A Trip To Wayanad

Discussion in 'Travelogues from South India' started by bulldozer, Apr 6, 2010.

1. bulldozer

bulldozer Member

It was an unplanned trip. The planned one was to visit home. But due to some developments we couldn't go home. By the time we realized that, we decided to go somewhere and have that much needed break. We didn't want to go site seeing but wanted some good stay and rest. First choice was Coorg as we haven't visited the place yet. Called 4-5 top rated places to find out if there was vacancy available. All places were full and as it was a long weekend and since we were calling with just 4 days to go. Next was Wayanad. We had visited here last September. We knew the place was good but wasn't that excited since we had already been there. But as i mentioned what we really needed was a good break.We didn't want to go to the same place we visited last time as we didn't like it. Searched the net and saw Aranyakam. Was apprehensive to call as we feared it would be full. But thankfully it wasn't so.

My car was due for service. So immediately got it done. We wanted to start by 7, but by the time we started, it was 9.

Date:April 2-4

Route:
    Bannerghatta road -> Mysore Road->Mysore->Gundalpet->Sulthan Bathery-> Kozhikode route->Ambalavayal->Rippon

Travelers: Me and my wife
    Vehicle: WagonR Duo Lxi

Tools: Panasonic FZ35, Garmin 205w with Satguide Map

We had packed breakfast and lunch

Some snaps

Getting into NICE road from Bannerghatta road
    P1000700.jpg

A Premier Padmini
    Copy of P1000701.jpg

Thru Bandipur

P1000705.jpg

P1000714.jpg

P1000721.jpg

Will try to post next set tonight.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Lovely start Bulldozer !!
    Loved the shot of bamboo trees !!

3. PrashantBhardwaj

PrashantBhardwaj Lost and found in Ladakh!

Nice start... and Bamboo Trees shot looks good....

4. bulldozer

bulldozer Member

hiambuj/prashant,
    Thanks a lot. Happy to know you enjoyed it. This is my first attempt writing a travelogue .

5. hiambuj

You are going good, go ahead, post next part !!

6. DL8S AB 9501

DL8S AB 9501 Rajasthan Calling!!

Must be a interesting log Bull.....
    Post some more pics .....
    You must have went to suchipara (dont remember exact name) waterfalls & sanctuary post pics.
    Waiting eagerly

7. bulldozer

bulldozer Member

@hiambuj,
    will post the next one soon. tried yesterday. but after a long wait to finish photo uploads, i got an error message.

@ mods,
    dont remember the exact error message i got. but something like token mismatch. Why is this coming?

@DL8S,

Yeah, it is sujipara. We didnt go there. I had been there before. And since it was long weekend, the crowd would have been more there. So skipped it. As I mentioned, we were not too interested in sight seeing. But we went to a small waterfall called Kanthanpara. will post pics soon

8. bulldozer

bulldozer Member

We had 2 stops for snacks and lunch. Once we passed Mysore, we used the help of Garmin to get route to Gundalpet and then to Sulthan Bathery

As we approached Sulthan Bathery, we called to Aranyakam to get the route from here. We missed couple of turns in between and reached some dead end on steep inclination and bad roads. Managed to safely navigate back. By 3.30 we reached Aranyakam. We were welcomed by the members of the family. It is owned by Rajesh and Neema. We parked the car and we were taken to our room. It was in the center of first floor. They have 8 rooms and a Tree hut. The tree hut they have right now is being renovated. A new one is also coming up.

We quickly took a bath. Tea was ready and after that we took a small walk inside their plantation. We proceeded towards the Tree Hut. It as actually on the edge of the hill (or is it a mountain?). The stairs that lead inside is almost on the edge.The view from the balcony is breath taking. I have seen photos of tree huts before and have been in one during my last visit to Wayanad. But the view that you get from here is, believe me... absolutely mind blowing. Photos may not be able to capture what we actually see and feel.
    (Note: This is a tree hut and not a tree top)

We spent sometime here and went back to our Room.

We had the dinner around 8. Both of us are vegetarians. we had Chappathi, 2 curries, Appam, home grown Papaya. We also got payasam which was prasad from nearby temple. Incidentally it happened to be the festival there.

As they had a small family get together that time, they didnt take any other guests except us. We enjoyed that as the place wasn't over crowded. All were family members and we were made extremely comfortable by them. They were excellent hosts.

Im unable to upload photos. will try again

9. hiambuj

What is the issue/problem you are facing in uploading pics ??

10. bulldozer

bulldozer Member

It takes a looong time. And then it gives me an error message. Will note it next time but some 'token mismatch'