Air Conditioner...need advice..

one tested advice, Godrej or Samsung will fail at 45 deg of heat in delhi summers.

You will never regret investing Hitachi or Carrier and they have very good service network.

After all this research I bought Hitachi 1.5 Ton Atom Split for 35K 2 years back, and been very happy with the cooling and features.
I would like to propose 'o' General..real performer. Very efficient in the months when temp and humidity soars to unbearable levels.
My recommendation General or Hitachi. Though they are slightly costly, you get what you pay for.
let me check with my office vendor and will revert back with the suggestions:)
We are using 1Samsung (Split-AC), 1Hitachi and 2Voltas airconditioners in our home for past 6 years or so.
Samsung went bust in 1st year itself. But the A.S.S. is amazing! Unit replaced with a new unit, without any questions! Next year the compressed went for a stroll to their workshop, and they sent the refurbished unit very next day. And till date no other major issue with that unit.
My Opinion is: Don't go for Samsung for Delhi summers! :)

Voltas is good... no issues till date. Cooling is fine, but nothing to boast about.
Hitachi is the unit, I am happy to own! No problems till date, and chill factor comes very early! Fantastic cooling even during peak humid summers of Delhi.
Go for Hitachi.

We had O-General window-AC in my earlier office, and I still remember the way it use to cool the area in no time! They ARE among the costliest lot, but almost at par with Carrier (another good contender). But if choosing between Carrier and O-General, I'd suggest to go for O-General.

So, from my end, it should be either a Hitachi or O-General. :)
Hope it helps.
O'General is best in quick cooling and air blast is awesome, consume little more elctricity than Hitachi.

Hitachi is silent and equally good (only twin motor one)....I didn't even give a thought to try other brands.

PS: I'm having both, one at Chndigarh (hitachi) and another at Delhi (o'general).
Hehe, penthouse suite!
If the concerned room has sunshine incident on its roof through most of the day please get some insulation done or consider a false ceiling.
The expense for this will get recovered in less than one or two summers.
The heat load is very very high with penthouse suites!
The electricity bills in such suites are known to have deranged people! :grin:
Doc sahab have both Hitachi and General in the same bedroom. Hitachi Window is kept as a spare unit for peak summers whereas General Split does the routine job. Both are 2 tonners. I havnt had a good experience with Hitachi so shall advice General.

Ditto. Been there done that and finally got the false ceiling done. One time hassle but worth it.
Last June in Delhi was very hot, particularly from 24th June to about 30th June.
Most ACs failed to do any cooling at all! :shock:

My experience:
2 ton LG split (5 years old) failed to cool.
1½ ton LG window unit (5 years old) did a poor job but did not totally fail to cool.
1½ ton National window unit (8 years old) worked well.
1½ ton Hitachi window unit (7 years old) worked well.
Wrong conception. Plain false ceiling (POP one which makes it air tight and not the one which is used in offices and is useless) has a drop of only 3 - 4". Designs and archs have abt 6" - 8" drop. My roof height is 9'5" and even someone with 8'5" can easily get it done.

Tanveer you sure everything all right. Though havnt used it myself but havnt heard anything bad abt Samsung from anyone. Samsung and LG represent the entry level budget class and are most sold. I have 4 LGs at home and havnt faced any problem till now. On the contrary I have faced problems with the most expensive of the lot, Hitachi.

Maybe you were sold a lemon but even then gas leakage every year is strange.
hey doc....we had a voltas ac in our room....it was pathetic. very poor cooling. then we bought a o'general ac and its the best. u just cannot go wrong with an o'general. it gets real hot here and general ac chills the room in no time. go for it.
Thank you Anup Sir for such a comprehensive explanation.
+1

Sorry for the delayed response...
Thanks everyone for the comprehensive analysis....
Think I'll go with Hitachi or O General.....though I'm more inclined towards Hitachi...one of the first transistors I had was a hitachi :D

Would like to know from Anup and Amit Maggo about the false ceiling....is POP the only way out or are there other materials. And what kind of costs are we looking at.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Would like to know from Anup and Amit Maggo about the false ceiling....is POP the only way out or are there other materials. And what kind of costs are we looking at.
Although it has been asked only to Anup and Amit, but still, as a forum mate I am barging in. Please pardon me for this lunging move.

Did you read my earlier post as quoted below:
false roofing is one good solution for reducing the impact of direct sunlight. but it needs about a good 1.5-2.0 feet of your room height!

if your roof height is anything less than 11 feet, dont even think of going for false roofing, as it'll kill the aesthetical aspects of a spacious room.

Although it has been asked only to Anup and Amit, but still, as a forum mate I am barging in. Please pardon me for this lunging move.

Did you read my earlier post as quoted below:
Hey, bash on regardless...:D

I feel a false ceiling doesnt necessarily have to be 1.5- 2 ft below the roof...a few inches should be fine.
As long as we create an air space in between which acts as a bad conductor....and thus helps in the cooling process.
In places like the Gulf the bricks have a small air space within for the same reason...ofcourse those are for the walls.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
In places like the Gulf the bricks have a small air space within for the same reason...ofcourse those are for the walls.
And those are available here too!

The cheapest option for a ceiling is to get thick polystyrene (thermocol) sheets and have them 'glued' to the roof. This is very cheap and works well. Does not require any frame lattice.

Else Gypsum boards and full framing. You wouldn't want to spend money for this if you don't own the apartment.

The solution to this problem can also be tackled from the outside by putting up some sort of awning on the roof to block direct sunshine incident on that area.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Hey, bash on regardless...:D

I feel a false ceiling doesnt necessarily have to be 1.5- 2 ft below the roof...a few inches should be fine.
As long as we create an air space in between which acts as a bad conductor....and thus helps in the cooling process.
Recently one of my relative had opted for 'designer' false roofing/ceiling in all his top-floor rooms. And, they got it done at about 1.5 ft below roof with some stuffing in form of fire-retardant thermocole type sheets and some more things on those lines.
I guess if one had to fit/hang some lights, etc. from roof, they need to leave a space of about 1.5ft in between original roof and the false one.

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
A few random shots of my room's roof. Excuse me for the quality as I just took them from my mobile cam.

The whole roof is made of POP (the centre portions, archs etc.) and its air tight. Centre portion has a drop of only 3 - 4" whereas side would have probably 9 - 10". The cost I would say for my room size (23 X 10) would be around 25K.

Also this is a very old design and much better looking shapes and designs are done by designers these days.

25032010184.jpg

25032010185.jpg

25032010186.jpg

25032010187.jpg

25032010188.jpg

beingbaggu

Planning to get a 1 Tonne Window A.C. - O General and Hitachi out of budget.

I have done some initial research and the Carrier - Estrella range looks interesting.

Requesting for suggestions.

By the way, does the BEE Star Rating really matter? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Last edited: