Air Purifiers, Are they any good ?

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
Hi everyone, I always wonder how good these Air Purifiers are ?

Looking at the Smog which has engulfed the city, most of the people are developing throat/lung infections. With festival season approaching the problem is bound to aggravate further. Agreed that can't prevent when you are out, but atleast you may feel safe when you are inside your home (specially at night).

Please share your views about the same including brands, price, capacity, utility, features etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ramit Chopra

Saadda Haq...Aithhe Rakh!
^

Air Purifiers are meant to clean the stale air with in a closed environment.

A good Air Purifier uses a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.To meet the criteria of a HEPA air cleaner, the filter must remove airborne particulate as small as 0.3 microns from the air that passes through the filter. There are two types of HEPA filters: 99% and 99.97%.

Also, An Air purifier uses a process called Ionization which releases negative ions into the air which join with positively charged particles such as smoke, dust or pollen to form larger particles that are more readily captured by the HEPA filter

Here are few players in the Indian market

1. Euroair O2 (eureka forbes) - Price around 7k
2. Kent Ozone air purifier -TY 500 - Price around 6k
3. Bionaire BAP1550B - Price around 7k
4. Sharp has various models ranging from 15k to 25k depending upon the size of the room

Out of the above options, Sharp and Bionaire have the Anti Allergen property (sharp has been certified to be kill Allergens by The British Allergy Foundation)
Only other Air Purifier to have that certification is Amway 'Atmosphere' but that has not yet been launched in India

Hope the above information helps ...

Cheers

Ramit

PS: Source: Internal Research for my company which I did last month :)

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
Thanks Ramit for the info. :)

Does it make sense in our scenario ? Is it actually as effective as it looks on paper ?

Does it has any capacity or limitation, Just like we have in ACs ?

Which brand/Model do you recommend ?

What are servicing/spares costs ?

Ramit Chopra

Saadda Haq...Aithhe Rakh!
Thanks Ramit for the info. :)

Does it make sense in our scenario ? Is it actually as effective as it looks on paper ?

Well, yes it does makes sense since we are always surrounded by dust and air pollution. It certainly is effective..All these machines comes from reputed houses and go through stringent quality controls. I read a story on internet while doing the research about a malaria patient installing it in home after the Doctor recommended him to but that was in U.S. In India, the story is little different as Doctors do not wish to promote Preventive care

There are different models available for every capacity...generally the prices I mentioned are for the models that take care 175 - 250 sq feet area which is a regular bedroom size

Sharp if affordability is not an issue (there is one show room in GIP Noida) otherwise Bionaire

I dont have much information on that but Bionaire comes with permanent filters which means , you may never have to replace them apart from regular servicing

Cheers

Ramit

Admin01

Administrator
Choice of Air Purifier depends on the size of the room as well as features you want. I am using this basic model from Philips, http://amzn.to/2AoQfmi. It is decent for a normal sized room and works well. The thing I like most about it is the fact that it and its filters are easily available and it has a prefilter that can be cleaned by the user (I clean it every week.)

Another good option is Mi Air Purifier, http://amzn.to/2ApNeT1 it has more features and even an app that lets you control it and see real time pollution levels.

Admin01

Administrator
As for whether or not they actually work, well it depends on the scenario they are used in. Essentially they are meant to be used in a closed environment, just like an AC, so that they can clean the air and take out most of the pollutants.

If the doors and windows are open, polluted air will get in and while they will make a difference, they won’t be able to make a large impact on the air quality.

Stay away from products which are Ozone based etc. and just go for good ole HEPA based air purifiers, as they actually work by filtering out PM2.5 pollutants.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Choice of Air Purifier depends on the size of the room as well as features you want. I am using this basic model from Philips, http://amzn.to/2AoQfmi. It is decent for a normal sized room and works well. The thing I like most about it is the fact that it and its filters are easily available and it has a prefilter that can be cleaned by the user (I clean it every week.)

Another good option is Mi Air Purifier, http://amzn.to/2ApNeT1 it has more features and even an app that lets you control it and see real time pollution levels.
Wonderful. I will try to pick one of these.

Yes I want HEPA only. Manually removable PreFilter is a must. Room is closed and small room.

Don't want features. Just want effective cleaning.filters should be available easily and not too expensive to replace.
Thanks YS.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk