A weekend trip to Kashmir - April '19

nadz11.ns

Super User
After an enjoyable day, I was thinking of going to an unfamiliar place where I haven't been to. There are many places but were not recommended because of election season.
I have had my mind on going to Margan Top for quite some time now. But since this Pass is not on the traditional route, the plan never materialised. This trip being the one where I was not following any fixed itinerary, I decided to go for it. But I was apprehensive whether to route would be cleared of snow or not.

Woke up fresh and got ready after having breakfast. Today as well, we took only my motorcycle for the ride.
The route is the same as Sinthan Top till Larnoo, where we have to take a left diversion instead of going straight.

Stopped to click this frame before Kokernag

A (1).jpg

After taking the diversion for left and after Vailoo, smaller villages dot the route.

A (2).jpg

A (3).jpg

We stocked up on snacks and water as there aren't any options on the route.
Few kilometres past the last village stopped to click this frame.
A (4).jpg

A couple of turns later, the tarmac ends and a dirt type road leads the way and the ascent begins.
Saw these nomad houses on the other side of the road. Seem to be empty as of now.
A (6).jpg

A (5).jpg

The scenery of this area was truly mesmerising. The road had not been stabilised yet and there were several landslide zones and deep slushy sections. Many water crossings were there which were bigger and deeper on our return. It was challenging at sections with a pillion, but we managed it. We stopped many times for pics.

A (7).jpg

A (8).jpg

A (9).jpg

A (10).jpg

A (11).jpg

A (13).jpg

On one of the breaks, I spotted this amazing scene with a beautiful halo around the sun. It was more beautiful and colourful in real, but this capture should give an idea.
A (15).jpg

A (16).jpg

A (17).jpg

A (18).jpg

A (19).jpg

A (20).jpg

A (14).jpg

At around where we thought the top might be based on the distance covered, we say this flag at the side and thought this to be it.

A (22).jpg

A (23).jpg

A (24).jpg

But I had seen proper board markings at the top on a few pics over the internet. So rode further down the road. It was extremely slushy after this point.
A few kilometres later and we reach the Top :grin:

A (32).jpg

A (26).jpg

A (25).jpg

A (27).jpg

A (29).jpg

A (31).jpg

The road leads to Warwan Valley which I have heard is extremely beautiful and full of unspoiled beauty. It has not yet been spoiled by the tourist mania, so a visit in coming months is due. One more thing, there are 4 lakes called off the road about 2hr trek from the Top.

Some pics I clicked from the Top.

A (33).jpg

A (34).jpg

A (35).jpg

A (36).jpg

A (37).jpg

A (38).jpg

By the time we were on our way back, the water crossings had increased in size. Almost whole of the drirt road was wet.
Here I stopped to wade into ankle deep icy water and take this pic. :p
But I like the result. Would have liked to move a bit towards left, but there wasn't any room to move further.

A (41).jpg

Behind the scenes :grin:
A (42).jpg

A (43).jpg

A couple of shots at the next water crossing.

A (45).jpg

A (44).jpg

Moving on, stopped a few more times till the point where the tarmac starts. After that, we rode straight home as I was pretty tired riding the whole day.

A (46).jpg

A (47).jpg

A (49).jpg

A (50).jpg

A (52).jpg

A (53).jpg

A (54).jpg

Toll officer :grin:
A (55).jpg

We reached back just before dark.
It was a fantastic day of riding and I got to explore one of the places on my wishlist for the season.
The bike performed flawlessly and the tyres are utterly perfect. Offered excellent grip and never fish tailed.
I rode back to Jammu the next day and so concluded the trip of 823kms.

I hope the thread is fun to go through.
Feedback appreciated.
Cheers.

Last edited:
After an enjoyable day, I was thinking of going to an unfamiliar place where I haven't been to. There are many places but were not recommended because of election season.
I have had my mind on going to Margan Top for quite some time now. But since this Pass is not on the traditional route, the plan never materialised. This trip being the one where I was not following any fixed itinerary, I decided to go for it. But I was apprehensive whether to route would be cleared of snow or not.

Woke up fresh and got ready after having breakfast. Today as well, we took only my motorcycle for the ride.
The route is the same as Sinthan Top till Larnoo, where we have to take a left diversion instead of going straight.

Stopped to click this frame before Kokernag

View attachment 765570

After taking the diversion for left and after Vailoo, smaller villages dot the route.

View attachment 765571

View attachment 765572

We stocked up on snacks and water as there aren't any options on the route.
Few kilometres past the last village stopped to click this frame.
View attachment 765573

A couple of turns later, the tarmac ends and a dirt type road leads the way and the ascent begins.
Saw these nomad houses on the other side of the road. Seem to be empty as of now.
View attachment 765575

View attachment 765574

The scenery of this area was truly mesmerising. The road had not been stabilised yet and there were several landslide zones and deep slushy sections. Many water crossings were there which were bigger and deeper on our return. It was challenging at sections with a pillion, but we managed it. We stopped many times for pics.

View attachment 765577

View attachment 765578

View attachment 765579

View attachment 765580

View attachment 765581

View attachment 765582

On one of the breaks, I spotted this amazing scene with a beautiful halo around the sun. It was more beautiful and colourful in real, but this capture should give an idea.
View attachment 765584

View attachment 765585

View attachment 765586

View attachment 765587

View attachment 765588

View attachment 765589

At around where we thought the top might be based on the distance covered, we say this flag at the side and thought this to be it.

View attachment 765590

View attachment 765591

View attachment 765592

But I had seen proper board markings at the top on a few pics over the internet. So rode further down the road. It was extremely slushy after this point.
A few kilometres later and we reach the Top :grin:

View attachment 765593

View attachment 765595

View attachment 765594

View attachment 765596

View attachment 765597

View attachment 765598

The road leads to Warwan Valley which I have heard is extremely beautiful and full of unspoiled beauty. It has not yet been spoiled by the tourist mania, so a visit in coming months is due. One more thing, there are 4 lakes called off the road about 2hr trek from the Top.

Some pics I clicked from the Top.

View attachment 765600

View attachment 765601

View attachment 765602

View attachment 765603

View attachment 765604

View attachment 765605

By the time we were on our way back, the water crossings had increased in size. Almost whole of the drirt road was wet.
Here I stopped to wade into ankle deep icy water and take this pic. :p
But I like the result. Would have liked to move a bit towards left, but there wasn't any room to move further.

View attachment 765606

Behind the scenes :grin:
View attachment 765607

View attachment 765608

A couple of shots at the next water crossing.

View attachment 765610

View attachment 765609

Moving on, stopped a few more times till the point where the tarmac starts. After that, we rode straight home as I was pretty tired riding the whole day.

View attachment 765611

View attachment 765612

View attachment 765613

View attachment 765614

View attachment 765615

View attachment 765616

View attachment 765617

Toll officer :grin:
View attachment 765618

We reached back just before dark.
It was a fantastic day of riding and I got to explore one of the places on my wishlist for the season.
The bike performed flawlessly and the tyres are utterly perfect. Offered excellent grip and never fish tailed.
I rode back to Jammu the next day and so concluded the trip of 823kms.

I hope the thread is fun to go through.
Feedback appreciated.
Cheers.
Nice Poster worth photos. Is the lens NIKKOR 18mm- 140mm ?!

Alpha

Going to Neverland
beautiful photographs..thoroughly enjoyed the log

Sinthan pass and Margan pass has been on my wish-list for far too long now :rolleyes:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Fabulous. You seemed to have mastered the art of slow motion photography on this trip. I cannot wait to see more such trips through your lens :).

Oh yes, sharing this on BCMT Social Media channels.

nadz11.ns

Super User
WOW WOW WOW. Such beautiful pics. Cannot imagine how beautiful it is in real!
Thank you.. :)
This region is amazing. And as on now, still full of natural beauty.
You should visit this side and no need to worry about safety. This part of Kashmir doesn't see any disturbaces these days.
Nice Poster worth photos. Is the lens NIKKOR 18mm- 140mm ?!
Thank you.. :)
Yes, it is the Nikkor 18-140mm lens.
beautiful photographs..thoroughly enjoyed the log

Sinthan pass and Margan pass has been on my wish-list for far too long now :rolleyes:
Thank you very much.. :)
You should make a trip. Sinthan Top has smooth tarmac for the most part from both side, so it more of a scenic drive.
Fabulous. You seemed to have mastered the art of slow motion photography on this trip. I cannot wait to see more such trips through your lens :).

Oh yes, sharing this on BCMT Social Media channels.
Thank you for the lovely comment and sharing.. :)

Using a ND filter has a learning curve and now that I looking at the pics on a big screen, there are many things I could have improved on. But using for the first time, I am happy with the results. Looking forward to use it more on coming trips.
Nadeem-source and price of these tyres requested
I purchased them from Amazon for 15k a pair.
Pirelli Scorpion Rally SRT