A Tourist’s Tale of Winter in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

That is where the political threads go.

2. cheguevara

cheguevara Guest

hmmmm...

3. vardhan.harsh

vardhan.harsh Guru

Do give the link of the "other political" thread on this one for our reference. If you guys are taking the discussions offline. I would be most interested to read, although very little to offer with my little experiences.

In other news: YS the thread is shaping very nicely with the right amount of oopmh factor. You have been using your equipments rather nicely given the extreme conditions you have been using them in. Taking your path, I believe, there'll be plenty of us on the forum who would plan a Ladakh trip coming winters! And soon it will become a regular affair for general public (off the forum as well). It will take time, of course, but it'll get there!

4. pops8906

pops8906 Well-Known Member

Splendid tale of adventure laced with superb captures

5. prem.arora

prem.arora Active Member

Wonderful Yogesh. Looking forward to it all.....

Cheers....

6. real.artist.ship

real.artist.ship Member

So far a fantastic , mind blowing journey with some superb photo journalism stuff in this log....without saying - I'm truly impressed!

Bravo YS & Team! :) :)

7. kkdelhi0123

kkdelhi0123 Member

good going yogesh ji, beautiful pics, nicely written, thanks for sharing. pangog lake look charming in winter too.

8. deepaktomar

deepaktomar Active Member

yogesh bhai excellent writeup with equally beutiful pictures.

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

29th December, Hanle

Woke up at around 3 in the night, coughing badly. Reached out for my phone, so that I could start its flashlight and wasn’t able to unlock it. On closer inspection I found that a thin layer of ice had formed over it, had to remove it and unlock the phone, start the flashlight and get cough syrup out of the medicine bag.

Thankfully the bed now felt warm and after about half an hour or so, I managed to go back to sleep.

Eventually woke up around 7 in the morning and also woke up Rahul, there was still no electricity. Drank some water and started getting ready, for toilet. Thankfully the ice layer on the floor of the toilet had thinned out and the balancing act was no longer too difficult. Though afterwards, I had to wash my hands with cold water, due to the fact that electricity had just came back and water still wasn’t hot enough.

Got back to the room and soon we were joined by Rigzin and Sai and Anand's driver. They have had a decent night, thanks to a known driver of Rigzin being at the power station below, where they were eventually able to park their cars.

Got the info from them that the other group of four had a terrible night and were puking throughout, even though they got better rooms with attached toilets (which no doubt, came in handy for them). They have also had to cancel their plans of going to Observatory at 6:30AM and were now planning to head straight back to Leh.

Sai and Anand too were still there, and were planning to head straight to Tso Moriri, while I left the decision of whether or not to go to Tso Moriri, to Rahul.

After getting ready we came down and found a water bottle in the car, which was left in it overnight and had completely frozen! Though I was still coughing occasionally and it was cold outside, I was feeling good and pepped up, especially since Tso Moriri was now on the card and we would be visiting Observatory soon.

However, all that changed, the moment I entered the dining room!

That room felt like an oven and the moment I sat down, I could feel a terrible pain in the back of my neck and head! Hard and somewhat dry bread wasn’t what my aching head ordered and chewing on them, only seemed to make matters worse.

Paid Rs. 400 per person as the fee for accommodation, dinner and breakfast and headed out to the car. By now the headache had increased and I knew, my plans for photography were all but screwed!

We drove up to the Hanle Observatory and despite repeated insistence from Rahul, I chose to wait for him outside, rather than go inside the Observatory and get the tour and in the process, once again go through hot and cold area.

Hanle Observatory

[​IMG]

While waiting outside, I managed to shoot a decent photograph of Hanle Monastery in the distance.

[​IMG]

Rahul came back a little while later, jubilant at the Observatory Tour he got and also thankful that I hadn’t taken his advice and gone to the Observatory, since it was just as hot as the dining room and even Rahul had to stand in the corridor for 10 minutes to acclimatize to the hotness, before proceeding inside. He also told me, that as per the weather instruments outside, the outside temperature even at 10AM and with sun shining bright, was around -7 Degree Celsius and relative humidity was at around 6%!

Rigzin then drove us to the Hanle Monastery and since there was small but steep trek involved and my head was still hurting like anything, I decided to stay outside, while Rahul went in for photography and Rigzin as usual, went in for prayers.

Of course I wasn't planning to spend the entire time inside the car, so after taking a disprin and some water, went outside for photography.

Hanle Monastery

[​IMG]

A small Buddhist temple and other buildings for the lamas.

[​IMG]

I even managed to shoot a somewhat ok panorama of the view I got.

[​IMG]

Afterwards I came inside the Scorpio, had some more water and just closed my eyes to meditate (which I almost never do) and each time I closed my eyes, the wind pounded the Scorpio hard enough to shake it with me inside! So eventually I took it as a divine sign, and postponed my idea of meditating :p.

Soon Rigzin was back and we started rolling downhill to pickup Rahul, who had taken a small trail from the monastery and was looking to beat the Scorpio downhill! :D

<-Previous Home NExt ->

10. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Exceptional panoramic view.
    You cut short the part, which Anupji had been waiting for. :grin: :p