A Tourist’s Tale of Winter in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

One of the lakes which gets frozen earliest, and gets thawed the last is Kyun Tso
    It remains partially frozen till first week of june sometimes, and I am told it gets frozen by late november.
    After all its at 5100mts. Higher than most of the rest.

2. ntomer

ntomer Guest

Last year I found Tsoltak frozen even in mid-June....

3. Metallica_27

Metallica_27 The name is "Vibhu"

Amazing Pics YS and lovely narration......but most of it what is interesting is the condition one face from nature.......Hats off to you.....hope you are well now.

4. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

30th December, Chumathang - Upshi - Leh

Woke up in the middle of the night, coughing badly and then just couldn’t go back to the sleep, since as soon as I used to lie down, I used to start coughing again. Hot water and cough syrup only provided temporary relief and by morning, I had only slept for around couple of hours and was looking like a wreck.

Rahul tried to get me out of the bed and outside, but I was in no mood. So while he, Sai and Anand went out for photography and then breakfast, I stayed put, sleeping while sitting on the bed. Ultimately, I puked a lot of cough and some water out and only then felt better enough lie down and catch some sleep, which was really refreshing.

In the meanwhile, Rahul came back with noodles and tea and announced that he along with Sai and Anand was going to take a bath in the hot springs! Well that was great news for me, as I could rest a little longer :p.

However, after eating and drinking tea, I decided to start getting ready. Went out for a short while, just the breath in the fresh air and soak up some beautiful sun.

Our room

[​IMG]

Place from the outside

[​IMG]

Soon the trio was back and after a while, we headed out for our car to take us back to Leh. Although I was feeling better than yesterday and a lot better than what I feeling last night, I wasn’t really in a mood for photography and instead concentrated on the usual bakar and enjoying the passing scenery.

Since we were now back on the tourist circuit, that Sai and Anand’s driver was familiar with, he really put the paddle to the metal and left us far behind. But it was just their luck, that each time we caught them back within half an hour or so, due to road widening work taking place at various places.

[​IMG]

En route we stopped at Karu for lunch and ate some decent rajma chawal, though Rahul was really in mood for samosa, so before heading back to our hotel, we stopped at the Leh Main Market and went back to Neha's for some delicious samosas with a serving of cholas.

After having our fill, we were back at Shanti Guest House and saw from outside itself, that Sai and Anand had taken up our room. Thought nothing of it, till we went to their room, which was now allocated to us and saw that that bathroom was really tiny!

Even though the buggers got our room with larger bathroom, we took solace in informing them that Rahul had taken a heat bath on that bed, that too in his underwear :grin:.

After dinner, it was time for bakar and we stayed up till around mid night, even though the lights went out at around 10:30.

Tomorrow, we would be covering the monastery circuit and biding farewell to Sai and Anand, who would be heading to Nubra Valley.

<-Previous Home Next ->

Attached Files:

5. RajeshPunia

RajeshPunia Well-Known Member

Admin rocking.....

YS !! Lovely presentation as usual..
    Pics are superb...

6. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Thanks everyone

Tanveer and NTomer, it is quite surprising that these lakes remain frozen till so later.

7. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Nubra coming up, Another reason for checking every update of thread. :)

2012, 16 Jan? Its yet to come. :grin:

8. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

Yogesh you have not coughed up enough photographs :grin:

nice account though..:)

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

May be some Maya'n predictions ;)

9. cheguevara

cheguevara Guest

YS whatever you are dishing I am sure everybody is lapping it up but still we wont mind more pics !!!

10. narender

narender DRIFTER

I had same cough problem on the first day of my recent Jaiselmair trip and had to spent entire night sitting on a chair because that was the only comfortable posture.As soon as i lied on the bed cough would resume and make my life miserable.:(
    Allegra 180 and one other tablet finally curbed my acute cough and made me sleep around 6 am .
    Next 4 days,i kept taking those tablets(thrice a day) and controlled my cough and trip was smooth.
    That was a terrible night.
    I could empathize with you Yogesh.:(