A Tourist’s Tale of Winter in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. noor789

noor789 Member

I visited BCM after such a LONG time.
    And see this magnificent log by you YS.
    Faad di yogesh bhai aapne :shock:

2. Rahul Thakkar

Rahul Thakkar Active Member

Last shot is awesome buddy.

3. KULDEEP

KULDEEP New Member

hey Tiger... did you tried Pangong-TSO.....

4. invincible

invincible Amit Bhardwaj

Nice very nice... The b/w pics are simply mesmerising... Loved them

5. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

27th December 2011, Tangste - Harong Wet Lands - Tangste

After lunch (well tea for me), we decided to check out the alternate route to Chushul (KML file attached below), which passes through Harong Wet Lands.

We must have gone only a few kilometers ahead of Tangste, when we first spotted a small group of small horses grazing. Rigzin quickly went up to one and started petting it like a domesticated dog and Rahul too went to pose with it :D.

[​IMG]

Small horses grazing

[​IMG]

Our Scorpio was looking fantastic here, despite being 9 years old!

[​IMG]

Little further on, we spotted yaks grazing.

[​IMG]

And just as we were thinking that things just couldn't get better, just ahead of Harong Village, we spotted completely frozen river and promptly got out of the Scorpio and started walking on the fully frozen river. Happiest of us was Rigzin, who was trying to show us the strength of the frozen river by repeatedly pounding on it and skating across on normal shoes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All this while I had both of my gloves on and was having a hard time adjusting the CPL, but didn't wanted to take off my gloves, since my hands and in particular, fingers hadn't still warmed up after the earlier photography session on the frozen lake.

After a while we decided to head back to Tangste, as the sun was beginning to go down and we have had enough of photography.

Once we reached Tangste, we found out that 3 guys from Bangalore and another from Hyderabad (whom we had seen at Neha's last night) were also staying at the same guest house.

Rahul and I went to take a few shots from the roof of the Tangste Guest House and although the sun had already set by the time we got up, but we did manage to take a decent shot or two.

[​IMG]

In the process I once again got my fingers completely frozen and decided to come down, Rahul followed soon and after a while, we ran in to Anand and Sai! Who apparently after getting the permit, decided to head to Pangong Tso and have had to come back, from just before Spangmik, due to a frozen stream on the road.

We also got the news that the four others would be heading back to Karu tomorrow, since they didn't have permit for Chushul.

Which meant, tomorrow we would likely be attempting the Tangste - Chushul route alone or at max with Sai and Anand!

I finally ate a bit of sweets I had bought earlier in the day and drank protein powder and decided to hit the sack, while others went down for dinner.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day and also take us on a route, which I hadn't yet seen...

<-Previous Home Next ->

Attached Files:

6. sarab

sarab Rtring Around!

Fantastic shots there with very well narrated events.:)
    P.S: Btw how is your Quechua Forcalz shoes performed in the cold surrounding?

7. rahulsingh

rahulsingh Active Member

Nice captures YS. River looks deeply frozen and rock solid.

8. savage

savage Dream, discover & explore

Amazing..Yogesh bhai...
    speechless...........

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Thanks everyone

They were pretty alright, but I guess below -10 or so, they used to get cold or while standing on top of frozen river/lake.

10. ToughGuy

ToughGuy Active Member

Amazing no words are sufficient to express myself!