Another trip to Ladakh - September 2018

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Gaurav Tomar, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Gaurav Tomar

Gaurav Tomar Active Member

360° view of Pangong Lake

Ek choti si water crossing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

adsatinder likes this.
  2. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi

Great Poser !
    Great Views !
    Great Images !
    Great Memories !

Gaurav Tomar likes this.
  3. Gaurav Tomar

Another dashcam video of our lakeside drive..

4. Gaurav Tomar

Day 10
    16/09 (Sun), Merak - Hanle

Last night must be sub zero and we had to take an additional layer of quilt. I was the first one to get up early @ 5:30 - yes it's too early for me as I have been working as per UK working hours since 11+ years so my regular morning starts at 9. Other guys did not want to come out of the quilt so I decided to go alone near the lake around 6:15 and that entire place was mine for that hour - what a beautiful and colourful quite morning it was

I returned to HS and joined other guys at Tea then we 3 got ready and moved after having breakfast towards Chushul. Our journey continued alongside the lake for some 18 more kms close to Chushul. Permits were checked at Chushul check post and we got BSNL network back in the village so we informed our families. Our next stop was 13 kms ahead 'Rezang La' where Major Shaitan Singh shown his bravery in 1962 war, spent sometime in war memorial and moved ahead towards Tsaga La. There was some improvement in road condition after Chushul though it was all dusty non tarred road till Tsaga La, this route runs through very close to China border at our left hand side. We had Maggie at the pass and a chit chat with dhaba guy gave us some insights on the hardship of locals in that region specially in winters.

We found good roads after Tsaga La throughout till Hanle and landscapes were changed too. A lot of greenery on both sides of the road and colourful mountains were looking beautiful. Our permits were checked at Loma and they told us not to take left after crossing the Loma bridge, that left road goes to Demchok but we continued straight. Just after crossing the bridge, 2 wild dangerous Chunkies (local dogs) chased us for few metres - Chunkies are dangerous as couple of chunkies are capable to kill a snow leopard. Loma to Hanle was 50 kms with excellent roads, we covered this distance in an hour with couple of photo breaks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    nadz11.ns and adsatinder like this.
  5. Gaurav Tomar

We checked in famous Padma Guest House in Hanle, owner is Sonam Dorjay who is a member of our HVK group too . We knew that we will get fuel through Sonam Dorjay in Hanle, it was a big relief as we were not carrying additional fuel with us and next fuel pump was far away in Tandi. After settling in HS, we moved to see Observatory which is world's second highest Observatory (First is in Chile). It's situated on top of the hill a bit away from village, we visited the Observatory then moved towards a drive around village including Monastery which seemed closed permanently but situated at a beautiful location.

BSNL connectivity was good in the village so we were well connected to family and friends. We took 20 litres Diesel at 1300 from Sonam Dorjay and paid 2400 with meals for our stay there. That night was cold but our quilts were good enough to keep us warm. We did not compromise on drinking a lot of water regularly which helped us with no health issues due to AMS.

Another beautiful day of our trip ended[​IMG]Sonam's 9 months old daughter - Tenzin[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

nadz11.ns likes this.
  6. skysat2005

skysat2005 Super User

Beautiful back to back updates.
    You drove really fast to cover Nubra to Pangong distance.
    For Rezang La war memorial, It was "Major" Shaitan Singh (instead of Captain) who led the force.
    Cheers...

adsatinder and Gaurav Tomar like this.
  7. Gaurav Tomar

Thanks for correcting, amended the post

8. Gaurav Tomar

Nubra to Pangong we took 5.5 hours..

9. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi