Adrenaline running high for 12 days – Trip of Lifetime

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Nitin Singla, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Nitin Singla

Nitin Singla nitin.singla

"A dream is a wish your heart makes."

It all started with a dream that I had one night; it was I was living a life I want to be in. Suddenly I heard loud noise “Oye tune office nahi jana kya” and it broke my dream and brought me to the real world. I told my roommate you could have waked me a few minutes late, I would have completed my dream and he started to laugh and said this is what a roommate is for. With dream still in my eyes, I started for work. As soon as I reached office, the first word I heard was ‘Leh’ and I instantly said that’s it, that was my dream last night.

Looks like even the God was giving some sort off indication that buddy go and live for some days. And after that it all started by looking on OLX and local dealers to find my dream ride and rest is history.

I started narrowing down on type of vehicle on which I wanted to accomplish this trip. And the name I had in my mind was our one and only ‘Royal Enfeild’.

I asked my brother to search a bike for me at my native town and was bit hesitated to discuss this with my parents initially, but I took the courage to inform about my plans to buy a bike and to go on a trip to LEH. I initially discussed with my mom and explained everything, you know Moms are Moms and she has a soft corner for you, you know what I mean and as all mothers have pet dialogue to say no ‘Papa se puch le, Main is baare mein baat nahi karungi’. And in my mind two words came ‘Lag Gayi’. And when I started to talked to my father he was totally in denial mode (seems like mom has leaked my intentions). At the end was able to persuade them. J

I started finalising the bike. And one fine day when I was in office I received a whatsapp from my brother, When I checked that message I saw pics of multiple bikes that he has finalised for me. I was just checking those pics and in between he called me and said ‘Beta, Bike lai ti teri (I have bought a bike for you)’. I was shocked, I said when, where, from whom, model, colour, cc. He just replied come home and see yourself. I said what !!!! and next day early morning I left for my home.

And I can tell you it was love at first sight after looking at that bike. I thanked my brother.

First Pic of Bike -
    [​IMG]

2. Nitin Singla

To Be Continued .......
    IMG-20160626-WA0021.jpg

3. Nitin Singla

Planning and Preprations –
    I started planning about the trip in my mind and after few days I discussed my friends. They opine me that this trip is not easy, you should go someplace nearer first like Shri Hemkunt Sahib, Manali etc. But I know that those three letters are the letters that I want to feel and I said to them this is the place I am going, if you want to join me, Thank You. But please don’t give opinions, I have plenty of them already. One of my close friend from the group agreed to join me on the trip, but with a big clause ‘Manager nal gal karnde chuttian di’ (Let me talk to my manager for leaves). I said ok.

I started to plan the complete trip on papers by reading multiple blogs, taking advice from the people who have already visited that place and rough plan was to enter via Manali and Back via Shrinagar route and had mentioned all the places to visit.

I knew this was a rough plan, but at least I was happy that I had a plan. Then I started to make a list of accessories that I need to have, precautions that I have to take care of, prerequisites that I have to do and I tell you one thing my best companion was BCMTouring.

I started searching on web the best gear I can get in my budget (Jacket, Gloves, Guards, Helmet etc etc). And going through multiple forums and blogs on web I zeroed down on accessories I need and of which brand I will buy.

1. Helmet – Studds
    2. Jacket – Rynox Tornado Pro
    3. Gloves – Any Waterproof
    4. Guards – Scoyco

On one weekend I decided to go to explore the market in Delhi to find the brands I have short listed or if any other better option is available.

I went to Karol Bagh market and I was not happy as I was not able to find the product I was looking for, at the same time I also checked online. But to my luck the product was not available there too and I returned home empty. I decided to focus on my bike accessories first till the time I find the right gear to buy. I made a list of accessories that I may need on the trip.

1. Leh Carrier
    2. Leg Gurads
    3. Flashers
    4. Night CRE LED Lights

For this particular list I decided to get those from my Home Town, so that at the same time I can have my bike ready for the mammoth trip. I found a shop with the help of my local mechanic and I got the above accessories. But the flashers were not available, I said ok, I can manage without them.

IMG_20160813_061808082.jpg IMG_20160813_061754264.jpg

When I returned to office, I got a bouncer from my friend that ‘Bai chutti da aukha’ (Its tough to get leaves). I said give a try, if you can join even though I have to go alone. He replied ‘he can only confirm 2 weeks before the date we decided to move’. I can understand through his voice how he was feeling and dealing with that situation because he was in same set of mind as I was in. It was a trip he has also dreamed about.

I was shattered; I was down by just thinking, what if he refuses to accompany me on trip. It was almost a nail biting moments for me. With my fingers crossed and hopping for the best, I decided to move forward with my plans.

To Be Continued .......

4. umeshparikh

umeshparikh Active Member

Dear Nitin,

Wonderful start...
    Waiting for more...

Regards,

Umesh

Nitin Singla likes this.
  5. bali amit

bali amit Well-Known Member

qaint aa.................

Nitin Singla likes this.
  6. Rupeshkhosla

Rupeshkhosla Member

Bai Siraaa... start... can't wait.. thoda jaldi jaldi...

Nitin Singla likes this.
  7. Nitin Singla

Thanks Umesh!

8. Nitin Singla

Thank You Bai ... Koshish kar reha jaldi jaldi karan di . But office ch nikal jande ne 5 din. Will try to do it quick.

9. Nitin Singla

Till the time I was waiting for confirmation/rejection from my friend, I again went to my best companion ‘Web’ to gather more information. I started to read different travelogues and at that time I decided, I will also create a travelogue stating my highs and lows, yeses and nos for this trip.

It was 29th July and I was still waiting for confirmation from my friend at around 8PM my phone ranged, I checked it. It was my friend and I was praying it should be a yes. I picked the call and he said ‘Leh carrier kitho lavauna’ (From where to get the Leh Carrier). And I was overjoyed and finally we’re on actual track of this trip.

On next day 30th July we went to karol bagh market to buy gears. While searching we went to a shop ‘jazzmyride’. We just thought to give a try as this was very new shop in the area.

I can tell when I entered the shop, it was paradise for bikers. I was amassed by the goods they had on their shop being it a very new venture. Mr Abhishek was the guy, who helped us a lot in selecting the gear we needed.

Initially I had Rynox in my mind, but they suggested to buy check Brand ‘Scoyco’ also. I felt it very comfortable usefull armoured, waterproof jacket, and then and only we decided to buy this jacket eventhough it was out of our budget.

Jacket JK 42.jpg

Overall on this day, we bought following from market:
    1. Knee Guards – Scoyco K11 – From Chopra Auto, Karolbagh, Delhi
    2. Gloves – We purchased two gloves one normal and one warm.
    a. Pro Gloves – Chopra Auto
    b. Ignyte Waterproof Gloves – jazzmyride
    3. Balaclava – jazzmyride
    4. Helmet New Visor – Chopra Auto
    5. Bungee Cords-6 – Chopra Auto

Next weekend we went home for final touchup of bikes and I bought following spare part that I will carry for the trip.

Spare Parts Carried – Two Spark Plugs, Two Clutch Wires, Chain Lock, Tyre Tube, Air Pump

IMG_20160812_223316005.jpg

Shooting Partners – Nikon D3100 (55-200 MM), Nikon L330 and Moto G3

IMG_20160812_223715465.jpg

Medicines Backup – Diamox, Nilpar, Montreal LC, Nicip MD, Vomikind, First Aid kit

So it was a last weekend before we started our journey and I wanted to make sure that I have everything for the trip.

It was 12th august I started to pack everything and arranging them on my bike. Here’s a pic:

IMG_20160813_085442352_HDR.jpg

Journey is going to Start .........

To Be Continued ...........

10. Nitin Singla

DAY 1 – 13th August – Saturday – Mandi Gobindgarh (Punjab) – Manali – 340 Kms – 8 Hrs Drive Time
    Route –
    Mandi Gobindgarh – Ropar – Kiratpur Sahib – Bilaspur – Mandi – Kullu – Manali

In morning 7 we woke up and started with the final check of the luggage and the packing on bike. Had breakfast and started the trip at 9 AM in the Morning.

Ready to ride -
    1.1.2 Set.jpg

Some Pics on the way to Manali-
    1.3.1 Mandi - Kullu.jpg 1.3.3 Mandi Kullu.jpg
    1.3.4 Mandi Kullu.jpg

When we started for the day we decided not to take a major halt as the permit we had for next day only and we wanted to had some time for rest as it was going to be a big day. We only stopped just 7 kms before Manali , it was a beautiful spot and we couldn’t resist for a stopover. It was at the Beas River bank and had food there (That my mom packed for us).

What best we can have surrounded by Green Mountains, Evening Sun set time, Sitting across River bank and having Homemade food. The sound from the river was so mesmerising that we didn’t notice the time. It felt like water is saying something; I don’t want to go from there. It was already late and getting dark so we decided to move to manali and search our accommodation.

Its time to enjoy the Home made food and Serene Beauty-
    1.4.2 Manali.jpg

We reached Manali at 6:00 PM and settled in our hotel – Shingar (Backside Mall Road). After fresh up we went for a stroll. We went to club house first, it was already dark but we had few minute break at the river bank finding it a little risky as it was already dark, we decided to come back to mall road.

we went to Mall road and got Jasdeep’s Bike tested as we felt sometimes its making different noise. It was all ok just got verified.

After that we went to club house, but it was all dark there. Then we saw a badminton court in Club House Manali and lots of children were playing over there. It hit both of us as we are crazy badminton lovers. When we checked with the manager there, he told that this is the last slot running and it will be closed after that. So bad luck here. We told him that in morning we’ll be leaving for leh if he can extend the timings for half an hour, So he suggested us that on our midway at keylong there is a championship and New court over there, you can go and play there. So we planned to checkout at keylong if we can play there next day. With a hope we came back and started roaming on Mall Road, it started raining and we took shelter in One Travel Agent’s shop. When it stopped raining we got to our hotel.

Badminton Court -
    1.5.1 Club House.jpg
    Its raining at Mall road -
    1.6.2 Mall Road.jpg

To Be Continued ......