Anniv gift for wife: droid phone

Admin01

Administrator
Its the iphone4 only. hong kong price with warranty is only 29k.
Great, so you are getting it from Hong Kong and the warranty is applicable in India as well? Btw I heard that iPhone4 supports only small sims, so you will have to get the normal chopped.

deejay

no longer active
From iOS4 onwards the iPhone supports multitasking. Yes the developer has to code the apps in such a way that they can use Apple's 7 identified processes but so what.
From a technical standpoint, this makes a lot of difference. I haven't looked into iOS developer platform, so can't comment, but looks like Apple has decided which processes can be swaped in/out. That is not true multi-tasking. For that the OS has to be able to manage the processes by itself, be it native apps, or 3rd-party.

Atleast my phone doesn't slow down no matter how many apps are open and the battery juice isnt sucked too.
The battery technology hasn't kept up with the CPU industry. The new CPUs are much more demanding on any device and a mere 1500 mAH battery can only last so long. But, even with my heavy usage (Automatic Push Email, Syncing SNS all day long, making calls/texts, always connected (24hrs) to EDGE, I get more than a day of battery backup.

About it slowing down, haven't experienced more than a momentary lag at any given point of time.

I am not saying Galaxy S laggy, no not my a long shot. Its just that I expected more. I will give you an example: The Android's implementation of kinetic scroll is very choppy because apple implements inertia kinetic scroll which is far more usable. With all the hardware mumbo jumbo 1 GHz proc and the most powerful GPU in a mobile phone, the browser experience left a lot to be desired. The multi touch zoom was choppy and the phone stuttered whilst going through the web page and this compared to my 3GS which has more than 60 apps installed and comes with a 600 mhz only processor.
What exactly do you mean choppy? I'm asking cuz, I find the kinetic scroll to be snappy at all times, and not just in the browser. Yes, there is a minor text re-flow bug that doesn't re-adjust the text after pinch to zoom unless you tap it, but not choppy at all.

And what about the copy paste implementation. Apple's implementation is by far the best in the industry because it works just like you computers copy and paste which means not only it can copy paste text, it can also copy multimedia content.
What would you copy the content for? Sharing? Everything on an Android phone can be shared at a click w/o having to first copy it and then paste it in the target app. Also, the list of apps that can share your content is dynamic based on the Intent filters.

Many people argue that Android is an open platform which is why I prefer it. I ask you a simple question, If I am a normal end user and not a developer, how does it help me? I would still buy my apps from the app store which is not as exhaustive as Apple's.
Android app store crossed 100K mark yesterday and is ever increasing. Still you are not restricted to the app store. You can download and install any non-market app. Oh and BTW, you don't need no approvals from Steve Jobs to be able to install the app. As an end user, if I buy a 30+K phone, I might as well be able to install whatever I wish to.

Another advantage of the open platform is that if I don't like a native app, I can find a 3rd party app which suits my needs and swap it whenever I want. There is nothing that you cannot swap out. Even the most intrinsic components such as Contacts or a Phone Dialer. So for an end user, he ends up with a lot lot more choices.

The GPS on my 3GS locks without A-GPS within 30 seconds while I struggled to get a lock on the Galaxy S standing under the open sky for 5 minutes!
Did you have any data connection on the phone? Both iPhone and Galaxy S come with A-GPS which locks on way faster if you have a data connection. I haven't had to wait for a GPS lock for more than 20 seconds.

The camera app is really slow compared to the 3GS.
I'll give you this one.

The biggest disadvantage with iPhone is that you have to use iTunes for basically doing anything with it and that it doesn't support bluetooth transfers.
This is one of the primary reasons iPhone has never been on my wishlist.

Can you tell me as an end user in what way Android OS is better than iOS 4??? To me the biggest competition right now to iOS 4 in terms of interface is the Windows Mobile 7. Its fantastic.
Every end user has different needs and no one platform or device can hope to satisfy them all. So for an end user, what will make a difference is based on what they want out of the device.

However, technically speaking, I would go with an open platform over a closed one any day. That is not to say that iOS is bad, just that it doesn't work for me.

torque

From a technical standpoint, this makes a lot of difference. I haven't looked into iOS developer platform, so can't comment, but looks like Apple has decided which processes can be swaped in/out. That is not true multi-tasking. For that the OS has to be able to manage the processes by itself, be it native apps, or 3rd-party.
Multitasking needs on a computer and a smartphone are different, atleast the extent. If OS is going to manage multitasking it would mean extra overheard on the CPU and the extra I/O which would drain the battery faster. Even though it is not true multitasking and developer has to change its code to implement it, I as an end user is not affected by it.
The upside is that the phone feels snappy at all times which is what the end user is bothered with.

Its easier to compare it a PC and say that it isnt perfect but its fundamentally wrong.

The battery technology hasn't kept up with the CPU industry. The new CPUs are much more demanding on any device and a mere 1500 mAH battery can only last so long. But, even with my heavy usage (Automatic Push Email, Syncing SNS all day long, making calls/texts, always connected (24hrs) to EDGE, I get more than a day of battery backup.
With Apple's solution you could have had more than day even then I think with the kind of usage it is pretty impressive.

About it slowing down, haven't experienced more than a momentary lag at any given point of time.
And thats with an industry leading hardware built in. My iPhone 3GS with half the ram, 40% slower CPU and inferior graphics feels much more snappier and never slow down.... never!

What exactly do you mean choppy? I'm asking cuz, I find the kinetic scroll to be snappy at all times, and not just in the browser. Yes, there is a minor text re-flow bug that doesn't re-adjust the text after pinch to zoom unless you tap it, but not choppy at all.
I am sorry the right word isnt choppy. Its the difference between inertia scroll and normal kinetic scroll. The inertia implementation is my view is much better.

What would you copy the content for? Sharing? Everything on an Android phone can be shared at a click w/o having to first copy it and then paste it in the target app. Also, the list of apps that can share your content is dynamic based on the Intent filters.
What if I want to email a complete webpage via email to my friend or keep it as reference for myself?

Android app store crossed 100K mark yesterday and is ever increasing. Still you are not restricted to the app store. You can download and install any non-market app.
For the uninitiated Jailbreaking iPhone is legal now.

Oh and BTW, you don't need no approvals from Steve Jobs to be able to install the app. As an end user, if I buy a 30+K phone, I might as well be able to install whatever I wish to.
There is an upisde and downside to it. The upside is that since Apple is so strict with its app policy, you get a consistent UI feel across applications with the same fluidity as the stock iPhone apps.

Another advantage of the open platform is that if I don't like a native app, I can find a 3rd party app which suits my needs and swap it whenever I want. There is nothing that you cannot swap out. Even the most intrinsic components such as Contacts or a Phone Dialer. So for an end user, he ends up with a lot lot more choices.
Yes I agree but thats for the power user. 99% of the end users are happy with what they get.

Did you have any data connection on the phone? Both iPhone and Galaxy S come with A-GPS which locks on way faster if you have a data connection. I haven't had to wait for a GPS lock for more than 20 seconds.
Nopes the EDGE was off on both the phones. Even I couldnt believe how fast was the iphone even with A-GPS turned off.

Every end user has different needs and no one platform or device can hope to satisfy them all. So for an end user, what will make a difference is based on what they want out of the device.
Exactly and the iPhone satifies me as a phone, a GPS device, a music player and as a portable gaming platform. :)

However, technically speaking, I would go with an open platform over a closed one any day. That is not to say that iOS is bad, just that it doesn't work for me.
Having an Open platform for a phone and open platform for a PC isn't an apples to apples comparison. If thats what you wanted Nokia N900 is a far better option.

amigo

Yogesh- my brother lives in HK and he keeps visiting so will most prolly buy in his name.

Thanks guys. No idea that soo much gyan would come out of this.

In complete contrast to all this tech talk - Junking the surprise, I just asked my wife what she wants she simply said iphone. Why? "Cause its apple".