All you want to know about "Raid De Himalaya"

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Re: Debut Raid De Himalaya - a photologue

Though this was my first Raid De Himalaya rally (2010) (in Adventure category) I had participated earlier in a few autox events.

Now, after a few rallies I participate in Extreme category with my rally prepped Maruti Gypsy.

To start with, both Raid De Himalaya and Desert Storm are cross country rallies and differ in their format from INRC (Indian National Rally Championship) rallies. INRC rallies are spread over 3 days while Raid and DS are week long rallies.

There are two categories inboth these events (Extreme and Adventure/Endure).

Sub-categories are there within each categories, based on the vehicle used. Extreme cars are 99% of the times 4x4 cars (Gypsies and Vitaras).

Extreme Category: No holds barred category. One drives as fast as one can during the competitive stages (competitive stages are the stages/routes where you're being timed).

Adventure/Xplore/Ndure Category: based on the TSD format. Comeptitiors are given various speed imits to adhere to at different sections of the route. If you reach late than estimated (as per the suugested speed limits) you're penalised and if one reaches early as per their estimate you're doubly penalised.

Basic requirements:

Vehicle: Any 4 wheeler can participate in these rallies but extreme category is only open for 4x4s. So even a Maruti 800 can compete in adventure or explore category and I have seen Maruti 800 complete Raid. For that matter, in 2010 there was a Tata Nano (driven by Mr. Sanjay Madan) that participated in Adventure category

Competition License: One needs to get rallying driver for himself and one license for the navigator for participating in any rally in India. The application forms are available at www.fmsci.in

Costs involved: Participation costs can vary from Rs40,000-Rs1,00,000 depending on how early you register for the rally. This costs just includes your accomodation and food during the rally. Fuel and vehicle damages are to one's own. In extreme category one needs a back up service team and that can set you back by another 30-50k excluding the cost of spares.

Physical Requirements: Just be a nuthead ;) :p and you're good to go.

Equipment Requirement: In extreme category a GPS (GarminCSX 760) or a Tripy is the minimum requirement. In Adventure/Explore/Ndure category, though many people use Garmins and Terratrips, one can complete without these as well.

Event Time/Duration: Raid happens every october while DS takes place evry February. 3-4 months prior to the event the registrations are opened and one needs to pay the fees, fill up the form and get going. Some basic documents are required as well and can be checked from their respective sites.

Experience during and after the Rally: For me, its an addiction now. Just can't wait to get into the driver's seat and put pedal to the metal :)
Each and every rally teaches you a lot of stuff; everytime you learn something new.

Caution: Motrsports can cause serious accidents/death and one signs the indemnity bond before rgistering for rallies. I myself crashed big time in one of the stages in DS last year but thankfully came out unscathed. Rolling of cars and toppling is a very common thing especially in Extreme category in DS/Raid. Raid sees damage of other kinds where drivers manage to bang their cars from the side onto the rocky sidelines and deadly dips on the route.

I have tried to cover much of the aspects for a newbie. Would be happy to share my detailed experience and clarify any further queries.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

hiambuj

Staff member

Very informative Kashish.
What is with this time limit in adventure category? Early fine & late fine? Please explain more.

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!

So speed limits on section sof the route/leg would look like this

just an example:

DISTANCE (Km) SPEED (Kmph)
From 0.00kms ‐ 19.20kms mantain speed of 20.10 kmph
From 19.20kms‐ 21.20kms maintain speed of 04.00 kmph
From 21.20kms‐ 28.00kms maintain speed of 52.80 kmph

Once you're checked out from the starting grid/TC (Time Control) your navigator has to make sure that you're adhering to the speed limits on respective sections. Now during the whole route/Leg, there will be various Time Controls (TCs) TCs are basically official cars where you have to give your time chip and get yourself chipped in. Your arrival and out time will be recorded at that particular TC. The location of these TCs are unknown so its not possible that you make up for time on a particular section after losing/gaining time on a previous section. The Leige timer at the TC at a particular distance will know what would be the exact/ideal time that you were supposed to check in at after you started the leg and adhered to the speed limits. So if you arrive one second late, you get one penalty and if you arrive one second early you get two seconds penalty. At the end of the rally the team having the least penalty wins the Xplore/Ndure/Adventure category.

PS: It's not possible to make up for losttime/penalty on previous stages/legs/days. Its a cumulative number and every stage penalty keeps on adding to your previous penalty.

From the Official DS Xplore/Ndure/Adventure Supplementary regulations book

"Penalty points would be awarded comparing the actual time taken by the competitor in completing the section with ideal time based on speed and distance. The difference between the target check in time and the actual check in time will be penalized as follows

• The penalty for late arrival will be 1 unit time per 1 unit time late.

• The penalty for early arrival will be 2 unit time per 1 unit time early.

The location of these controls except the start will be undisclosed and will not be indicated on the Road Book. These may be at any point(s) on the itinerary at the sole discretion of the organisers.

Hope this explains :)

Happy to clarify more

hiambuj

Staff member

Yes, this explains very much, thanks.
But is it so harsh that one penalty per second? :shock:
& this means one cannot stop to click pics :p

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!

Yes, this explains very much, thanks.
But is it so harsh that one penalty per second? :shock:
& this means one cannot stop to click pics :p
Yeah its harsh but then main motif of such rallies is motorsport and not enjoy scenic beauty :D

But most of the first timers and people who come to enjoy the scenic beauty do chill and take many pics (like in this case of mine last year). People who do Adventure/Ndure/Xplore categories seriously are from Teams like Team Full Throttle (Tata Motors), Team Mahindra and team Maruti Suzuki.

Most of the priavteers who do Adventure actegory in Gypsies are there to experience/practice so they graduate to Extreme in the coming years. I was clocking speeds of 100-120kmph when the speed limit was 30-50 and as a consequence on all stages/legs I was running huge penalties (2-3 hours) :D

But then the thrill of driving 100-120kmph on gravel stages (read Rangdum-Padum. Parakchik-Rangdum stage) is just incredible.

Plan to travel to Leh/Zanskar few times this year to get used to those high speeds in that terrain:) :twisted:

Cheers

hiambuj

Staff member

hmm, that explains.
& heck, whats harm if we get some hours of penalty, as long as its not related monetarily. :p

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!

There is no monetary harm but with every passing day one starts at his/her rank (and its obviously related to the penalty accumulated). So, if your rank is lets say in the last five, you'll be starting at the fag end and with that you risk running quite late into the evening/night and not many newbies are used to running in the dark in that terrain with spinechilling winds and cold to make things worse.

On Day 5 of RDH 2011. I started my Leg 2 at 5:40pm from Padum and had to get to Rangdum (distance of about 100kms) for the overnight halt. It was in no way easy to drive and I drove as fast as I could till the twilight supported me so that I could cover good distance and also because I have run extreme rallies in the past and do have some experience of that terrain. But, there were cars behind me and when they reached Rangdum Camp it was already 10 in the night. Hell for me was when I almost went the wrong direction on turns just to realise in time that there was no road in that direction.

So its kinda double edged sword to run huge penalties and also I did complain to the organisers for running stages so lat einto the evening and that too in that terrain. The obvious reply was "its RAID DE HIMALAYA" and not a walk in the park :twisted:

bharath316

Always had this doubt how this penalty system worked. Thanks for the detailed explanation. All the best for ur next Raid.