A trip to Gopalpur , Rambha, Barkul and Taratarini Temple Odhisa March 25 -29 2016

Discussion in 'Travelogues from East and North-East India' started by Prabir Sarkar, May 25, 2016.

1. Prabir Sarkar

Prabir Sarkar Member

As the exams were over I was looking for trip with my family i.e. my wife and 13 year old son

Vehicle chosen my new 2 month old Swift VXI self-driven.

Routes followed for the Trip Kolkata-Balasore-Bhubaneswar-Rambha-Gopalpur

Some precautions I followed as the car has only covered 525km so I restricted the speed to double digit speeds not more than 80kmph before the car crossed 1000km as I know this will happen along the journey. I already booked the OTDC panthanivas at Rambha (25th -26th March) and Gopalpur (27th – 28th March) from Kolkata through their online portal.

On 24th I filled up the tank up to the brim and set the Tyre pressure to 34psi, checked all the liquids and set for the go by 5pm on 25th March

25th March Kolkata to Rambha

We woke up at 4am sharp did our daily chores took bath and got ready by 5am.We wanted to keep our car light so we carried as little luggage as possible only on e23” Cabin size soft suitcase , two 5ltr water bottles and some hand bags filled with food and snacks.

We started sharp at 5.25am and headed towards second hoogly bridge. Since 25th was Good Friday it was holiday and roads were absolutely clear so we did not stop at Kolaghat and reached Phanskura by 7am where we took a break of 20min and had tea. As you reach near Kharagpur you have to be care full for the left turn to NH-60 which I missed due to carelessness travelled through Kharagpur Rly settlement followed state highway and joined NH-60 some where near Basgreya and around 40 mins were lost in this detour.

But we reached border Jaleswar Toll Plaza without any fuss as the roads were clear and there was not a single que and no local rush so we easily crossed it in fact I have taken a snap just after crossing it. We reached Bhadrak and took break to have our lunch as we were quite hungry. On the way we stopped at Jajpur for a watermelon break as watermelons of Odhissa are famous.

We reached Bhubaneswar by 1.45pm refueled at IOC pump and left for Rambha by 2pm.Altough NH-5 crosses through the city of Cuttack and Bhubaneswar traffic is not of a concern as all the flyovers are complete so you cross from end to end point without any disruption.

After travelling for 15km suddenly my wife realized we could have stopped at Khandagiri/Udaygiri for a visit. So we took a u turn and reached Khandagiri.After parking the car we climbed at Kahndagiri/Udaygiri took some nice snaps of Bhubaneswar city. As we were already getting late I told my wife and son to hurry and left Khandagiri at 3.25pm for Rambha.

The roads after Khandagiri are clear and very few traffic. You enjoy the scenic beauty as the Eastern Ghats accompany youal the way and cross the Khallikote forest range. The road intersection for Rambha is well marked on the NH-5 on the left you enter the village road but it is well laid although narrow. Finally we reached Rambha OTDC panthanivas at 5.45pm.

After keeping our bags in the room we went outside to the Jetty of Rambha adjoining Panthanivas a decent one with seats all around where you can enjoy the cool breeze and spent our evening there. After spending some time we returned to our rooms had an early dinner as we feeling tired after the 12 hours journey and retired for the day.

26th March

Rambha Barkul local Trip

Next day we woke up early to enjoy the sun rise over chilka went towards the Jetty to enjoy the beauty of early morning. To my opinion natural beauty of Rambha is more than Barkul. As most of the boating and rides are from Barkul so after breakfast I went to Barkul which is about 25km from Rambha. After parking our car we went to the jetty and hired a boat to famous Kalijayi Island. The boat ride is really enjoying. It is a 45min boat ride from Barkul on chilka. While on chilka you will find all those sea gulls all around you on the lakes. On reaching Kalijayi there is the famous Kalijayi Temple where we offered some prayer and spent some time there roaming around. We returned to Barkul at around 3pm and went to Panthanivas Barkul for a late lunch. The restaurant is maintained by OTDC and is a nice one. The quality of food is good and tasty. Since we were at chilka we always had crab or prawn in our menu in lunch or dinner. After the days trip we returned to Rambha .In the evening we spent some time at the Rambha Jetty enjoying the nice cool breeze .The breeze is so strong that it will feel to be driven away. If your rooms are lake facing you don’t require any ac rooms at all. The same is true in case of gopalpur too. After a good dinner we retired for the day.

27th March Gopalpur

After breakfast we packed our baggage’s and left for Gopalpur which is around 40km from Rambha. Gopalpur on sea is well marked on NH-5 so we fallowed the bifurcation to the village road that takes you to Gopalpur. Although the village road is narrow but it is smooth and free from traffic and we reached our OTDC panthanivas by 9 o clock. The panthanivas has adjoining beach which is free from the local crowd and regular hulla gulla. Immediately we went for sea bath after keeping or bags in our room. We came back to our room after bath at sea and went for local tour. We visited the main beach and old fort area. The light house is no more open to public as it is being taken up by the Military. Evening we spent our time in old beach area where most of the shops and hotels are situated. Gopalpur on sea is a very small area if compared to Puri even Digha is bigger. Activity is mainly enjoy the sea and it gusty cool breeze all through the day.

28th March Taratarini Temple

After breakfast we headed for Taratarini temple around 45km from Gopalpur . It is the 2nd most famous temple after Puri in Odhissa. It is a good experience as you get a 2.5km ghat road climb way to the Temple. From the top you get the nice view all round . There is a ropeway from temple to the ground. After offering puja we spent some time there took some nice snaps and returned to Pantahnivas in the afternoon. Since 28th was our last day of the trip we went to the main beach area spent our time till late evening enjoying ice cream junk food .We returned late did our packing and went to sleep.

29th March Return to Kolkata

Although we woke up early we decided to leave Gopalpur after having our breakfast, so we left Gopalpur at 8.30am.We fallowed the same route through NH-5 and reached Bhubaneswar at 10.15am .We refueled at the same IOC pump had some tea and drove nonstop till Bhadrak. At Bhadrak we took a tea break for 20min and drove nonstop near Balasore for lunch at a roadside Dhaba. After lunch we left Bhadrak at 3.30pm and drove nonstop to Kolaghat Sheri Punjab by 7pm.The return journey was stressful as the outside temperature was around 40C in Odhissa and the entire journey was against the sun. We had some snacks at Sheri Punjab ordered our dinner in parcel and left for Kolkata by 8pm from there. The drive from Kolaghat to Kolkata was a slow one as most of the Truck traffic to Kolkata was already there and there was heavy Kolkata bound traffic also. Still we managed to reach home by 10.15pm.

Trip logs

Total distance traveled including local sight seen 1450km.

Fuel 75 ltrs with AC on 99%

Toll Charges around Rs.1400 up and down

Journey time including break 12 hours. Real time 10hours

Speed maintained 80kmph – 90kmph with few shots of 100plus

Road conditions excellent

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_20160325_092452.jpg

IMG_20160325_092616.jpg

IMG_20160325_170915.jpg

IMG_20160325_170929.jpg

IMG_20160326_105810.jpg

IMG_20160326_105816.jpg

IMG_20160329_112323.jpg

IMG_20160329_115643.jpg

IMG_20160329_125419.jpg

IMG_20160329_130538.jpg

2. sanuroxz

sanuroxz Super User

Loved the report :)

A warm welcome to the Forum

Prabir Sarkar likes this.
  3. NeerajVayu

NeerajVayu Well-Known Member

Good start sirji

Prabir Sarkar likes this.
  4. sajalsheth

sajalsheth Still Learning ©

5. pyal_p

pyal_p Well-Known Member

6. Prabir Sarkar

Prabir Sarkar Member

As we all know the Swift is a very trusted vehicle and behaved well in our entire trip not single problem at all. It is a great car for long trip at an affordable cost. Only space may be a concern for some but we are used to it.
    The most enjoyable part of Swift it loves to be revved and chews up kilometers like anything and drive comfort is better than competition.

pyal_p likes this.
  7. Prabir Sarkar

Prabir Sarkar Member

8. Prabir Sarkar

Prabir Sarkar Member

9. Prabir Sarkar

Prabir Sarkar Member

10. Prabir Sarkar

Prabir Sarkar Member