Anti theft/security solution for Automatic cars - which one is reliable?

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
One of the most inexpensive ways is to just put a GSM enabled phone in your car. Silent mode.

If it does gets stolen, at least, you will know where it is.

chauhan_ait

The tourer
Its not that easy these days that you spark 2 wires and run away. The way we used to start Ambassador, Indica and Old Maruti’s.

The ECM requires signal from the immobilizer key fob, without that code the EFI wont work and car won’t get a spark. You can hook up the starter with a battery to crank but the engine will not run.

Also, it is misconception that anyone can hook up a new ECU or some OBD tool and steal the car.

In modern cars, ECU will give you 3 tries and after that it will lock the ignition and only a company certified technician can unlock and that too after spending many hours.

Long story short, stop bothering yourself in running after additional after market Anti Theft devices and rely on your manufacture.

Worst case, if something happens you have insurance to claim. Cheers.
Thank you Anupam, this is assuring! :)

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Its not that easy these days that you spark 2 wires and run away. The way we used to start Ambassador, Indica and Old Maruti’s.

The ECM requires signal from the immobilizer key fob, without that code the EFI wont work and car won’t get a spark. You can hook up the starter with a battery to crank but the engine will not run.

Also, it is misconception that anyone can hook up a new ECU or some OBD tool and steal the car.

In modern cars, ECU will give you 3 tries and after that it will lock the ignition and only a company certified technician can unlock and that too after spending many hours.

Long story short, stop bothering yourself in running after additional after market Anti Theft devices and rely on your manufacture.

Worst case, if something happens you have insurance to claim. Cheers.
I was assured when I took my ford ecosport, that with all the modern electronics, it wont be possible for someone to steal it.

However, a scorpio once got stolen near my home and it made me explore options.

Well, dont be so carefree

Have a look

key fob ford hack - Google Search

AnupamR

Super User
OK, so what options did you explore and what mods were done to prevent?

Bro, I am pretty sure that Ford has superior technology compared to Mahindra. LOL.

And indeed chances are there, however percentage is less and this is why we pay insurance, right?

I was assured when I took my ford ecosport, that with all the modern electronics, it wont be possible for someone to steal it.

However, a scorpio once got stolen near my home and it made me explore options.

Well, dont be so carefree

Have a look

key fob ford hack - Google Search

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
OK, so what options did you explore and what mods were done to prevent?

Bro, I am pretty sure that Ford has superior technology compared to Mahindra. LOL.

And indeed chances are there, however percentage is less and this is why we pay insurance, right?

I am talking about Ford only.

The link that I posted above, is for Ford Only, not for Mahindra.

I then realized that for a determined thief, the best thing that we can do is to just put a gsm enabled phone in the car, in case it gets stolen.

There are tracking devices that can be hooked up to the car but why invest in them when a GSM based cellphone can do the trick.

chauhan_ait

The tourer

I then realized that for a determined thief, the best thing that we can do is to just put a gsm enabled phone in the car, in case it gets stolen.

There are tracking devices that can be hooked up to the car but why invest in them when a GSM based cellphone can do the trick.
In that case if your car has inbuilt support for GPS tracking and fancy things that setup a home perimeter (give alarms etc if car leaves a preset radius). This is good if somebody tries to take your car, but this will not be deterrent so that nobody will try to run away with you car

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
In that case if your car has inbuilt support for GPS tracking and fancy things that setup a home perimeter (give alarms etc if car leaves a preset radius). This is good if somebody tries to take your car, but this will not be deterrent so that nobody will try to run away with you car
I have been thinking about something so simple that the person trying to steal the car doesnt even know it exists.

on the lines of a remote opearated circuit that gives out a loud sound. Idea is to leave the circuit on and then if someone opens the door, or even flexes a steering wheel, the alarm goes off.

Of course, it will have to be hooked up to the car battery.

till then, GSm phone is my only line of defense.

AnupamR

Super User
Honestly, I don't rely on Mahindra's technology and can surely vouch for Ford.

To some extend putting a GSM phone hooked with power is good idea but the problem is to find a reliable/safe and hidden place.

I was using one plug and play OBD tool back in India, I could not recall the name now, that was good too. Has all features we can think of but the only drawback was visibility.

AnupamR

Super User
I have similar feature in my car and that really gives me peace of mind.