All you wanted to know about traveling to Leh – Ladakh

Gaurav Makhija

You may plan like this -
Aug 4 - Delhi to Leh and rest
Aug 5 - local sightseeing
Aug 6 - Leh to Lamayuru and back (there's nothing to see at Kargil, all the must-see points are till Lamayuru. You can cover Magnetic Hill, Gurdwara Patthar Sahib, Sind-Zanskar confluence, Alchi Monastery and Lamayuru Monastery)
Aug 7 - Leh to Nubra via Khardung La (why come back from Khardung La?)
Aug 8 - Nubra to Turtuk
Aug 9 - Turtuk to Leh
Aug 10 - Leh - Pangong
Aug 11 - Pangong - Leh (enroute visit Shey Palace, Thiksey Monastery)
Aug 12 - Buffer day
Aug 13 - back to Delhi
Thank you, Sir

That is indeed helpful!

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
Can anybody advise me the road conditions from Nubra Valley to Pangong Lake via Shyok. We plan to do this in 2nd week of September hoping that the road will be open by that time.

Also can this be done in a Wagon R. I have seen many people have done this. Still require some advisory.

Thanks !!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Can anybody advise me the road conditions from Nubra Valley to Pangong Lake via Shyok. We plan to do this in 2nd week of September hoping that the road will be open by that time.

Also can this be done in a Wagon R. I have seen many people have done this. Still require some advisory.

Thanks !!
It is temporarily closed due to landslide, it should open soon. Most of it is fine, barring a few section which require you to drive off-road.

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
It is temporarily closed due to landslide, it should open soon. Most of it is fine, barring a few section which require you to drive off-road.
Dear Yogesh,

Thanks for the revert. I am from the town of Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh. I have done the Manali to Leh Circuit way back in 1999 whth some tourists as i was into taxi business at that time. With almost 20 years of experience driving mostly in hilly terrain. I want to do thisnow for myself in My good old Wagon R. I have seen many travelers have already done the trip in their WaggyR.

I plan to come from Sri Nagar to Leh. 2 nights in Leh. Then drive to Hunder for a night stay. Next day take the shyok route to Pangong lake.

After that either i will come back to leh or take the adventurous trip to Tso Moriri. Please advise if it is safe to drive Wagon R on this route.

Thanks

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
The road these days is a lot better than what it was in 1999. So no issue at all, rest if a water crossing etc. becomes deep due to rain or snowfall, then you will have to take a decision at the spot.

If you're planning to do Leh - Tso Moriri - Manali, then after Leh, the next petrol pump would be at Tandi i.e. a difference of 550 km. So you will either have to carry spare fuel or buy it in black.

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
The road these days is a lot better than what it was in 1999. So no issue at all, rest if a water crossing etc. becomes deep due to rain or snowfall, then you will have to take a decision at the spot.

If you're planning to do Leh - Tso Moriri - Manali, then after Leh, the next petrol pump would be at Tandi i.e. a difference of 550 km. So you will either have to carry spare fuel or buy it in black.
Yogesh Ji can we do Srinagar to Leh in a one day.

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
Yes, easily.
But it would be such a waste to not enjoy the beautiful scenery enroute.
Thanks for the suggestion nadz11.ns

Do we require any kind of permits for Nubra Valley and Pangong Lake. Also we will travel from Nubra to Pangong via Agam Shyok Route.
Any permit to do Leh to Manali Route. Please advise

Thanks !!!