All you want to know about "Raid De Himalaya"

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Thanks a lot Kashish. Will try to follow your advise and will make sure not to get eliminated prematurely.:D
I am being Navigated by one of my friend from Indore only. He is basically a biker and had been to Ladakh on bike from last 3 consecutive years. Although for rally he is a novice. So lets hope to complete the rally and have an experience of a life time.

Meet you in Raid.:) BTW what's the no. of Gypsy you will be driving in Raid ?

Cheers.
Cool Afzal..just be sure of the MPL and TCs - rest everything is cool and try and pay more attention on Day 1&2 - coz those are the days when most of the Adventure guys get weeded out.

Yepp - will catch up with you in Raid.

Gypsy - if I drive a Gypsy it'll be PB65 E 9111 (picture below). I have something else in mind...working on it - lets see how that project shapes up :)

Leg 1 in action.jpg

dr. afzal bunglowala

Thanks Kashish for your invaluable advise. Will surely keep my nerves cool.
Tell us more about what you are working on and do share some pics. of it.

Sharing a picture of mine.... of Vindhyachal Rally organised by ARMS motor sports in Indore in the year 2010 in which I participated and was the winner of that Rally. :D

Photo0092.jpg

Cool Afzal..just be sure of the MPL and TCs - rest everything is cool and try and pay more attention on Day 1&2 - coz those are the days when most of the Adventure guys get weeded out.

Yepp - will catch up with you in Raid.

Gypsy - if I drive a Gypsy it'll be PB65 E 9111 (picture below). I have something else in mind...working on it - lets see how that project shapes up :)

View attachment 402852

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Thanks Kashish for your invaluable advise. Will surely keep my nerves cool.
Tell us more about what you are working on and do share some pics. of it.

Sharing a picture of mine.... of Vindhyachal Rally organised by ARMS motor sports in Indore in the year 2010 in which I participated and was the winner of that Rally. :D
I'm afraid I can't reveal the details right now but if it goes through it may just shake up a few things :grin:

Good Stuff - so you do have some experience of being on the podium

Cheers

dr. afzal bunglowala

No problem Kashish. Whenever you think, you can share about it.;) Will be waiting eagerly.

Yes I do have some exp. of rallying and of being on the podium, but Raid is Raid.:rolleyes: Too excited to be a part of it.
I'm afraid I can't reveal the details right now but if it goes through it may just shake up a few things :grin:

Good Stuff - so you do have some experience of being on the podium

Cheers

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
No problem Kashish. Whenever you think, you can share about it.;) Will be waiting eagerly.

Yes I do have some exp. of rallying and of being on the podium, but Raid is Raid.:rolleyes: Too excited to be a part of it.
All I can share at this point in time is - it won't be a 4x4 :grin:

I have done all of 'em be it Mughal, Raid, Sjoba, and Desert Storm - trust me nothing I mean nothing comes close to the harshness of Raid. Its an experience of a lifetime and may turn into an addiction :grin: - live example in front of you hehe

oriole12

Nature Lover
Kashish, A friend of mine, a US citizen is planning to join the Raid this year. He has asked me to find out about communication and connectivity along the route. He feels Cell phone connectivity may not be there and that the back up teams use vhf wireless sets for communication. His questions are:
1. Can he import his CB radio on a re export basis?
2. Can he get a vhf radio operator license for one month?
3. Are vhf equipment available on hire in India?
Grateful for info.
I have asked my friend to join this Forum.

kprixie

@Dr Afzal....wow!!...you are already a Rallyist. hats off to your adventurous spirit....its rare usually and even more rare in Doctors and other professionals. Great....ps keep us updated about your Raid De.....and next year i will be there for sure....

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Kashish, A friend of mine, a US citizen is planning to join the Raid this year. He has asked me to find out about communication and connectivity along the route. He feels Cell phone connectivity may not be there and that the back up teams use vhf wireless sets for communication. His questions are:
1. Can he import his CB radio on a re export basis?
2. Can he get a vhf radio operator license for one month?
3. Are vhf equipment available on hire in India?
Grateful for info.
I have asked my friend to join this Forum.
Hi Koshy Sir,

Sorry for a delayed response (had some health issues in my family to attend).

Ans. to the query : - Except for the Rally officials and Marshals I haven't seen anybody use a radio set for communication in Raid. Cellphones (read BSNL) mostly work in those far flung areas. Regarding the questions asked by him, I'll have to check within my circle as I myself am not aware of these. But IIRC then CB radios are available for rent in India. Will get back to you with details.

Meanwhile, it'll be a good idea to connect with the Rally organizers for more details on Radio usage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nandu_hari

Please call me ..... Hari
Hey Kashish !!! Thank you for providing the valuable information.

All the best to you both Kashish and Dr.Afzal !!! Request you to post all the experiences you faced during these races. And hoping to join this rally at the earliest.