All you want to know about "Raid De Himalaya"

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Kashish, i am planning to participate in Raide this year in Adventure category. Give me some tips.
I hope to see you in the Raide.
Hi Afzal,

Just saw your post on this thread. Somehow missed it but glad now that I found it. I will be there in the Xtreme category this year as well...with my White Renegade (Gypsy).

Do you have any specific questions in mind? You can PM me or post 'em here. I will try and respond to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers

kprixie

very detailed info. what about dates and duration of the Rally? how easy is it to get the license for rallying? how much time it takes to get this license? how much damage to the vehicle does one look at ...at the end of the rally? any women in it?

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
very detailed info. what about dates and duration of the Rally? how easy is it to get the license for rallying? how much time it takes to get this license? how much damage to the vehicle does one look at ...at the end of the rally? any women in it?
Dates for Raid De Himalaya - generally first half of October every year. This year its 4th - 12th October.
It takes filling up of few forms and paying the license fee to get the license from FMSCI, Chennai. Will take you close to 7-10 working days to get the license

Damage to the vehicle - not all vehicles damage the same way so can't really put an answer to that.
Women in Rallying - aplenty in Adventure category and couple of 'em in Xtreme category as well

Cheers

kprixie

does one need prior experience of rallying? i have never seen a rally let alone participate....but am a damn good driver? do we get to choose our partner?

thanks so much for your patience.:)

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
does one need prior experience of rallying? i have never seen a rally let alone participate....but am a damn good driver? do we get to choose our partner?

thanks so much for your patience.:)
To participate in Xtreme category - Yes, one needs prior experience in rallying. One can start with participation in Adventure category and one can enroll to just see if he/she is a good driver with endurance! :) Yes, you only have to pick your partner; the rally organizers don't do that for you :)

Here are a couple of videos from Raid de Himalaya to give you an idea about both Xtreme category and Adventure category

Xtreme FUN :)

Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya 2010 Leg 4 - YouTube

Adventure :)

Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya 2010.mpg - YouTube

One needs special rally prepared cars for Xtreme category participation while Adventure trial cars can be normal street/road cars.

Cheers

Thanks Kashish. I have got myself enrolled for the Raid in Adventure trial category. I have received the license also from fmsci chennai. Nothing specific, I wanted to know how much is the avg. speed prescribed in adv. trial category on mountains and dirt tracks ? I don't want to rush in the rally. my soul purpose is to participate and complete it within the time limits without being excluded. What do you have to say on this ?
Hi Afzal,

Just saw your post on this thread. Somehow missed it but glad now that I found it. I will be there in the Xtreme category this year as well...with my White Renegade (Gypsy).

Do you have any specific questions in mind? You can PM me or post 'em here. I will try and respond to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Thanks Kashish. I have got myself enrolled for the Raid in Adventure trial category. I have received the license also from fmsci chennai. Nothing specific, I wanted to know how much is the avg. speed prescribed in adv. trial category on mountains and dirt tracks ? I don't want to rush in the rally. my soul purpose is to participate and complete it within the time limits without being excluded. What do you have to say on this ?
Afzal,

The average speeds change every year but you wouldn't be expected to drive at more than 50-60kph at any point in time. They would give you speeds of 10-20kph on good tarmac roads while on boulder stricken roads they would ask you to do speeds of 40-50kph. they basically test your patience....

Exclusion - just ask your navigator to be ready with the Maximum Permissible Lateness (MPL) calculation and you should be fine....Also don't miss 3 TCs (Time Controls) in a single leg (single day) or else you're going home early.

Btw, who is navigating you?

Just enjoy the rally and views on offer...Completion would happen on its own

Cheers

Thanks a lot Kashish. Will try to follow your advise and will make sure not to get eliminated prematurely.:D
I am being Navigated by one of my friend from Indore only. He is basically a biker and had been to Ladakh on bike from last 3 consecutive years. Although for rally he is a novice. So lets hope to complete the rally and have an experience of a life time.

Meet you in Raid.:) BTW what's the no. of Gypsy you will be driving in Raid ?

Cheers.
Afzal,

The average speeds change every year but you wouldn't be expected to drive at more than 50-60kph at any point in time. They would give you speeds of 10-20kph on good tarmac roads while on boulder stricken roads they would ask you to do speeds of 40-50kph. they basically test your patience....

Exclusion - just ask your navigator to be ready with the Maximum Permissible Lateness (MPL) calculation and you should be fine....Also don't miss 3 TCs (Time Controls) in a single leg (single day) or else you're going home early.

Btw, who is navigating you?

Just enjoy the rally and views on offer...Completion would happen on its own

Cheers