on, created a dust wind all around, making it difficult to spot the road. It’s some kind of a mission the govt is aiming at, making Manali-Leh tarred and double lane by 2011!

81.jpg

From Khoksar, began the uphill climb to Rohtang …. Christ it was like I was here yesterday ….!!!

At Rohtang

82.jpg

82A.jpg

This time on, Rohtang wasn’t filled with the maddening tourists it normally is. Peace and serenity, yes these are the words that will describe what was prevalent there at that point of time!...

You know, the more tired I was, the more I was enjoying it! I don’t know why, but the time I get going, I never wanna stop. At point of time the pain subsides and I begin to enjoy the feeling. To come to think of I just remembered what I told Puneet on the way to Chery….”Let’s go all the way, to Keylong …lets not stop now” …. This was after we had ridden for 12 hours…And he was like, “Paagal ho gaya hai kya?” ….

Maybe it happens to many, maybe it doesn’t...Maybe its normal, maybe it isn’t…I donno...I never did!

Anyhow, I don’t wanna get carried away, which, in fact, I normally do at times…

84.jpg

So we got to Marhi, had a lot of paranthas cum noodles cum coffee and aaah!!! Relishing was that. Reached Manali sometime before 8 and waited for Puneet. He came, we went ahead and I took them to the same hotel…”Summer King” in new Manali…Got two rooms for Rs200 each!

“Where’s Puneet?”, was the common question…Tried calling, but to no avail!! Called another million times and went through at last…After a few frantic calls, he arrived furious at me for speeding away and not waiting for him… !!!

Sorry dude, shit happens!!!! :grin:

The room

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

Not bad at 200 eh..:grin:

Finally some leisure time beckoned upon us…Party time…

Went to Old Manali, had a couple of beers amongst Israelis, first at an upbeat restaurant whose owner died 15 mins after we arrived because of which we were asked to wrap up and LEAVE…..which we did…politely,no nuisance...... and then pubbed away to glory at the Johnson Café Pub and Disc!!

Came back real late, high,slept…

Sweet Dreamz!!!!;) …..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  9. KurtRules

Day 4 ( Manali – Kullu – Aut –Shoja –Jalori Pass – Narkanda –Shimla –Chandigarh)
    This day was one with mixed feelings of sorts … I heard a lot about Jalori Pass so I asked the rest on how would they like to lay off the boring highway and stay put on an off-beaten track upto Jalori?????
    Good people, make good decisions!!! …. I had the best with me :D

So there were, off to kullu at around 10 in the morning … Had breakfast just a little after Kullu where we also confirmed the route and distance. It was longer as compared the highway, but then, we had made up our minds and there was little that could deter us.
    Paid the bill …. Tanked up and zipped away…. Crossed the Aut tunnel and took a left from there to Banjar

88.jpg

89.jpg

Valleys and rivers ... The eternal combination!

90.jpg

91.jpg

91A.jpg

Lovely crossong...This was on the way to Shoja, where Puneet and Sandeep scared away a huge gorilla, without even realizing it:D ... The panaroma was completely greenm huge pine/deodar trees....Dew all around...freshness...It was a unique experience on its own..

93 a.jpg

93 b.jpg

Comfotably reached Shoja in a couple of hours. Took a break and waited for the rest to come. In the meanwhile, I found time to go down and check out the Banjara Resorts, some 100 meters downhill. Really well built and maintained! But was shocked at the tariff…Rs 5500 per room.......Jesus!!!!!!!

Resort at Shoja

92.jpg

93.jpg

Gone are the days when I used to run 20 laps round the basket ball court and then dunk balls at regular intervals and still feel as fresh as ever…Now, as in now now….I was finding the climb up to Shoja, terrifying, petrifying…Somehow, gasping for air, I got upto the place where my bike stood….

Found everyone except Sudhanshu…Waited for around half hour at Shoja and then got worried. Tried his number, “not reachable”…tried again, and again…and then stopped trying….went up to a cabbie who was on his way down and explained to him and requested him that is domehow he spots a funny looking guy on a CBZ X, riding up, ..tell him there are people worried sick a few kilometers ahead.

We then planned to ride upto Jalori and wait there….

At Jalori

94.jpg

95.jpg

We were there for around an hour, and still no sign of Sudhanshu….It was then that we decided to ride back and see what happened….

Gathered our stuff, disappointed and worried at the same time….
    We were just about to roll down when there he was, riding up the tarmac diligently…Boy o Boy, we were relieved…

He had actually trailed a bus on a wrong path which took him 25 kms in a wrong direction, futher which there was no road…So it was a 50 km wrong loop which caused all that delay..Anyhow, we were glad that all was well and turned out to ride as planned…to Shimla..

Stangely, i have fallen in love with dogs!!:grin:

96.jpg

On the descent

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

It was really dark when we reached Narkanda … Hunger had began to take over so I insatiated myself over a couple of paranthas and Maggi …. Finally carried on till Shimla (Was once such a lovely highway, of which, just the remains sustain...ever so omnipresent!) and then eventually landed in Chandigarh at around 2 in the morning …

We had ridden over 1200 kms and visited 4 districts of Himachal in these 4 days..

These days had been really tough …But as they say… “When the going gets tough, the tough get going!”

Regards
    Vaibhav Sabharwal

10. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Fantastic ride guys, we were hoping to do what you guys did. Oh well there is always next time and this sort of stuff becomes an excuse for the next time :D. Btw where in Manali is this hotel and does it have parking? Sounds like a good option for budget travelers.

There are two types, one is simple one which says BCMTouring.com (in white or black color) and there is another one which I had put on my motorcycle's rear mud guard, you can somewhat make it out in this pic. The first one is pretty good though simple, however the second one needs some work as it was a temp job and can't stand too much rain.

:grin: