4 new tunnels to come up in Ladakh

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
BRO is planning to build 4 new tunnels in Ladakh, in order to ensure round the year connectivity.

These tunnels will be built by Rohtang Tunnel Project and consist of tunnels under Baralacha La (11.25km), Lachung La (14.78km) and Tanglang La (7.32) on the Manali – Leh Highway. Another tunnel under Shingo La (4.15km) in Zanskar Region, which falls on the new all-weather route being built via Manali – Darcha – Padum – Nimmu – Leh.

Tanglang La tunnel inspection route

tanglang-la-tunnel.jpg

Feasibility study for the Baralacha La tunnel has already been conducted, while feasibility of other tunnels will be done soon.

These tunnels will not only ensure both Manali – Leh and new Manali – Zanskar – Leh highways remain open throughout the year, it will also shorten the distance one needs to travel at the moment to reach Leh.

This also shows the commitment of BRO to keep Manali – Leh Highway operational, even after Manali – Padum – Leh Highway becomes operational.

A similar tunnel is also being constructed under Zoji La to ensure round the year connectivity via Srinagar – Leh Highway.

subhankar paul

And miles to go before I sleep
BRO is planning to build 4 new tunnels in Ladakh, in order to ensure round the year connectivity.

These tunnels will be built by Rohtang Tunnel Project and consist of tunnels under Baralacha La (11.25km), Lachung La (14.78km) and Tanglang La (7.32) on the Manali – Leh Highway. Another tunnel under Shingo La (4.15km) in Zanskar Region, which falls on the new all-weather route being built via Manali – Darcha – Padum – Nimmu – Leh.

Tanglang La tunnel inspection route

View attachment 706906

Feasibility study for the Baralacha La tunnel has already been conducted, while feasibility of other tunnels will be done soon.

These tunnels will not only ensure both Manali – Leh and new Manali – Zanskar – Leh highways remain open throughout the year, it will also shorten the distance one needs to travel at the moment to reach Leh.

This also shows the commitment of BRO to keep Manali – Leh Highway operational, even after Manali – Padum – Leh Highway becomes operational.

A similar tunnel is also being constructed under Zoji La to ensure round the year connectivity via Srinagar – Leh Highway.
Administration is working fast to develop Leh as a tourist hotspot . Tourism industry is lobbying hard to manifold their wealth. Bad days for nature and adventure lovers are not far away.

catch me if you can

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
These tunnels aren’t being developed for tourism purpose. These are needed for the security requirement since Ladakh is the only place where our armed forces face threat from both China and Pakistan.

Remaining cut off from rest of India for 4-5 months each year doesn’t help us support the troops or for that matter, locals.

Tourism will of course follow, however, that isn’t a priority for the central government, investing several thousand crores on the road network.

Shivanshu

RX Rider
From the growing aggression with our neighbors, this is a good step. But I hope the eco-sensitive balance is maintained and they dont spoil the natural beauty of that area. Though I understand that it should have been done long time back keeping the accessibility of our Defense Forces throught the year, I also hope that they keep the existing network of road operational for us travel junkies to endure the true nature of the surrounding area.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha, shouldn't this go into the jokes thread?!! Not one of us is going to see this happen within our life time, even if you are only 20 yet!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Lol, I guess so sir. My guess is, these will take at least a decade if not more. In any case, tenders for that Shingo La tunnel were supposedly floated in 2011.