Air Purifiers, Are they any good ?

tintin63

Guru
On average, 19-20 hours a day. Mi filter costs around 2.6k and Philip's HEPA filter costs 2.4k while the carbon one fluctuates between 1.3-2k.
Looks like a tie. Though Phillips might last slightly longer, they also cost 1.5k to 2k extra. And I just went through the comparison on your website - performance wise looks like MI is doing a great job. I'll check again with you in early December when I'm about to place the order!

jeetcp

Mediocre me
OK. I bought the cheapest of they product. It is essentially a HEPA filter+Prefilter strapped to a Fan. Also bought extra filters for future use.

Used it for 4 days, can see color of HEPA going bit darker. Do not feel much difference in Air, mainly because I do not have carbon filter for good smell.

https://smartairfilters.com/in/en/product/cannon-air-purifier-one-year/

Would you recommend these guys.
The replacement filters looks cost effective and easy buy in Delhi. Lado Sarai to be precise.

Smart air filters.com

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Looks like a tie. Though Phillips might last slightly longer, they also cost 1.5k to 2k extra. And I just went through the comparison on your website - performance wise looks like MI is doing a great job. I'll check again with you in early December when I'm about to place the order!
You don’t have to change nano carbon filter if you don’t want to and it should last longer, I haven’t changed mine yet. Just the HEPA filter has been changed for now.

OK. I bought the cheapest of they product. It is essentially a HEPA filter+Prefilter strapped to a Fan. Also bought extra filters for future use.

Used it for 4 days, can see color of HEPA going bit darker. Do not feel much difference in Air, mainly because I do not have carbon filter for good smell.
Air has been clean for the past few days, comparatively speaking of course. You should notice a different when the air pollution is above 300 in your area; you just have to go to different room to feel the difference in air quality. Clean air will feel lighter.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
It’s been 10 days since I bought MI Air Purifier (link to it on Amazon http://amzn.to/2AWbawA) and today I decided to clean the pre filter with vacuum cleaner. Even though past few days have been better pollution wise, yet, this is the state of the filter (left before and right after). In 10 days, it has consumed 11% of the filter and it will supposedly last another 129 days. Even after using the vacuum, the filter is nowhere as clean as it was first delivered, so it is anybody’s guess, how much muck it has filtered.

vlcsnap-2017-11-20-19h56m26s319.jpg

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@Yogesh Sarkar :
Is the right side photo *before cleaning with vaccum cleaner*, or *after the cleaning* ??
Show us the other pic as well, if yo have?

Does it tell somehow about how much PM2.5 has been filtered? On equipment or on some app?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
That is before cleaning with vacuum, after that it was much better, but still not as good as it a week ago. Don't have photo of that.

It doesn't show how much PM 2.5 it has cleaned, it just shows the amount of air it has cleaned and current PM 2.5 estimates. These two screenshots from the app will give you an idea.

Screenshot_20171121-093807.png

Screenshot_20171121-093802.png

Apart from showing an LED for WiFi status, mode it is in and level of clean air (red, orange, yellow and green) it doesn't have any info on the device.

tintin63

Guru
It’s been 10 days since I bought MI Air Purifier (link to it on Amazon http://amzn.to/2AWbawA) and today I decided to clean the pre filter with vacuum cleaner. Even though past few days have been better pollution wise, yet, this is the state of the filter (left before and right after). In 10 days, it has consumed 11% of the filter and it will supposedly last another 129 days. Even after using the vacuum, the filter is nowhere as clean as it was first delivered, so it is anybody’s guess, how much muck it has filtered.

View attachment 734156
As far as cleaning the filter is concerned, Phillip's removable and washable filter seems to have an upper hand. All in all seems like a close call between both the purifiers.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Yes. The major issue is, Philips doesn't mentions PM2.5 levels for the various colours it's purifier displays. Mi shows green i.e. clean air around 80, which is far from clean as per WHO standards.

tintin63

Guru
Just wondering how much of this could be a psychological thing. Because MI shows more details, may be we start feeling it is better in performance too. Or can you actually feel the difference when you go from MI room to Phillips room or vice versa? It could be a minor change but may be you can feel it? Or not so obvious?