All about lush green meadows, ocean, hills. Time well spent in New Zealand- Northern Island

raman mittal

Raman Mittal
Day 3- Roaming around Tauranga City - Mount Maunganui , Greerton, Gate pa

As I said earlier in the my log, Tauranga City lies in Bay of Plenty region of New Zealand's North Island. Tauranga is not big and crowded as other New Zealand Cities like Auckland and Wellington. But its a short city comprises of number of small towns and villages. The good part is you have all facilities available in each town and village of these cities in New Zealand.

Today is our 3rd day in New Zealand and my brother has office today. So we planned to stay at home and roam around Tauranga City. Therefore me and wifey planned that we will wake up early to see the sunrise at Mount Maunganui beach and will roam around the beach and Mount Maunganui town and may trek on Mount Maunganui.

But as said, plans are meant to be broken. So did we have not followed our plan and woke up late today. Hence the sun has already risen and have brighten up the region. But we have not changed our plan but tweaked it a bit (I will tell in later). So, we woke up, freshened ourselves and started towards Mount Maunganui from Tauranga. Though we have missed the Sunrise today, but it was not that late. We are still able to feel the morning breeze on the beach to soak fresh air into our lungs. Few people are still there on beach and jogging, we can see some people are trekking up on Mount Maunganui. But we decided to skip the trek to Mount Maunganui but rather went to a small hill cock (Mt Moturiki) on other side of beach and started our trekking towards it. We spent good 1-1.5 hrs on the beach and returned to home.

Please enjoy few pics from today Morning:
IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

This is Mount Moturiki that we trekked.
IMG_0497.JPG

This is Mount Maunganui:
IMG_0517.JPG

at the bottom of Mount Moturiki:
IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

Natural Lookout area made by bushes:
IMG_0542.JPG

After a walk of 15 mins :), we reached on the hill top and offered with lovely views

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

Mount Maunganui as seen from Mount Moturiki
IMG_0559.JPG

After spending good 30 mins, we came down and here are few last pics from today morning.
IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Sea facing Villas and hotels at Mount Maunganui
IMG_0579.JPG

We reached home in 15 mins, due to morning office traffic, as Mount Maunganui is the major commercial hub in Tauranga City.

In noon, we went to Greerton, which is again another suburb of Tauranga City and my brother has his furniture store in Greerton. Hence we went there and spent 3-4 hours at store and I went for a photography walk with my son.
IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

My brother's furniture store.

IMG_0596.JPG

Around Greerton market.
IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

This photo was clicked by my little Photographer. Our son Akshaj.
IMG_0628.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

raman mittal

Raman Mittal
Day 4 - Hobitton Movie Set

The Hobbiton Movie Set was a significant location used for The Lord of the Rings film trilogy and The Hobbit film series. It is situated on a family run farm about 58 kilometres from Tauranga and 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) southwest of Matamata, in Waikato, New Zealand, and is now a Tolkien tourism destination, offering a guided tour of the set.

Hobbiton set was created on 1250 acres land, which is actually a sheep farm. Hence a lot of sheeps can be seen in and around the movie set.

The Hobbiton Movie Set has entry tickets including the guided tour and transfers, which cost $84 per person for adults and kids below 8 years are free. This includes one Hobbiton bear at Hobbiton Brewery at the Movie set itself. We visited Hobbiton from Matamata site, where they have an I-site for visitors to accumulate prior to starting the guided tour.

We reached an hour early from our tour and hence we clicked some photos around the I-site. I-site is located at nice location, which offers a lot of scenic views around the site.

Enjoy few photos of I-site and near by views.
IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

Please have a look at herd of sheeps in background of the following few pics:

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG

The restaurant at I-Site:
IMG_0231.JPG

The tourists were taken to Movie set from I-site in buses.
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG

They brewery,where they serve hobbiton beer to everyone.

IMG_0258.JPG

We started our tour with Peter, he was originally from UK but as he is an amid Hobbiton fan he found a job to work as a guide at this farm.

IMG_0261.JPG

Here starts the Hobbiton journey with first hobbiton house.
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

The tree in below pic is an artificial tree made of steel and fiber. All leaves are frequently painted to give these a fresh look..
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG

Hobbiton Mill.
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG

Hobbiton village view from the lake side:
IMG_0460.JPG

The journey from Tauranga till Hobbiton is very scenic, but we did not stopped while coming to movie set as we were afraid of being late. So decided to stop for photo breaks during our return journey. Below few pics are when we were returning from Hobbiton.
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG

Next part will be coming soon...Keep watching...

Attachments

raman mittal

Raman Mittal
Day 6- Cathedral Cove and Hot Water Beach

It was 22nd June, our 6th day in New Zealand. My brother took a leave from work and planned to take us to The Coromandel area, which is famous for its Hot Water Beach, Marine Life, Scenic Beauty and Cathedral Cove. Best time to explore these places are during Summer and Autumn. But we went there in June, which is winter season in New Zealand and hence there were only few visitors there.

The Cathedral Cove Walkway is approx. 2.5km and takes you down to the sandy beach and famous rock arch of Cathedral Cove. The track is well graded with some hill slopes and approx. 150 steps down to the beach. Walking time depends on fitness and ranges from 25-45 minutes.

We started early today to because we have a lot to travel and have to visit two prominent places in The Coromandel Area, which are :

- Cathedral Cove
- Hot Water Beach

The drive from my brother's house to Cathedral Cove Parking is ~ 150 KMs, which gonna take 2-3 hours considering we have kids with us. When we started the weather was good, with clouds around made the journey more pleasurable and scenic. Here are few shots of the journey:
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG

Roads to Heaven

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG

To Be Continued.....

Attachments

raman mittal

Raman Mittal
Cathedral Cove
We reached the Cathedral Parking lot after a 3 hours of drive. The views of the surroundings are breath taking. My camera eye may not be doing the justice to the pristine scenery of the place. Please enjoy it from photos below:

IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG