Ashok Leyland and Tata Intercity Buses

Buzfan

Travel Review: Mysore to Chennai (SETC AC Sleeper)

Departure (Sch/Act): 9 pm/9:10pm
Arrival (Sch/Act) : 7 am (CMBT)/6:50 am (Poonamallee)

Reached Mysore ksrtc bus stand around 8:30 pm and headed directly to Platform number 3. Airavat to Chennai was getting ready for the departure. In few minutes SETC sleeper bound to chennai was brought in. As soon as the chennai bound Airavat left, SETC sleeper was parked in the bay. The bus appeared fresh from outside. Interiors were also maintained good. A blanket was kept on the berth. There was an luggage rack to keep our backpacks. Charger point was available and was working throughout the journey. Being a weekend the booking for the service was full. The bus had more than 90 per cent end to end bookings. Couple of passengers were to join from Bangalore. So, conductor got in some Mysore-Bangalore passengers. We started from Mysore at 9:10 pm, delayed due to late arrival of passengers. We slowly crawled out of mysore. Once out of mysore we picked up pace. The ride was so comfortable that i slipped to sleep near to Mandya. Vaguely remembered us standing in a queue of vehicles, didn't bother to note the place. Woke up briefly when conductor came around calling for people alighting at Shanthi Nagar. We left Shanthi Nagar at 1:10 am. Was awake till we reached Silk Board, traffic was very light, so we were progressing swiftly. Once past Silk Board again slipped to sleep and woke up when we were crossing Vellore around 5 am. We stopped for a brief break after Vellore. Finally i was dropped off in Poonamallee bypass at 6:50 am. Heard from conductor that we were delayed between Mysore-Bangalore due to checking by election officials. Also, the bus was speed locked in 70s. In spite of the speed lock, the crews tried to maintain the timings. Overall had a comfortable journey.

Attachments

deepam

Super User

Reached Mysore ksrtc bus stand around 8:30 pm and headed directly to Platform number 3. Airavat to Chennai was getting ready for the departure. In few minutes SETC sleeper bound to chennai was brought in. As soon as the chennai bound Airavat left, SETC sleeper was parked in the bay. The bus appeared fresh from outside. Interiors were also maintained good. A blanket was kept on the berth. There was an luggage rack to keep our backpacks. Charger point was available and was working throughout the journey. Being a weekend the booking for the service was full. The bus had more than 90 per cent end to end bookings. Couple of passengers were to join from Bangalore. So, conductor got in some Mysore-Bangalore passengers. We started from Mysore at 9:10 pm, delayed due to late arrival of passengers. We slowly crawled out of mysore. Once out of mysore we picked up pace. The ride was so comfortable that i slipped to sleep near to Mandya. Vaguely remembered us standing in a queue of vehicles, didn't bother to note the place. Woke up briefly when conductor came around calling for people alighting at Shanthi Nagar. We left Shanthi Nagar at 1:10 am. Was awake till we reached Silk Board, traffic was very light, so we were progressing swiftly. Once past Silk Board again slipped to sleep and woke up when we were crossing Vellore around 5 am. We stopped for a brief break after Vellore. Finally i was dropped off in Poonamallee bypass at 6:50 am. Heard from conductor that we were delayed between Mysore-Bangalore due to checking by election officials. Also, the bus was speed locked in 70s. In spite of the speed lock, the crews tried to maintain the timings. Overall had a comfortable journey.
+++++++++++++++++
Nice to know that crew maintained the timings inspite off:
  1. Election checking
  2. Bus speed locked at 70 kmph.

HRSH

Good review Buzfan.
Are you sure that speed lock was at 70 kmph because 80 is the standard figure, and there have been reports that there are some of them unlocked too!
Nice to know that the service was neat and clean!

Buzfan

Good review Buzfan.
Are you sure that speed lock was at 70 kmph because 80 is the standard figure, and there have been reports that there are some of them unlocked too!
Nice to know that the service was neat and clean!
Came to know that the bus was locked at 75. Seems recently many of the newbies including the new bs4 tnstc guys are locked at 75.

venkat_CRDI

That was a short & sweet review.
I don't understand the strategy of SETC behind the speed lock. 75kmph speed lock is nothing for an intercity luxury bus that covers more than 600 kms per trip. Personally I have seen a Coimbatore bound AC sleeper from Chennai flying at 90kmph and giving tough to some private buses.

HRSH

That was a short & sweet review.
I don't understand the strategy of SETC behind the speed lock. 75kmph speed lock is nothing for an intercity luxury bus that covers more than 600 kms per trip. Personally I have seen a Coimbatore bound AC sleeper from Chennai flying at 90kmph and giving tough to some private buses.
For long distance intercity buses, it should be a min. of 90 kmph.Teach them instead to drive at the right rpms for better mileage instead of under locking the buses !

deepam

Super User
Morning Stars has withdrawn Bangalore-Sringeri service.

Currently operating from Bangalore to other places in Karnataka - Manipal, Bidar, Raichur, Gulbarga, Bijapur & Gokak.