Anniv gift for wife: droid phone

AMG

Banned
Well, the dell isnt a phone.

You will HAVE TO use a bluetooth headset to make calls, as the streak doesnt have a mic.

draz

Well, the dell isnt a phone.

You will HAVE TO use a bluetooth headset to make calls, as the streak doesnt have a mic.
I guess mine was broken, ( the other end parties were hearing me without Bluetooth headset )

Viny

Xperia Series stays outdated in current scenario, its 1.6, will get updated to 2.1 probably by the end of this year, by that time Android 3 will be released so again it would be 2 version back dated, furthermore no custom roms available for Xperia series as of now and neither SE had shown any commitment for providing upgrades after 2.1, Go for Xperia Mini only if you want a low cost android phone. X10 is good, but with with 2.1 its not getting ample juice for its specs.

Galaxy S or iphone 4 are good phone in that budget range.

torque

If not the iPhone 3GS, I would suggest the Galaxy S. As a platform, the Android has a lot to catch up as far as usability is concerned and the web browser isnt as fluid and smooth as my 3GS let alone the new iPhone 4.

Stay away from SE Xperia range. Hugely overrated. The most expensive X10 doesn't even support multi touch.

deejay

no longer active
With all due respect, I beg to differ @torque. Have you used Galaxy S?

I agree that iPhone has one of the best user experiences, but thats the end of it. Some of the basic things are missing in that phone! One of them being multi-tasking.

With the release of Android 2.1, it has become one of the most stable platforms out there. What you have mentioned here is the Manufacturer and Carrier branding issues. The phone, especially Xperia (if not for the 1.6 impl.) and SGS, is not laggy, the implementation of a particular OEM/Carrier is.

torque

With all due respect, I beg to differ @torque. Have you used Galaxy S?
Yup for two days and I really wanted to like it.

I agree that iPhone has one of the best user experiences, but thats the end of it. Some of the basic things are missing in that phone! One of them being multi-tasking.
From iOS4 onwards the iPhone supports multitasking. Yes the developer has to code the apps in such a way that they can use Apple's 7 identified processes but so what. Atleast my phone doesn't slow down no matter how many apps are open and the battery juice isnt sucked too.

With the release of Android 2.1, it has become one of the most stable platforms out there. What you have mentioned here is the Manufacturer and Carrier branding issues. The phone, especially Xperia (if not for the 1.6 impl.) and SGS, is not laggy, the implementation of a particular OEM/Carrier is.
I am not saying Galaxy S laggy, no not my a long shot. Its just that I expected more. I will give you an example: The Android's implementation of kinetic scroll is very choppy because apple implements inertia kinetic scroll which is far more usable. With all the hardware mumbo jumbo 1 GHz proc and the most powerful GPU in a mobile phone, the browser experience left a lot to be desired. The multi touch zoom was choppy and the phone stuttered whilst going through the web page and this compared to my 3GS which has more than 60 apps installed and comes with a 600 mhz only processor.

And what about the copy paste implementation. Apple's implementation is by far the best in the industry because it works just like you computers copy and paste which means not only it can copy paste text, it can also copy multimedia content.

Many people argue that Android is an open platform which is why I prefer it. I ask you a simple question, If I am a normal end user and not a developer, how does it help me? I would still buy my apps from the app store which is not as exhaustive as Apple's.

The GPS on my 3GS locks without A-GPS within 30 seconds while I struggled to get a lock on the Galaxy S standing under the open sky for 5 minutes!

The camera app is really slow compared to the 3GS.

The biggest disadvantage with iPhone is that you have to use iTunes for basically doing anything with it and that it doesn't support bluetooth transfers.

Can you tell me as an end user in what way Android OS is better than iOS 4??? To me the biggest competition right now to iOS 4 in terms of interface is the Windows Mobile 7. Its fantastic.

dheeraj

Zzzzz...
always bought phones for the features they offer but end up using it for making and receiving calls and texting:) the original two intended uses:)

torque

always bought phones for the features they offer but end up using it for making and receiving calls and texting:) the original two intended uses:)
Which is why I recommend that you spend some time with iPhone 3GS and use it like its meant to be used and if you have an eye for details, you wouldn't go back to Android ever! :)