A Tourist’s Tale of Winter in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Sarkar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cheguevara

cheguevara Guest

MasterJi please take care...hope you are feeling better now...

2. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Sai and Anand are supposed to head to Nubra, we are supposed to go to Monasteries :p

hehe thanks

Neither would I, start bugging Rahul for them :grin:

Thats too bad sir, good that those tablets work. I usually take Vicks Action 500 in case of cold, strong but effective. However, I forgot to take them with me on the trip and after reaching Leh, I really didn't wanted to take any strong medicines, since a part of me felt that this cough could also be due to Altitude Sickness.

3. cheguevara

cheguevara Guest

Rahul blesses us "once in a blue moon"...

we are all dependent on your little mercies...

YS...please shower some !!! ;)

4. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Oops, read it again, like Dkay mised comma, I missed "who" :p
    Anyways, Monasteries are good :)

5. Yogesh Sarkar

31st December 2011, Hemis Monastery

Got up somewhat lazily in the morning with comparatively comfortable night, got ready and came down to the dining room, expecting only Rahul to be present there, only to learn that Sai and Anand were there as well!

Turns out that the group of four, who we had met at Tangste and Hanle, had gone to Nubra Valley yesterday and has had to return, since they couldn’t find accommodation anywhere! Poor chaps reached their hotel at around 9pm last night and since Sai and Anand didn’t plan to start too early in the morning, they decided to do the monastery circuit with us and visit Nubra Valley tomorrow, after we leave :).

That was great, we all chatted and waited for Rigzin to arrive and then, headed towards Hemis Monastery, our first stop for the day.

While I love Ladakh and Ladakhis and also adore the monasteries, I hate the fact that one has to climb up so much, to reach them. Hemis was no different, but stunning to boot as well.

[​IMG]

Hemis Monastery prayer wheel

[​IMG]

After a lot of huffing and puffing, I finally reached inside the monastery and was then treated to a guided tour by the lama present there.

A Wall Painting

[​IMG]

Prayer Hall and Main temple

[​IMG]

Statues of Deities

[​IMG]

Praying scripture, drum and other prayer paraphernalia

[​IMG]

Walking inside the main temple bare feet was a chilling experience to say the least and by now my throat was completely dry and I was coughing once again.

So while others headed to see the older temple, I headed back to the car, to drink some water and rest.

<-Previous Home Next ->

6. cheguevara

cheguevara Guest

Beautiful Pics YS of the Hemis Monastery...its great to see that you managed to click these awesome pics inspite of the fact you were not at your 100%...

commendable is the word...

7. RajeshPunia

RajeshPunia Well-Known Member

wonderful pics of Hemis Monastery. Wall painting pic is just superb..

8. Bobby_Roy

Bobby_Roy Member

Absolutely amazing, this! I have been constantly reading through the text and gawking at the photographs. MAZAA aa gaya, Yogesh! Just awesome!!

9. KurtRules

KurtRules Come as you are!

Nice read! Though I do miss more pics, but can understand as you were in a pretty bad shape, which I think may have been an obstacle and a let down to an otherwise awesome trip!.

10. Yogesh Sarkar

Thanks guys, next part is coming up.