April in Himachal: Rampur – Sarahan – Sangla – Chitkul – Kalpa - Narkanda

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not getting hyper at all.... :eek: Since I belong to that place so I think being a bit biased is justified…:rolleyes: :)
You don't seem able to see that you are reading a travelogue that is full of admiration for your home state! :eek:
And, I dare say you need to visit J&K! :rolleyes:

Indianature

Time Passer
wow just amazing pics... loved each of them :)
Thank you WED!
----------------------------------

Oh My God!!!

Such a lot of controversy over nothing .......... As my friend Sachin would say " Ai La!"

A nice blog otherwise

Thank you Trailblazer
.. except the Derogatory remarks about the incredible state of Himachal
Derogatory?
I said: "Himachal Pradesh proudly claims to be “Dev Bhoomi” though if you ask me, I believe there are infinitely more temples in the state of Tamil Nadu …. Not that I wish to initiate a heated debate on this matter. HP may continue to proclaim itself as The Dev Bhoomi"

So what pray, is derogatory about that?

I do not fathom what is derogatory in what I said. I also said: "Not that I wish to initiate a heated debate on this matter. HP may continue to proclaim itself as The Dev Bhoomi" so what is there to take offence about?

If anyone chooses to selectively pick a sentence in isolation and then take offence at self-construed derogatory remarks where no offence was ever intended, then that is absolutely the offended persons prerogative. Nothing I can, or would even want to do about that.

Incidentally if you care to read what I said again you will see clearly that I did not say that Himachal claims to have the maximum temples. I said, and I maintain that Himachal Pradesh proclaims itself in HP and various Tourism ads to be "Dev Bhoomi".

Those who believe that are welcome to their belief. Nothing offensive about it and its an excellent advertising strategy, well used by HP's tourism board.

Some, who may believe that God is omnipresent and not exclusive to any particular place or state are not being derogatory by holding their own belief. Nothing offensive about this belief.

No one least of all I,dispute that HP is a very beautiful state. If it were not, I would not have spent substantial sums in three trips to this state - thus boosting in my own small way, its tourism revenue.

Whether HP is more 'mystical' or more 'pure' than any other place - That may be the personal opinion of some which they are welcome to. I am neither offended by this view, nor interested in debating the subject.

Let us not get offended by small things, especially where no offence was ever intended.

TrailBlazer, welcome?! :)

What a school master style entry! :(
What makes you so hyper about Himachal Pradesh? :confused:
Anup ji, he is certainly entitled to his opinion but why he took such offence, I dont know.

for me it has to be Uttrakhand which deserves Dev Bhoomi Tag , Rather it is :p
but i wont mind if HP or kerala, TN or even Ulta pradesh is assigned the tag :D it does not matter to any extent..

TrailBlazer, welcome to the forum.. we do understand what you want to say but such level of excitement in your words is not desired..

lets all Enjoy the nature not what administration has to say about the place... :)
Chalo, HP is a Dev Bhoomi, so is UK, TN, KL, and all other states and places in this world. :D;)

Sir,
I am not getting hyper at all.... :eek: Since I belong to that place so I think being a bit biased is justified…:rolleyes: :)
Be as biased as you like Trailblazer, but be happy, don't read meanings where none exist.:D

You don't seem able to see that you are reading a travelogue that is full of admiration for your home state! :eek:
I think I will visit JK next, instead of another trip to HP. Does JK have better roads if not better Dev's?:grin::grin:

rock75

uttarakhand is the 'debhumi' having badrinath, kedarnath, gangotri and yamunotri and countless other temples, Himachal also can be called as abode of gods! I think it is not the number of temples a state has, but the pristine landscapes and divine mountains, the fact that most of our rives originate here, these are considered as abode of gods!

It's for nothing that Himachal and Uttarakhand are one of the most preferred destinations on bcmt!

This isn't meant to take the discussion OT but just my view on this, For me all of India is Devbhoomi!

Last edited:

Trailblazer

No doubt, the travelogue is superbly written and has amazing pics... My only concern was that little remark... Apart from that it is an exceptional travelogue.
I have already done a road trip to ladakh long back, I don't have a soft copy of the pics as there were no point and shoot cameras that time.. :( (I would have loved to share a travelogue of that trip) The camera I had that time was one with those film rolls. :)
I thoroughly admire that place and the state of J&K :)

very nice.......informative and detailed log........with some beautiful pictures. Gitaji.....never mind controversy......it has made t log even more lively and spicy....I think trailbrazer means good things.....keep pouring with more zeal.............I have already made one ride to Barot after reading your t log.............waiting for more.\\:D/

naveenchhillar

WOW - read the entire log in one GO.

Must say - very nice & brief/ to point description of the days that you spent there. Adding onto that, beautiful pictures, lovely processing (though minimal). Felt I was going alongwith u on every road :)

Indianature

Time Passer
Gita'di, you have a very nice way of writing a log. Loving your narration and the depth of coverage along with the adorable blossom pics.
Thank you Teufel

No doubt, the travelogue is superbly written and has amazing pics... My only concern was that little remark... Apart from that it is an exceptional travelogue.
I have already done a road trip to ladakh long back, I don't have a soft copy of the pics as there were no point and shoot cameras that time.. :( (I would have loved to share a travelogue of that trip) The camera I had that time was one with those film rolls. :)
Thanks again Trailblazer.
Do post some photos about your beautiful state.

very nice.......informative and detailed log........with some beautiful pictures. Gitaji.....never mind controversy......it has made t log even more lively and spicy....I think trailbrazer means good things.....keep pouring with more zeal.............I have already made one ride to Barot after reading your t log.............waiting for more.\\:D/
Thanks Joyclubsunil, yes you are right, nothing like a bit of masala to spice things up a bit!

Barot, ahhh that is another beautiful place, I had almost forgotten last years visit there, thanks for reminding me about it.

WOW - read the entire log in one GO.

Must say - very nice & brief/ to point description of the days that you spent there. Adding onto that, beautiful pictures, lovely processing (though minimal). Felt I was going alongwith u on every road :)
Thanks Naveenchillar.
Processing is whatever I could manage with photoscape. I could not get the light right with the snow pics but its okay for now.

Indianature

Time Passer
Rakchham to Chhitkul

It started raining during our walk through Rakchham village and for the rest of the evening and for most of the night. We barely managed to make it back to the Rupin before the downpour began in right earnest!

Rakchham is approx. 3100m AMSL so with the rain and wind chill, it was really freezing that night. The 400W heater at the hotel was inadequate but the heavy razais more than ensured a cozy night.

The next morning fortunately, was dry.
The view from our room was fabulous!

Good Morning Rakchham

Gently lit up mountain peak at sunrise
1 Good Morning Rakchham.jpg
1a Good Morning Rakchham1.jpg

Deciding to make the most of the good weather, we set off after breakfast for Chhitkul about 10km away. The road was good if narrow. There was no traffic apart from another taxi with some Thai ladies who were also staying at the Rupin.

Scenery along the way
3 Enroute to Chitkul.jpg

Some ITBP and SSB groups are stationed at quite a few places in this region. This appears to be one of their camps
4 Camp enroute Chitkul.jpg

Never ending series of snowy mountains
5 Enroute to Chitkul1.jpg
6 Mountains enroute Chitkul.jpg

A 'glacier' appeared by the roadside!
7 Glacier ahead.jpg
7a C Glacier on road to Chitkul.jpg
7b Roadside glacier.jpg

Nice but tame. Not as exciting as the glacier we saw last year near Langera in Chamba district. That glacier had swallowed the road. And we climbed it!

Looking back from where we came
7c The way we came.jpg

The River Baspa deep in the valley below
9a Baspa in deep valley below.jpg
9b Baspa near Chitkul.jpg

A photo stop
8 Almost at Chitkul 2.jpg

More snowy mountains
9 Snow mountains nr Chitkul1.jpg

The taxi with the Thai ladies, they had come in from Kalpa
9g C Thai visitors to Chitkul.jpg

Almost at Chhitkul
9e Almost at Chitkul 3.jpg

Even more snow scapes
10a More snow scapes4.jpg

Another bend in the road
10 One more bend to Chitkul.jpg

And Voila! CHHITKUL at 3450m, this is where the motorable road ends
11 Chhitkul Village.jpg

Donkeys laden with stocks for some villages beyond that motorable road ...
12 C Donkeys going out of Chitkul.jpg

Next installment tomorrow ....... Good Night Folks

Last edited: