A Tourist’s Tale of Winter in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. kassal86

kassal86 Member

Great shots YS .......... and i will be waiting for ur next post.......
    wishing u a warm trip and journey ahead......

2. sahilthegoodguy

sahilthegoodguy Well-Known Member

Lovely update YS

3. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

You should visit Delhi. Here you have men trained for protecting the country guarding and serving people accused of rape and murder :D

4. pops8906

pops8906 Well-Known Member

Masterstroke from the legend.

5. ToughGuy

ToughGuy Active Member

Super shots, Like them all :)

6. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi

Simply CLASSIC Photographs !!!!!!!:grin::grin:
    Waiting for more !!!!!!!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. dinki

dinki Member

:rock::ctf2::ctf::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::ctf::ctf2::-({|=

Wooooooooooo amazing shots... and gyaan coming from all fronts...

8. SachinOnTop

SachinOnTop Full Use Else Lose

Thanks.

:lol:
    True fact! :grin:

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

27th December 2011, Leh - Tangste

Got up at around 7:30AM and started getting ready, since we would be heading to Tangste today and would be taking our entire luggage with us, hence everything needed to be packed.

Another source of worry for me was the fact that today was a Tuesday and I normally keep Tuesday Fast and had decided to do the same today as well. So while others gorged on breakfast, I had make do with a warm glass of water, though I did buy 4 apples from the guest house at 10 bucks each, hoping to eat them en route (never did).

We also came to know that Sai and Anand couldn’t get permit yesterday, since by the time they reached the DC office, staff had already left. So while they planned to get the permit and hire a taxi for Nubra, we were headed to Pangong Tso.

Bid them goodbye and headed first to the Leh main market, to try and find gloves for Rahul and also pick up some sweets for the one time I am allowed to eat, during the fast. While we couldn’t find gloves anywhere, despite a lot of shops being opened, I bought some barfi from Punjab Sweet Shop and we got on our way to Chang La.

The drive up to Chang La has always fascinated me and had always been one place, where my bike had to struggle due to the incline as well as altitude. However, neither was a major challenge for the Scorpio and it climbed without any hitch and while Rahul was leaning out of the front window the entire time, shooting photographs, I too decided to shoot couple while driving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, window photography was neither as fun, nor as rewarding and after a point I simply preferred to capture it all through my eyes, rather than through my lens.

Chang La was as usual laden with snow, when we got there, it was much colder than Leh. We got off the car and shot a few photographs of Chang La and thanked Chang La Baba for safe passage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew in the back of my mind that the small lake after Chang La would be completely frozen by now, so the moment we approached it, I started looking for a place to stop and soon enough, found one and got off from the Scorpio and headed for the lake.

The little lake was completely frozen and here the wind had made the temperatures even colder than what they were at Chang La! Which meant photographing without gloves was nearly impossible and thanks to the CPL filter, photographing with the gloves on, was just as impossible!

So for the next 20 minutes, I shot without the gloves on, trying to keep my hands warm, but they just wouldn’t warm up and at one point, the tips of my fingers got so damn hard and slightly black/blue in color, that I thought I was nearing a frost bite and had to eventually stop shooting! This was easier said than done, since even putting the gloves back on was a task which seemed to take eternity and only cause more pain!

When I finally walked back in to the Scorpio, my body started to get warm, but fingers didn’t! While we drove on, I knew I could have done a lot better than this, only if I had a little more time and more sensation in my fingers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop for us was Durbuk, where Rigzin got some diesel and we had to shell out hafta to bunch of cute kids, collecting money for Losar :).

A short drive later, we finally reached Tangste and the guest house we were supposed to stay at, which turned out to be the same place where I had spent the second night of my 2005 Ladakh ride. Got a room with heating for Rs. 600 a night and came down to the kitchen, where others had lunch and I had a cup of tea, trying to warm my fingers, which were hard, even now!

Rigzin recommended that we check out the alternate route to Chushul, since we would be anyways doing Pangong Tso tomorrow, we contemplate on which route to take, all the while, enjoying the warmth of the kerosene stove…

<-Previous Home Next ->

10. BULL_Bola

BULL_Bola Member

Frozen lake looks Fab!!