All you wanted to know about traveling to Leh – Ladakh

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
I couldnot get signal on my airtel postpaid most of the times once i was enroute to ktop. No signals at nubra valley or pangong either. Only mtnl postpaid roaming on cellone (bsnl) could get some signals at hunder. We were almost cut off from everyone back home for 2 days at nubra and pangong. We had informed the same to our families back home when we left leh.

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update Brother O:)

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
Just got an update that there will be no more camping at Pangong after 15th as per the recent court order......:cry:

Anybody has any information

Dear Yogesh Sir: This is my first road trip to ladakh. My first post here. Wanted some guidance and help. Read a few of your threads and blog of Treebo / Trip Advisor. Below is the itinerary i have prepared for myself Nov 1 to Nov 18 2018. Me (51), My wife (43) and two kids 7 and 6 are planning a trip from Mumbai to Leh. Both my wife and i plan to self drive. Have been on other self driven road trips before. Have been to Manali/Dharmasala before but had not driven myself. Specifically needed your guidance on Day 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. Am a little confused on those 5 days.

a) Where should i halt on those days.
b) A little confused on what permits i need and to take
c) Have I covered the key places as a first time visitor to ladakh.

Apologies for long message. Any guidance appreciated.

Section A: Driving and Halt Plan

1) Mumbai to Leh Road trip – via Srinagar while Going. Mumbai -> Jodhpur -> Amritsar -> Srinagar

Distance: 2190 kilometers

Day 1: November 1 2018 Thursday. Mumbai to Vapi. 176 Km. 3 Hour 3 Min.

7 PM to 11 PM traveling. Night halt at Vapi.

2) Day 2: November 2 2018 Friday. Vapi to Jodhpur Rajasthan. 802 Km. 13 Hour 30 Min.

7 AM to 10 PM traveling. Night halt at Jodhpur.

3) Day 3: November 3 2018 Saturday. Jodhpur Rajasthan to Amritsar Punjab. 777 Km. 13 hour

7 AM to 10 PM traveling. Night halt at Amritsar.

4) Day 4: November 4 2018 Sunday. Amritsar Punjab Sightseeing. Wagah Border.

Night halt at Amritsar.

5) Day 5: November 5 2018. Monday. Amritsar to Srinagar. 436 Km. 11 hour 56 min

5 AM to 7 PM

Night halt at Srinagar

6) Day 6: November 6 2018. Tuesday. Srinagar to Kargil. 202 Km. 5 hour 48 min

7 AM to 3 PM

The next couple of hundred kilometers on the NH1 will take you to Kargil from Srinagar. Approximately 6 hours by road, be certain to take a few minutes to stop at the amazing natural beauty of Sonamarg with glaciers in the distance. For any supplies make a pit stop at Feroz Stores just as you approach the Kargil check post.

Night halt at Kargil

7) Day 7: November 7 2018. Wednesday. Kargil to Leh. 217 Km. 4 hour 53 min

7 AM to 2 PM.

From Kargil you’re going to have to continue on the NH1 for another 200 odd kilometers and without any incident you should reach Leh in the next 4 to 5 hours. A short stop at Saspul will give you a chance to stretch your legs and as well as see some stupas and chortens.

The drive from Kargil – Leh was a breeze as the roads were simply amazing. The route was quite scenic and we stopped at each of the mountain passes – Namik La, Fotu La to take photos. We reached Lamayuru by late afternoon. Visit the monastery to get great views of the Moonscapes (moon like landscape). The restaurant outside the monastery serves good food too.

Places to visit: Mulbekh Monastery, Lamayuru Monastery, Zanskar-Indus Confluence, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill

Night halt at Leh

8) Day 8: November 8 2018. Thursday. Leh

First thing, we wanted to get the Inner Line Permit from DC office for Pangong Tso, Nubra Valley. Its a simple procedure. Go to DC office by 10AM. Get the forms, photo id photocopied from a shop nearby. Fill in the basic details and submit in the first counter. They will call out your name. Pay the fees and collect the permit immediately. Make sufficient copies of the same to give at several checkposts. Cost: Rs. 400 per person + Rs. 20 per day Wildlife fee per person. We visited Shey Palace, Zanskar-Indus Confluence, Hall of Fame museum, Shanti Stupa.

Camping: Camp out at Nubra Valley, Pangong Lake or any of the other camping places for some exciting outdoors fun.

Trek: The Chadar Trek is a gruelling but stunning trek that sees its participants crossing over frozen rivers.

Shopping: A great place to explore culture and pick up gifts, in the Tibetan market you will find a host of traditional items, clothes, and foods.

Museums: The Stok Palace Museum and the Hall of Fame museum are two places where history buffs can visit to learn about Ladakh’s history and culture.

Night halt at Leh

9) Day 9: November 9 2018. Friday. Leh -> Pangong. Distance: 223 kilometers

A few hours ride south on the Keylong – Leh road and further East along the Leh-Manali highway, will take you to the Pangong Lake. Perfect natural beauty make for great photo opportunities as well as some bird watching. Head a little further to Spangmik village for a quick meal or spend the night at this beautiful and welcoming little town.

Night halt at Spangmik village.

10) Day 10: November 10 2018. Saturday. Leh-> Khardung La. Distance: 40 kilometers

Merely 40 kilometers from Leh, the Khardung La mountain pass is what you have come here for; the picture that proves you have made it to one of the highest motorable passes in the world. At an altitude over 5000, the famous sign declaring you have reached the highest pass in the world may be a bit exaggerated but will give you a sense of accomplishment all the same. Equally close by is the mysterious magnetic hill; go there to see the magic for yourself.

Night halt at Leh

11) Day 11: November 11 2018. Sunday. Leh -> Nubra Valley. Distance: 160 kilometers

The beautiful Nubra Valley, about 120 kilometers further ahead of Khardung La, is another picture perfect place in the region to visit. One of the most visited valleys, you are sure to find hundreds of visitors like you on two and four wheels.

Night halt at Nubra valley

12) Day 12: November 12 2018. Monday. Leh to Mumbai Road Trip via Manali. Leh -> Sarchu -> Manali. Distance: 473 kilometers

Heading back to Mumbai, take the Leh-Manali highway for about 250 kilometers and get to Sarchu.

Night halt Sarchu

13) Day 13: November 13 2018. Tuesday. Sarchu to Manali. 223 Km. 6 Hour 49 min.

Spend a night at one of the campsites, before continuing along the Leh-Manali highway the next day for around eight hours to get to Manali. With a number of good restaurants and activities; it’s a good idea to indulge in some local food, spend a night and hit the road early the following morning.

Night halt Manali

14) Day 14: November 14 2018. Wednesday. Manali -> Delhi -> Udaipur -> Mumbai. Distance: 1950 kilometers

Manali to Delhi. 535 Km. 11h 53 Min

Get on to the NH 44 and head south towards Delhi. A day’s drive will lead you back to the city renowned for its superb food. Have a good meal and relax that evening.

Night halt Delhi

15) Day 15: November 15 2018. Thursday.

Delhi to Udaipur. 663 Km. 11hour 12 Min

Getting to Mumbai should not take too long as the National Highways 48, 448 and 58 are all good to drive on. You should be able to make good time at average speeds. A stop at Udaipur for a night is a great idea but spending a couple of days in the city will also be fun.

Night halt Udaipur

16) Day 16: November 16 2018. Friday. Drive to Mumbai

Udaipur to Mumbai. 12 hour 47 Min. 753 Km

17) Day 17: November 17 2018. Saturday. Cushion buffer for weather

18) Day 18: November 18 2018. Sunday. Cushion buffer for weather

Section B: Permit Plan

Please noted that the Inner line Permit is not required for visiting all the areas. In fact, it is only required for some areas like Nubra valley, Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah, Hanu Villages, Man, Merak, Nyoma, Loma Bend, Turtuk, Tyakshi, Chusul, Hanle, Digger La, Tangyar (for trekking only). LAHDC Leh Permit .It should be noted that there is no option for making the payment online. For making the payment and getting the permits signed or stamped, you will have to take the printout of the online form along with a copy of it and visit the following address: TIC Office, Opposite J&K Bank. Main Market, Leh

Section C: Vehicle Plan

Private Vehicles (Cars and Bikes).

You must carry some stuff so that help is handy. Carry a screw driver set, Basic toolkit, a few bottles of petrol or diesel, iron rod, small hammer and puncture repair kit. Also do not forget to pack an adhesive, funnel, wires or cables, towing rope, spare tube, M-seal and so on. Do not forget to check the service of your vehicle done before setting on for the journey.

Section D: Medicine Plan

Medicine to take or carry

Diamox – Diamox helps the body to breathe faster hence accelerating the acclimatization process. Take it as a preventive medicine and not once you start feeling AMS. Suggested Quantity – 125-250 mg twice a day. Side Effects – tingling in toes and fingers, numbness, vomiting, nausea, frequent urination etc.

Aspirin/Disprin – Aspirin and Disprin work as blood thinners and enable your blood to carry more oxygen.

Dexamethasone - Dexamethasone also helps in overcoming AMS. Suggested Quantity – 2-4 mg after every 6 hours

Oxygen Cylinders – One must carry portable oxygen cylinders easily available at the chemist shop to avoid AMS.

Note – These medicines are only a recommendation. Do consult an experienced doctor before taking them. If the symptoms still persists, it’s better to drop the idea of moving further and one should plan to descend to a lower altitude.

Apart from these allopathic medicine, natural remedies like Clove, Garlic and Ginger can be used to alleviate AMS.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Dear Yogesh Sir: This is my first road trip to ladakh. My first post here. Wanted some guidance and help. Read a few of your threads and blog of Treebo / Trip Advisor. Below is the itinerary i have prepared for myself Nov 1 to Nov 18 2018. Me (51), My wife (43) and two kids 7 and 6 are planning a trip from Mumbai to Leh. Both my wife and i plan to self drive. Have been on other self driven road trips before. Have been to Manali/Dharmasala before but had not driven myself. Specifically needed your guidance on Day 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. Am a little confused on those 5 days.

a) Where should i halt on those days.
b) A little confused on what permits i need and to take
c) Have I covered the key places as a first time visitor to ladakh.

Apologies for long message. Any guidance appreciated.

Section A: Driving and Halt Plan

1) Mumbai to Leh Road trip – via Srinagar while Going. Mumbai -> Jodhpur -> Amritsar -> Srinagar

Distance: 2190 kilometers

Day 1: November 1 2018 Thursday. Mumbai to Vapi. 176 Km. 3 Hour 3 Min.

7 PM to 11 PM traveling. Night halt at Vapi.

2) Day 2: November 2 2018 Friday. Vapi to Jodhpur Rajasthan. 802 Km. 13 Hour 30 Min.

7 AM to 10 PM traveling. Night halt at Jodhpur.

3) Day 3: November 3 2018 Saturday. Jodhpur Rajasthan to Amritsar Punjab. 777 Km. 13 hour

7 AM to 10 PM traveling. Night halt at Amritsar.

4) Day 4: November 4 2018 Sunday. Amritsar Punjab Sightseeing. Wagah Border.

Night halt at Amritsar.

5) Day 5: November 5 2018. Monday. Amritsar to Srinagar. 436 Km. 11 hour 56 min

5 AM to 7 PM

Night halt at Srinagar

6) Day 6: November 6 2018. Tuesday. Srinagar to Kargil. 202 Km. 5 hour 48 min

7 AM to 3 PM

The next couple of hundred kilometers on the NH1 will take you to Kargil from Srinagar. Approximately 6 hours by road, be certain to take a few minutes to stop at the amazing natural beauty of Sonamarg with glaciers in the distance. For any supplies make a pit stop at Feroz Stores just as you approach the Kargil check post.

Night halt at Kargil

7) Day 7: November 7 2018. Wednesday. Kargil to Leh. 217 Km. 4 hour 53 min

7 AM to 2 PM.

From Kargil you’re going to have to continue on the NH1 for another 200 odd kilometers and without any incident you should reach Leh in the next 4 to 5 hours. A short stop at Saspul will give you a chance to stretch your legs and as well as see some stupas and chortens.

The drive from Kargil – Leh was a breeze as the roads were simply amazing. The route was quite scenic and we stopped at each of the mountain passes – Namik La, Fotu La to take photos. We reached Lamayuru by late afternoon. Visit the monastery to get great views of the Moonscapes (moon like landscape). The restaurant outside the monastery serves good food too.

Places to visit: Mulbekh Monastery, Lamayuru Monastery, Zanskar-Indus Confluence, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill

Night halt at Leh

8) Day 8: November 8 2018. Thursday. Leh

First thing, we wanted to get the Inner Line Permit from DC office for Pangong Tso, Nubra Valley. Its a simple procedure. Go to DC office by 10AM. Get the forms, photo id photocopied from a shop nearby. Fill in the basic details and submit in the first counter. They will call out your name. Pay the fees and collect the permit immediately. Make sufficient copies of the same to give at several checkposts. Cost: Rs. 400 per person + Rs. 20 per day Wildlife fee per person. We visited Shey Palace, Zanskar-Indus Confluence, Hall of Fame museum, Shanti Stupa.

Camping: Camp out at Nubra Valley, Pangong Lake or any of the other camping places for some exciting outdoors fun.

Trek: The Chadar Trek is a gruelling but stunning trek that sees its participants crossing over frozen rivers.

Shopping: A great place to explore culture and pick up gifts, in the Tibetan market you will find a host of traditional items, clothes, and foods.

Museums: The Stok Palace Museum and the Hall of Fame museum are two places where history buffs can visit to learn about Ladakh’s history and culture.

Night halt at Leh

9) Day 9: November 9 2018. Friday. Leh -> Pangong. Distance: 223 kilometers

A few hours ride south on the Keylong – Leh road and further East along the Leh-Manali highway, will take you to the Pangong Lake. Perfect natural beauty make for great photo opportunities as well as some bird watching. Head a little further to Spangmik village for a quick meal or spend the night at this beautiful and welcoming little town.

Night halt at Spangmik village.

10) Day 10: November 10 2018. Saturday. Leh-> Khardung La. Distance: 40 kilometers

Merely 40 kilometers from Leh, the Khardung La mountain pass is what you have come here for; the picture that proves you have made it to one of the highest motorable passes in the world. At an altitude over 5000, the famous sign declaring you have reached the highest pass in the world may be a bit exaggerated but will give you a sense of accomplishment all the same. Equally close by is the mysterious magnetic hill; go there to see the magic for yourself.

Night halt at Leh

11) Day 11: November 11 2018. Sunday. Leh -> Nubra Valley. Distance: 160 kilometers

The beautiful Nubra Valley, about 120 kilometers further ahead of Khardung La, is another picture perfect place in the region to visit. One of the most visited valleys, you are sure to find hundreds of visitors like you on two and four wheels.

Night halt at Nubra valley

12) Day 12: November 12 2018. Monday. Leh to Mumbai Road Trip via Manali. Leh -> Sarchu -> Manali. Distance: 473 kilometers

Heading back to Mumbai, take the Leh-Manali highway for about 250 kilometers and get to Sarchu.

Night halt Sarchu

13) Day 13: November 13 2018. Tuesday. Sarchu to Manali. 223 Km. 6 Hour 49 min.

Spend a night at one of the campsites, before continuing along the Leh-Manali highway the next day for around eight hours to get to Manali. With a number of good restaurants and activities; it’s a good idea to indulge in some local food, spend a night and hit the road early the following morning.

Night halt Manali

14) Day 14: November 14 2018. Wednesday. Manali -> Delhi -> Udaipur -> Mumbai. Distance: 1950 kilometers

Manali to Delhi. 535 Km. 11h 53 Min

Get on to the NH 44 and head south towards Delhi. A day’s drive will lead you back to the city renowned for its superb food. Have a good meal and relax that evening.

Night halt Delhi

15) Day 15: November 15 2018. Thursday.

Delhi to Udaipur. 663 Km. 11hour 12 Min

Getting to Mumbai should not take too long as the National Highways 48, 448 and 58 are all good to drive on. You should be able to make good time at average speeds. A stop at Udaipur for a night is a great idea but spending a couple of days in the city will also be fun.

Night halt Udaipur

16) Day 16: November 16 2018. Friday. Drive to Mumbai

Udaipur to Mumbai. 12 hour 47 Min. 753 Km

17) Day 17: November 17 2018. Saturday. Cushion buffer for weather

18) Day 18: November 18 2018. Sunday. Cushion buffer for weather

Section B: Permit Plan

Please noted that the Inner line Permit is not required for visiting all the areas. In fact, it is only required for some areas like Nubra valley, Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah, Hanu Villages, Man, Merak, Nyoma, Loma Bend, Turtuk, Tyakshi, Chusul, Hanle, Digger La, Tangyar (for trekking only). LAHDC Leh Permit .It should be noted that there is no option for making the payment online. For making the payment and getting the permits signed or stamped, you will have to take the printout of the online form along with a copy of it and visit the following address: TIC Office, Opposite J&K Bank. Main Market, Leh

Section C: Vehicle Plan

Private Vehicles (Cars and Bikes).

You must carry some stuff so that help is handy. Carry a screw driver set, Basic toolkit, a few bottles of petrol or diesel, iron rod, small hammer and puncture repair kit. Also do not forget to pack an adhesive, funnel, wires or cables, towing rope, spare tube, M-seal and so on. Do not forget to check the service of your vehicle done before setting on for the journey.

Section D: Medicine Plan

Medicine to take or carry

Diamox – Diamox helps the body to breathe faster hence accelerating the acclimatization process. Take it as a preventive medicine and not once you start feeling AMS. Suggested Quantity – 125-250 mg twice a day. Side Effects – tingling in toes and fingers, numbness, vomiting, nausea, frequent urination etc.

Aspirin/Disprin – Aspirin and Disprin work as blood thinners and enable your blood to carry more oxygen.

Dexamethasone - Dexamethasone also helps in overcoming AMS. Suggested Quantity – 2-4 mg after every 6 hours

Oxygen Cylinders – One must carry portable oxygen cylinders easily available at the chemist shop to avoid AMS.

Note – These medicines are only a recommendation. Do consult an experienced doctor before taking them. If the symptoms still persists, it’s better to drop the idea of moving further and one should plan to descend to a lower altitude.

Apart from these allopathic medicine, natural remedies like Clove, Garlic and Ginger can be used to alleviate AMS.
My suggestion would be to either prepone your journey to the next few days or postpone it to next year.

Zoji La normally closes in November, this year winter is coming early, so there is a chance you can get stuck in Ladakh and will have to fly back, leaving your car behind.

Manali – Leh Highway would be officially closed by mid or end of this month, though it is close as of now, due to the heavy snowfall in September, which stranded hundreds of vehicles.

jitenderpathania

Globetrekker
Just came back via Srinagar last week. Zozi La might close earlier as suggested by Yogesh Sir. Had to wait more than 3 hours at the pass as road clearance was going on. :cry:

As a result reached Jammu way past mid night as there was the famous old Traffic Jam between Banihal and Ramban which took us nearly 6 hours to cross :rolleyes: