A Rumble Way to Pushkar Camel Fair 2012

Discussion in 'Travelogues from West India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

preface.png

Planning for this year’s trip to Pushkar Camel Fair, in a way started during the last year’s trip to Pushkar Mela. Which happened to be not only the most gratifying and fun trip to Pushkar I had till then, but also one of the best trips of my life, mainly thanks to the lovely company I had during that trip.

Sadly this year, none of my earlier travel partners could make it to Pushkar, though I did end up planning for a Pushkar Dinner Meet, which turned out to be a big blessing, since even though I traveled alone to Pushkar, I was able to enjoy company of several wonderful travelers.

22nd November 2012, Delhi - Pushkar

I started off at around 3:45AM from my home, with the aim of reaching Pushkar by noon, so that I could rest and then look for a hotel for the next couple of days, before eventually heading to the Mela Ground for sunset and long exposures.

Riding out of Delhi so early in the morning is always rewarding and one rarely encounters any traffic snarls or for that matter, much traffic! So I happily left Delhi behind in a jiffy, though the folly of not wearing liner or sweater under my riding jacket soon became apparent to me. Even though I was feeling really cold and my sweater was in my bag, I was least interested in stopping and taking it out.

End result?

I was almost frozen by the time I reached Jaipur bypass.

Thankfully by then, sun’s warmth had started to work its magic and riding on this rather lonely stretch of the highway became oh so comfortable and inviting.

jaipur-bypass.jpg

A little beyond Jaipur, I started feeling quite a bit hungry and hence decided to stop once again at the Shree Shyam Hotel and Restaurant, where I have stopped now numerous times during my trips.

shree-shyam-hotel-and-restaurant.jpg

Over the years it has certainly progressed and turned more into a proper restaurant than a highway dhaba, with now a canopy covering the vehicle parking, which in the weather of Rajasthan, is a welcome addition.

One thing which hasn’t changed over the years is the parathas, which have remained delicious as ever. Though the waiter did goof up a little in taking my order and even though I meant there shouldn’t be any extra butter or oil on my parathas, he presented me with tandoori parathas without even a single drop of oil! I took it as god’s way of telling me to stick to my diet and went out to consume the oil less parathas or as Anup sir would like to call it, stuffed tandoori rotis. With a little bit of pickle, they tasted real nice and I was left with no regrets whatsoever.

Since now I was riding on the oh so smooth Jaipur - Kishangarh Express Way, I managed to relax a bit and decided to stick to my slow and steady progress towards Pushkar.

Once the Express Way was over, I got ready to tackle the traffic snarls which are a common place till the outskirts of Ajmer, but this time around there were none to deal with. Since most of the double lanning work had completed. However on the downside, there were still quite a few diversions and that too with rumble strips, just like the Delhi - Jaipur route.

Somehow I tackled them without any major back pain and managed to reach the outskirts of Ajmer. Here instead of taking the usual route to Pushkar, which bypasses Ajmer, I decided to give Google Navigation a chance and followed its route through Ajmer instead. Once inside Ajmer, I found that the route Google Navigation suggested was blocked by the police for some reason, so Google then took me on an express tour of Ajmer City, which included the lake as well as the dargah, before eventually taking me on the road to Pushkar.

I managed to reach RTDC’s Tourist Village at around 12:15pm, around 8 and a half hour after I had left Delhi for Pushkar. Waited around 45 minutes for my room to get ready, since the guests at the hotel were still checking out and then after dumping my luggage in the room, I tried to catch up with some sleep. Sadly I wasn’t particularly successful with it, so I decided to go Hotel hunting, since I had only booked the RTDC Hotel for one night.

Trying to find a hotel and booking it for the next two days was a tough task, thanks to most of the Hoteliers hoping to see more rush the next day and thus more chances to fleece the customer. At one point I went into a hotel, which quoted Rs. 1500 a night for a room with 3 beds, which after somewhat rude bargaining, I was able to bring down to around 1300 a night. Got ready to pay the advance and turned out that the idiotic hotelier wanted the full rent for 2 days in advance, after another round of negotiation, he agreed to accept Rs. 1000 as advance, but then threw a googly by saying that I must pay rest of the amount at the time of check in tomorrow.

By now I have had enough of this ass of a person, so I told him, that his attitude wasn’t right and there was no way I was going to stay in his hotel and walked off!

Finally managed to book a room with 3 beds at Hotel Narayan Palace for Rs. 1500 a night and even though one of the person managing the desk was fairly disinterred and somewhat rude, the other two chaps made up for him and I was happy to be paying more to them, then I would have to the earlier idiot!

By the time I got back to the hotel, it was almost dark and after a hectic search of my camera bag, I found that I wasn’t carrying the appropriate mounting plate for my tripod and had instead brought one for my other tripod!

Fairly disappointed and pissed off, I had little option but to mount my trusty 50mm on my Canon and head out towards the mela ground.

Since it was Thursday, there weren’t many tourists around and most of the poor vendors were simply looking and waiting for customers to arrive and start the seasonal windfall for them.

sweet-shop.jpg

ice-cream-vendor-at-night.jpg

jewellery-and-toy-shop.jpg

Though at this stadium this kid was only too happy to be riding his camel around, instead of giving tourists a ride on it.

kid-on-a-camel.jpg

A food festival organized by RTDC, supposedly for the local cosines was a complete washout with just 3 vendors selling chat, chowmein and ice cream and there being absolutely no visitors whatsoever.

So I decided to come back to Tourist Village for dinner and ordered the veg thali and had a heavy dinner and decide to head to the bed. In the meanwhile I received a call from Rohan that he and his dad have made it Pushkar and will be joining me for photography tomorrow morning.

Day 2, morning at Pushkar Camel Fair

Day 2: Pushkar Mela and Street Photography Part 1

Day 2, Camel Dance and Street Photography

Day 2, Sunset and Dinner

Day 3, Breakfast and Street Photography

Day 3, Pushkar Spiritual Walk Part-1

Day 3, Pushkar Spiritual Walk Part-2

Day 3, Pushkar Spiritual Walk Part-3

Day 3, Kabaddi Match

Day 3, Lunch

Day 3, the last and best Sunset of Pushkar

Day 3, Indian Circus Part-1

Day 3, Indian Circus, photos and videos

Day 3, BCMTouring Dinner Meet

Day 4, Pushkar - Delhi

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    MOSSADIN likes this.
  2. lifeisjourney

lifeisjourney Journey Never Ends....

And the show begins now :) Nice start Yogesh.

3. Yogesh Sarkar

Thanks Jack

4. rkbharat

rkbharat Guru

wonderful start YS, looks promising

5. satpreet1985

satpreet1985 New Member

Nice start... :) eagerly waiting for more..

6. asheshb

asheshb Perfection, is it worth?

Yogesh, a pleasure to read. Looking forward to it

7. Anuppandey

Anuppandey Well-Known Member

great start...

8. Adventure50

Adventure50 Super User

As usual Yogesh is ready for Rock N Roll, waiting for whole story, sorry I missed this wonderful event due to some very urgent work.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. Yogesh Sarkar

Thanks everyone.

Thanks, hope all is well?

10. akulwal

akulwal Amit Kulwal

Wonderful Yogesh. Waiting for main course...