A Tourist’s Tale of Winter in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. abhithakur

abhithakur AbHi

Yogesh you log will definetly increase the Winter income of Ladakhi people!!

Thanks for sharing the experience with such great photos.

2. dinki

dinki Member

I agree Amit.. Yogesh went too fast with the morning chores...:grin::grin:

3. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

29th December 2011, Hanle - Nyoma - Tso Moriri - Chumathang

After visiting Hanle Monastery, we started off for Tso Moriri and it was a fairly quite journey this time around (especially by our standards). Landscape though, was still as beautiful as ever.

[​IMG]

We were hoping to find something to eat at Nyoma, however every restaurant and tea shop was closed and we had to head to Tso Moriri, empty stomach.

After Mahe Bridge, landscape looked divine with frozen stream and golden colored shrubs frozen right in it, since the light wasn’t right, I thought I would shoot the photograph while coming back (which was a bad decision), plus I really wasn’t in a mood to get down from the vehicle.

Road to Tso Moriri had changed quite a bit, since I was last here in 2006, mainly due to the floods which had caused havoc in Ladakh in 2010. However it was Tso Kiagar, I was truly waiting for (it is a small lake before Tso Moriri, that I fell in love with, during last trip).

Soon enough, I could spot Tso Kiagar in a distance, completely frozen and with icy winds to boot!

[​IMG]

By the time I came back in to the Scorpio, I was slightly shivering and feeling feverish. But we still had some way to go, before we would reach Tso Moriri, which we were hoping, was frozen as well.

But it wasn’t, but looked spectacular nonetheless and Rigzin decided to take us on the road to Chumur, instead of the normal road to Korzok Village and I must say, it was a great decision, as we got some really different views of Tso Moriri, which was looking as if a few truckloads of ink had fallen in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was soon back inside the Scorpio and Rigzin borrowed my camera for a while, must say, he is a good photographer as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I was really feeling cold and coughing and headache had increased slightly as well and with the sun going down, it was time to head back to Chumathang, passing the same frozen stream and golden colored shrubs I had hoped to photograph while coming back, but had no energy left to do just that.

A little while after Mahe, we caught Sai and Anand’s Qualis and from there on, we moved almost together till Chumathang, where we were hoping to spend the night.

Once at Chumathang, Rigzin went in search of the guest house owner, while Sai enjoyed the steam bath from the hot spring.

[​IMG]

Rooms had no heaters, but had attached toilets which were working and one had to go a long way to get food. The only solace was that the mobile network (BSNL) was working and I was able to call back home.

Rahul volunteered to get some food back for me, as I was in no mood to go outside again and that too, so far and was instead planning to eat whatever we were carrying and go to sleep. Half an hour later, Rahul returned with some parathas and coffee and that provided the much needed relief and energy.

The good thing was, despite the wind still coming inside the room through a slightly cracked window glass and no heating source, thanks to the hot springs, once inside the quilt, it was quite comfortable.

After dinner, Sai, Anand and Rahul came back and we had a good bakar session, till the lights went out and we finally decided to go to sleep.

<-Previous Home Next ->

Attached Files:

4. BULL_Bola

BULL_Bola Member

LOved the frozen Kiagar Tso among the beautiful set of pics!!

5. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

This is the post I was waiting for, most.
    Tso Moriri.
    Un-believably beautiful. Blown away.

6. prakhardeep

prakhardeep Guest

Voww YS, is the lake that blue by default or you have modified the pic though some filters/PP ??

7. cheguevara

cheguevara Guest

Rigzin is quite a poser and a nice photographer too...

Quite a talent !!!

8. SachinOnTop

SachinOnTop Full Use Else Lose

Fantabulous update... and the lake is somewhat more blue than ever seen on any pic on BCMT! :eek:

Pour more! :)

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

10. mindless wanderer

mindless wanderer with age, get a cage!

Lovely update YS.

Tso actually look slike somebody has poured "Chelpark Royal Blue Ink" in it

Beautiful vistas.

Cheers