Accelerate completion of Darcha – Padum – Nimmu route, write councilors to PM

Admin01

Administrator
LAHDC Councilors from Lingshed and Skyu-Markha Constituencies have written to the Prime Minister, asking him to help expedite the building of the all-weather Darcha – Padum – Nimmu road to Ladakh.

The road has been under development since 1999 when it was envisioned as an alternate to Srinagar – Leh, and Manali – Leh Highway and was supposed to provide all-year road connectivity to Ladakh.

However, the project has been running behind schedule and now has a deadline of 2020, however, it can be further delayed. It is expected that the road between Chilling and Zangla and between Darcha and Padum would be through by next year.

The work on building the tunnel under Shinku La (also referred to as Shingo La) is expected to take 3 years to complete and it is only after this tunnel is built that the route would actually be an all-weather road to Ladakh!

amitjatt

I saw the road last year from darcha side road had been completed till last 2-3 km before shingo la pass.
LAHDC Councilors from Lingshed and Skyu-Markha Constituencies have written to the Prime Minister, asking him to help expedite the building of the all-weather Darcha – Padum – Nimmu road to Ladakh.

The road has been under development since 1999 when it was envisioned as an alternate to Srinagar – Leh, and Manali – Leh Highway and was supposed to provide all-year road connectivity to Ladakh.

However, the project has been running behind schedule and now has a deadline of 2020, however, it can be further delayed. It is expected that the road between Chilling and Zangla and between Darcha and Padum would be through by next year.

The work on building the tunnel under Shinku La (also referred to as Shingo La) is expected to take 3 years to complete and it is only after this tunnel is built that the route would actually be an all-weather road to Ladakh!
Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Admin01

Administrator
Yes, but the issue is, it not only needs to connect to Padum, the road between Padum and Chilling needs to be completed as well. To make matters worse, until Shingo La gets a tunnel, this route too would be seasonal.

amitjatt

Till zangla road was present but majority of work was on darcha - padum road only.
Yes, but the issue is, it not only needs to connect to Padum, the road between Padum and Chilling needs to be completed as well. To make matters worse, until Shingo La gets a tunnel, this route too would be seasonal.

amitjatt

Sir i also came to know about a road from dawar, bandipora to drass, civilians are denied to use it, but there is a road.
Zangla to Chilling has been under construction for since early 2000 and it is still far from completion.

Admin01

Administrator
Sir i also came to know about a road from dawar, bandipora to drass, civilians are denied to use it, but there is a road.

Yes, I had a look and there is one visible on Google Earth. There is even one under construction (it could have even been completed), that runs from Batalik to Turtuk. But these areas aren't likely going to be open for civilians for a long time to come.

amitjatt

Recently the offroad club based in srinagar got the permission actually, but due to bad weather couldn't complete the whole circuit till drass.
Yes, I had a look and there is one visible on Google Earth. There is even one under construction (it could have even been completed), that runs from Batalik to Turtuk. But these areas aren't likely going to be open for civilians for a long time to come.

Admin01

Administrator
Recently the offroad club based in srinagar got the permission actually, but due to bad weather couldn't complete the whole circuit till drass.

That's good news. Looking forward to someone doing that route and reporting on it.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Status of Darcha to Padum Road

Rajendra884 RP

Published on May 15, 2018
SUBSCRIBE 483
This is an interaction with Mr. Tsering Dorjay, then Zonal Education Officer at Padum for Zanskar Valley, Ladakh, who explained in detail the status of road linking Padum, Zanskar Valley with Leh-Manali Highway, via Darcha. Dtd 17-Aug-2017

@gurughummakad is now on BCMT

Last edited: