A meandering solo drive around Himachal

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Secretariat, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Secretariat

Secretariat Well-Known Member

Thank You. Of course we can meet. Message me when you would like to.

2. kprasad

kprasad KPR

Hi sorry If I had missed in your travelogue. Which month did you travel to Kaza? Whether Kaza Manali was not attempted due to sedan or the road was closed?
    I would love to visit Kinnaur and Spiti valley. But thought it would be nice to cover Chandrataal and Kunzum Pass as well.

Which is the best month to drive from Kaza to manali via Kunzum Pass. Maybe a zoomcar Scorpio or any 2WD SUV Ex Chandigarh.

Also can winter Spiti be done via Shimla to Kaza and back in the same route in a 2WD SUV rental car / Public Transport HRTC if going solo?

Secretariat likes this.
  3. sachdev

sachdev New Member

Anytime. Your convenience. My phone is 8095502929.

4. Secretariat

I travelled from mid Sep to mid Oct. Didn't do Chandrataal because it was closed because of snow. Didn't do Kaza - Manali ; extremely risky in a sedan and in any case Kunzum was closed because of snow when I was there. Kaza - Manali is doable in a high GC vehicle anytime that road is open, but this is one of the worst roads in all of India with innumerable water crossings and chances of getting stuck even in a SUV are high.

A winter trip is very much possible , but you must factor in that most hotels are closed. Homestays are possible, but it is bitterly cold, there is no running water as water freezes in the pipes and therefore only dry toilet facilities.

kprasad likes this.
  5. kprasad

kprasad KPR

Just out of curiousity asking you:
    You timed your trip very well during Sept / Oct where the Kaza - Manali is open too and no monsoon rains climbing via Shimla/Manali too. In many other travelogues I'm reading persons doing it in Sedan / Hatchback although risky. Taking a cue out of it did you have remotest of idea back in your mind when you started this journey from Bangalore to do Kaza Manali in your Xcent?

Also you had desire to go to Chandrataal lake but for that you need to cross Kunzum and then taking a diversion from Batal or any road from Losar available?

Secretariat likes this.
  6. Secretariat

I thought I had timed the trip well, but then of course anybody who tries to predict nature is doomed to fail. The rains extended and the snow came early. But then, that's the way it goes in the mountains, isn't it. I still had a wonderful trip.

I wouldn't take a sedan or a hatchback in the Batal Gramphu sector. I know people have done it, but a large number of people have also come to grief. Underbody hits are a certainty; the only question is whether you'll be lucky not to cripple the car. So, why do it ? It is really SUV territory. I never planned to come that way.

Only way to Chandrataal from Kaza side is through Kunzum. No other way from Losar.

Thanks for all the interest in this travelogue .

bullt_SK and kprasad like this.
  7. viveksheelsingh

viveksheelsingh Well-Known Member

What a lovely account. Truly remarkable.
    A great sojourn comes to an end, looking forward to many more from your end.

8. Prakash Subramanian

Prakash Subramanian Member

Wonderful writing. One of the best written travelogues I have read.
    I too did the Kinnaur - Spiti circuit earlier in Sep, solo on motorcycle, returning just days before all hell broke loose with the bad weather. I am halfway through writing up my travelogue.