Ashok Leyland and Tata Intercity Buses

Buzfan

Short Review: Tirunelveli to Chennai in SETC AC Seater/Sleeper (Nagercoil-Chennai service)

Since past one month SETC have added many AC (Sleeper and Seater/Sleeper) services to its fleet, recent being a Seater/Sleeper service in Nagercoil-Chennai sector. Thought of giving it a try and booked a ticket in the single seater from Tirunelveli to Chennai.
The scheduled time for the bus at Tirunelveli was 7:20 pm, but bus arrived around 7:45 pm (Schedule dep time from Nagercoil is 6 pm). The bus was only half filled so conductor started scouting for passengers and finally we left Tirunelveli at 8:03 pm. Since the load was less, we entered, Kovilpatti. Sattur. We pulled in for dinner break at the regular hotel aaryas near sattur. The next customary halt was at Madurai, here were put up for half-an-hour. Bus got filled here and we left MIBT around 12:15 am. Near to melur i slipped to slip and vaguely remembered us stopping for driver change. Woke up briefly when we stopped for tea break in the morning. Finally i was dropped off in Tambaram at 6:55 am.

Remark: The bus was brand new and seats were comfortable and had good leg space. Charger point was available and was kept on throughout the journey. Ac was set at comfortable temperature, though Blankets were available it was not distributed to the passengers. Crews were polite and driving was good, both driver and conductor maintained steady 80+ (speed lock was set at 85kmph). Overall had a comfortable journey. Had the bus had full occupancy from atleast Tirunelveli, the bus could have covered the end to end distance bit earlier.

Attachments

Last edited:

HRSH

Short Review: Tirunelveli to Chennai in SETC AC Seater/Sleeper (Nagercoil-Chennai service)

Since past one month SETC have added many AC (Sleeper and Seater/Sleeper) services to its fleet, recent being a Seater/Sleeper service in Nagercoil-Chennai sector. Thought of giving it a try and booked a ticket in the single seater from Tirunelveli to Chennai.
The scheduled time for the bus at Tirunelveli was 7:20 pm, but bus arrived around 7:45 pm (Schedule dep time from Nagercoil is 6 pm). The bus was only half filled so conductor started scouting for passengers and finally we left Tirunelveli at 8:03 pm. Since the load was less, we entered, Kovilpatti. Sattur. We pulled in for dinner break at the regular hotel aaryas near sattur. The next customary halt was at Madurai, here were put up for half-an-hour. Bus got filled here and we left MIBT around 12:15 am. Near to melur i slipped to slip and vaguely remembered us stopping for driver change. Woke up briefly when we stopped for tea break in the morning. Finally i was dropped off in Tambaram at 6:55 am.

Remark: The bus was brand new and seats were comfortable and had good leg space. Charger point was available and was kept on throughout the journey. Ac was set at comfortable temperature, though Blankets were available it was not distributed to the passengers. Crews were polite and driving was good, both driver and conductor maintained steady 80+ (speed locked was set at 85kmph). Overall had a comfortable journey. Had the bus had full occupancy from atleast Tirunelveli, the bus could have covered the end to end distance bit earlier.
Good review Buzfan. They still follow the usual practice of picking up passengers enroute, don't they ! An old SETC managing to do the stretch in 13 hrs (Ngl-Cmbt)is ok. Being a brand new one, they should have done It in max 12 hours which is what is expected of a premium service !

Buzfan

Mysore to Chennai SETC AC Seater/Sleeper:

A weekend trip to mysore, onwards was in the SETC 2100CHNMYS sleeper. Started with 10 minutes delay and reached mysore half-an-hour before (7:30 am) the scheduled time (8:00 am). Overall journey was smooth and comfortable. It had good end to end loads.
For return, thought of trying the recently added additional ( AC Seater/Sleeper) service with scheduled departure of 2000 hrs from Mysore. On the day of travel, reached Mysore bus stand platform 3 around 7:45 pm, where usually the Chennai bound buses used to park. There was no sign of the bus. Meanwhile, i received a message with the conductor number. Called the number to confirm whether the bus would arrive at the platform where i was waiting, and got to know that the bus was parked near the entry gate. Went near the entry gate and saw that the bus was parked there. Showed the pnr in the message that i received and boarded the bus. Since it was parked away from the platform, conductor had to inform all the passengers about the location, this delayed the departure considerably. We finally started from mysore at 8:35 pm with full load. Traffic was denser till we got out of mysore. Once on the highway the driver picked up pace. This bus was locked at 85, and the driver was on aggressive mode, he maintained 80+ where ever possible. We pulled in at Kamat upachar for dinner break around 9:40 pm. We resumed after break at 10:06 pm. Driver was back to business and was rushing towards bangalore. Near to Ramnagara, we were diverted to opposite lane, since a tree fell on the road due to thunderstorm. This slowed our pace and we were crawling behind vehicles for a considerable distance, till we joined back in the left lane. We entered Shanthi nagar bus stand around 12:25 am. Here two persons got down and 4 (2 in cabin) got in. Conductor announced a break and people utilized this as a restroom break. We finally started from Shanthi nagar at 12:37 am. Traffic was very thin at that time and we were progressing swiftly through the city. Somewhere near to electronic city i drifted to sleep. I briefly woke up when we stopped at roadside just after Krishnagiri flyover for driver change. Conductor took charge and he too maintained good pace. The next i briefly woke up when we were at palikondal toll. After the toll we stopped for crew change and driver was back on the wheels. I vaguely remembered us crossing vellore. The next customary stop was near to Sunguvachathiram for a tea break. I did not bother to get down and continued my sleep. As we neared Sriperumbudur, melody songs were played in the entertainment system. Finally i was dropped in Poonamallee bypass at 6 am, which was a 5 hrs 23 minutes ride from bangalore. Overall had a comfortable and speedy ride.

PSX_20190603_105809.jpg

Last edited:

HRSH

Mysore to Chennai SETC AC Seater/Sleeper:

A weekend trip to mysore, onwards was in the SETC 2100CHNMYS sleeper. Started with 10 minutes delay and reached mysore half-an-hour before (7:30 am) the scheduled time (8:00 am). Overall journey was smooth and comfortable. It had good end to end loads.
For return, thought of trying the recently added additional ( AC Seater/Sleeper) service with scheduled departure of 2000 hrs from Mysore. On the day of travel, reached Mysore bus stand platform 3 around 7:45 pm, where usually the Chennai bound buses used to park. There was no sign of the bus. Meanwhile, i received a message with the conductor number. Called the number to confirm whether the bus would arrive at the platform where i was waiting, and got to know that the bus was parked near the entry gate. Went near the entry gate and saw that the bus was parked there. Showed the pnr in the message that i received and boarded the bus. Since it was parked away from the platform, conductor had to inform all the passengers about the location, this delayed the departure considerably. We finally started from mysore at 8:35 pm with full load. Traffic was denser till we got out of mysore. Once on the highway the driver picked up pace. This bus was locked at 85, and the driver was on aggressive mode, he maintained 80+ where ever possible. We pulled in at Kamat upachar for dinner break around 9:40 pm. We resumed after break at 10:06 pm. Driver was back to business and was rushing towards bangalore. Near to Ramnagara, we were diverted to opposite lane, since a tree fell on the road due to thunderstorm. This slowed our pace and we were crawling behind vehicles for a considerable distance, till we joined back in the left lane. We entered Shanthi nagar bus stand around 12:25 am. Here two persons got down and 4 (2 in cabin) got in. Conductor announced a break and people utilized this as a restroom break. We finally started from Shanthi nagar at 12:37 am. Traffic was very thin at that time and we were progressing swiftly through the city. Somewhere near to electronic city i drifted to sleep. I briefly woke up when we stopped at roadside just after Krishnagiri flyover for driver change. Conductor took charge and he too maintained good pace. The next i briefly woke up when we were at palikondal toll. After the toll we stopped for crew change and driver was back on the wheels. I vaguely remembered us crossing vellore. The next customary stop was near to Sunguvachathiram for a tea break. I did not bother to get down and continued my sleep. As we neared Sriperumbudur, melody songs were played in the entertainment system. Finally i was dropped in Poonamallee bypass at 6 am, which was a 5 hrs 23 minutes ride from bangalore. Overall had a comfortable and speedy ride.

View attachment 766823
Good review Buzfan.
What is the overall situation of SETC's premium services now ?
Are they maintaining them properly ?
What is the general feedback among travelling populace ?

nagaraj15

CN- Chennai
Good review Buzfan.
What is the overall situation of SETC's premium services now ?
Are they maintaining them properly ?
What is the general feedback among travelling populace ?
overall good response, now sleepers are gaining popularity
Speed is the concern as the buses come with factory set speed of 80kmph, still drivers don't go beyond 70kmph, so all bs4 buses are slow runners on the highway on all routes.
Passenger apathy is more, many facilities like bottle holder, magazine holder, charger points are being vandalised for no reason

HRSH

overall good response, now sleepers are gaining popularity
Speed is the concern as the buses come with factory set speed of 80kmph, still drivers don't go beyond 70kmph, so all bs4 buses are slow runners on the highway on all routes.
Passenger apathy is more, many facilities like bottle holder, magazine holder, charger points are being vandalised for no reason
Speed is must for long journeys. I don't mean to be rash but 85-90 Kmph consistently is needed to maintain timings.
The reason behind me asking this question was to find out how our people are maintaining these buses !
As I said before, at all bus terminals/ stations, banners and boards are to be put up asking passengers not to misuse these facilities !

HRSH

would like to mention SHREEKUMAR ROADLINES... one very reliable operator from Honnavar.. has grown considerably without much hype. They used to be my first choice preference from sirsi to bangalore. They had only 4 buses and couple of parcel vans then but now they operate around 18 routes to coastal karnataka from bangalore. Very polite staff and provide pick up and drop points to interior/mid way stops in malenadu belt. Recently spotted new non ac sleepers in bangalore. Have a very solid customer base.