Anti theft/security solution for Automatic cars - which one is reliable?

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Hello All,

sorry if my question is too naïve or dumb, I am coming from understanding that good old Gear lock is best bet when you want to save your car. But I learnt that Automatic cars can't have gear lock, some of manufacturers say gear lock is not possible on their cars.

so question is which Anti theft mechanism / device do owners of Automatic cars use, which gives them peace of mind? Any advice from experienced fellow members will be really helpful

Thanks
Pankaj

AnupamR

Super User
Mr. Bean might answer your question. :lol: :lol:

Hello All,

sorry if my question is too naïve or dumb, I am coming from understanding that good old Gear lock is best bet when you want to save your car. But I learnt that Automatic cars can't have gear lock, some of manufacturers say gear lock is not possible on their cars.

so question is which Anti theft mechanism / device do owners of Automatic cars use, which gives them peace of mind? Any advice from experienced fellow members will be really helpful

Thanks
Pankaj

Trick is to use unusual types of many l;ocks.
Mostly, theft happens at night.
Keep yourself safe at night the most.

Other than this you can have a plan of GPS Tracker to check where you car is.
This may cost 4-5K or more annuallly.

Last edited:

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Steering along with tires. LOL
:) Mr bean's solution is very Nice, take the steering with you :) and improvise by taking one tire with you!!

But on serious note, my question was if not gear lock then what ? those steering locks look ugly, don't know how effective they are

But on serious note, my question was if not gear lock then what ? those steering locks look ugly, don't know how effective they are
This is visual deterrent.

Mostly a Thief will avoid such car.
He will move on to next one.
He has to spend more time for this. He wants fast job and will need to work with less tools.
This is why I am asking for more number of unusual locks.

This works for Big cities.

Now Tyre Locks are popular in Delhi for night. People use 2 mostly at night for a new car.

If someone is hellbent to steal your car only then he will hit & try multiple times and will get successful anyhow.
Mostly mechanics are professional thiefs, they steal on order.

Anil_S

The usual gear locks are available for automatic cars. I got one installed in my Breeza AT recently in Noida. Go the an accessory shop, ask them telling exact model. In my case, he called up the technician, who came & installed the lock. It is base plate which is different.

AnupamR

Super User
Its not that easy these days that you spark 2 wires and run away. The way we used to start Ambassador, Indica and Old Maruti’s.

The ECM requires signal from the immobilizer key fob, without that code the EFI wont work and car won’t get a spark. You can hook up the starter with a battery to crank but the engine will not run.

Also, it is misconception that anyone can hook up a new ECU or some OBD tool and steal the car.

In modern cars, ECU will give you 3 tries and after that it will lock the ignition and only a company certified technician can unlock and that too after spending many hours.

Long story short, stop bothering yourself in running after additional after market Anti Theft devices and rely on your manufacture.

Worst case, if something happens you have insurance to claim. Cheers.

:) Mr bean's solution is very Nice, take the steering with you :) and improvise by taking one tire with you!!