7-9 Days Kinnaur Trip

jjamwal

I have a 7-9 days in which to see some places in Kinnaur and nearby areas. Will be traveling by car. I have been to Spiti, Kaza from Manali side but this would be the first time from Shimla.

Luxury is not required, happy to stay in camp sites, homestays kind of places if they are in great places. Any recommendations will be welcome. This trip starts the day after spending 3 days in a pahadi wedding and 10 months after my last vacation. :-({|=
A month later, I am traveling in the places beyond this area (Spiti) for 2-3 weeks. I prefer to cover few places rather than travel around all over trying to cover as many as possible. So any suggestions are highly welcome.

My tentative itinerary :
Day 1: Shimla to Sarhan
Day 2: Sarhan and nearby
Day 3, 4: Rakcham,
Day 5,6 : Kalpa and nearby
Day 7 ?
Day 8 Drive back to Shimla, Delhi.

Is this a good idea and are the roads ok for a car ?

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope day 8 is Kalpa to Shimla and day 9 Shimla to Delhi.
You could consider Narkanda instead of Shimla on day 8 and Narkanda to Delhi on day 9. Chail could be another option in place of Narkanda.

jjamwal

Thanks a lot for reply. Yes, Narkanda seems to be a nice suggestion. Chail is Ok, but I didn't like the place that much.

Is rest of itinerary manageable ?

vishal_kap

Trip Inventor
I have a 7-9 days in which to see some places in Kinnaur and nearby areas. Will be traveling by car. I have been to Spiti, Kaza from Manali side but this would be the first time from Shimla.

Luxury is not required, happy to stay in camp sites, homestays kind of places if they are in great places. Any recommendations will be welcome. This trip starts the day after spending 3 days in a pahadi wedding and 10 months after my last vacation. :-({|=
A month later, I am traveling in the places beyond this area (Spiti) for 2-3 weeks. I prefer to cover few places rather than travel around all over trying to cover as many as possible. So any suggestions are highly welcome.

My tentative itinerary :
Day 1: Shimla to Sarhan
Day 2: Sarhan and nearby
Day 3, 4: Rakcham,
Day 5,6 : Kalpa and nearby
Day 7 ?
Day 8 Drive back to Shimla, Delhi.

Is this a good idea and are the roads ok for a car ?
From Sarahan, you can divert and move to jalori pass, stay at shoja, followed by Tirthan valley ....

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can imagine not taking much of a fancy to Chail. Chail is great if you stay at the Chail Palace. They have options at many price points on that huge estate.
And yes, the rest of your itinerary is manageable.

jjamwal

From Sarahan, you can divert and move to jalori pass, stay at shoja, followed by Tirthan valley ....
This seems to be an interesting idea. Jalori pass is a place I've been thinking of visiting since some time.

Edit: Checked on google map. Jalori pass is quite out of way . Sarahan doesn't seem a good idea for this plan then

Last edited:

jjamwal

I can imagine not taking much of a fancy to Chail. Chail is great if you stay at the Chail Palace. They have options at many price points on that huge estate.
And yes, the rest of your itinerary is manageable.
I hardly if ever stay in hotel for more than sleeping and a bath. Passed through Chail a couple of times in the past. It's OK for 1st time or infrequent travelers, but not much for me personally.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Have you been to Daranghati? If not, it is an option worth exploring. From there, you can head to Taklesh and then make your wayt to Sungri and then Narkanda.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
There is a FRH at Daranghati. Earlier there were camps, but I heard they have been removed. Taklash, Sungri and Baghi have PWD rest houses.