Audiophiles on BCMT !

Starting a new thread for audiophiles on BCMT.

This is another very expensive hobby, And sky is the limit in terms of digital audio players, digital audio converters, headphones, earphones, amplifiers etc.

Where the minimum cost of an earphone could be 50rs or less or the most expensive shure earphones may be around a lakh rupees ..

So here i am starting a thread after getting idea from a classified thread started by Mr. Somnath.

Mods you can merge thread if another one is already present.

In this thread we can share our gadget inventory, pictures of our setup, types of music you listen, may be meets can also be planned and anything related to music.

Starting let me just share my gadget inventory till now.

Digital audio player list -

Sansa clip + and sansa clip zip
Cowon D2+
Ipod nano 4th Gen 8 GB
Creative Muvo Tx FM - 256 MB

Headphones -
Sony MDR-V55
Tekfusion Ecoofers
Soundmagic ES-18
Creative EP-630

I am desperately in need of either Grado's or Beyerdyanamic's

Amplifiers -
Ordered from Gary - Electric Avenues PA2v2
Earlier had CMOY BB, This I made myself. However now it is not working.

Music collection -
Diverse, I like everytype of music.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
You seem to a headphones man! And yes the PA2v2 is a classic headphone amp!

What about audiophile speakers? That is what costs a bomb! My financial ruination was due to the fact that I have always been a headphones-averse speaker man!

What about audiophile speakers? That is what costs a bomb! My financial ruination was due to the fact that I have always been a headphones-averse speaker man!
Anup sir, I am the only one in my home who really notice difference in different sound signatures .. when i ask same thing from my wife or father or mother .. they say "same to hai" that's why i invest on headphones much, however i do like to own planar magnetic speakers however before that i may purchase planar magnetic headphones .. Also i carry my rig almost everywhere to my office, family functions, gathering ... my car cd player stopped working due to this .. because i always use my rig as AUX OUT ..

Don't know if my son also get this capability .. He don't listen to song directly from IPOD out, however same song with my Rig ..he keeps on listening with some very funny, serious expressions ... and he is only 1.5 years old .. one thing i came to know about him from last some listening sessions with him .. he likes classic especially flute music more than any other ..

And his birthday on 24th december .. the same as Mohd. Rafi ..

Currently listening with beyerdyanamic custom one pro headphones .. High end headphones are not easily avalaible in India and even if they do they are very very costly...

Anup sir, I am the only one in my home who really notice difference in different sound signatures .. when i ask same thing from my wife or father or mother .. they say "same to hai" that's why i invest on headphones much, however i do like to own planar magnetic speakers however before that i may purchase planar magnetic headphones .. Also i carry my rig almost everywhere to my office, family functions, gathering ... my car cd player stopped working due to this .. because i always use my rig as AUX OUT ..

Don't know if my son also get this capability .. He don't listen to song directly from IPOD out, however same song with my Rig ..he keeps on listening with some very funny, serious expressions ... and he is only 1.5 years old .. one thing i came to know about him from last some listening sessions with him .. he likes classic especially flute music more than any other ..

And his birthday on 24th december .. the same as Mohd. Rafi ..

Currently listening with beyerdyanamic custom one pro headphones .. High end headphones are not easily avalaible in India and even if they do they are very very costly...

rishiguru

I am a lucky owner of Yamaha DSP-Z9 A/V multi-channel amplifier in India. It was a 2004 released, Top Of The Line (TOTL), “Uber” A/V multi-channel amplifier costing US $4,500. In North America the same model is known as RX-Z9.

Yamaha DSP-Z9 [Titanium Version]

After spending some years listening to my DSP-Z9, below are my thoughts & findings.

Pros

1) The DSP-Z9 is built to last forever with the types of materials and build quality you expect from a significant investment in your home theater system. The DSP-Z9 is built like a Panzer tank and runs like a Swiss watch. Terrific build quality and a robust feature set make the DSP-Z9 a class leader among the competition. It is about the most trouble-free, easy-to-use, intuitive A/V amplifier I've encountered.

2) The casework on the DSP-Z9 is gorgeous, comparing with the best in the business. The faceplate is formed from a 10 mm thick piece of beautifully machined extruded aluminum, finished in a striking brushed titanium treatment reminiscent of Krell amps. The faceplate & side panel quality are above reproach and beyond anything I have seen on an A/V amplifier. In fact, it felt much more like a handcrafted high-end component than a mass-produced one.

3) The DSP-Z9 internal amplifiers are so good and so musically right, that unless you're willing to fork over some major dough one wouldn't look to separates if you can afford the DSP-Z9. I found the DSP-Z9's power on tap to be bountiful and robust, making it one of the best-sounding A/V amplifiers in the game even today, with overall audio performance not unlike what I heard from many high-end integrateds. In Pure Direct Mode it has a smooth, rich textured sound that is rife with air and possesses striking dynamics that bring songs to life. In Straight Mode a slightly warm midrange and solid bass impact make the DSP-Z9 one of the most musical solid-state A/V amplifier ever made.

4) Incredible power output, capable of powering any speaker on the market today with juice to spare making the DSP-Z9 a very versatile amplifier for a variety of system and needs. It has the power and headroom to be able to drive even tough impedance-load speakers to beyond-cinema levels, even from the most demanding sources. THX's Ultra2 certification backs those claims up with third-party verification that you can trust.

6) During auditioning setup the most stand out & appreciated feature was DSP-Z9’s unexpectedly large gold plated 2-way extruded speaker terminals. The plain jane speaker terminals of Denon & DSP-Z11 while being a real pain to use, I was really impressed with DSP-Z9’s binding posts as they easily accommodated those rather heavy speaker wires for the nine channels. DSP-Z9 has a genuine upper hand here.

7) The DSP-Z9 except for HDMI, possesses more features and customizable options than even the most fanatical home theater enthusiast is ever likely to need and/or use.

8) The DSP-Z9 possesses a natural, lively and energetic sound that adds a bit of swing to music and punch to movies. It simply excels as a multi-channel listening device, be it for music or movies. The bass on DSP-Z9 was the best in comparison with DSP-Z11 & Denon AVC-A1SRA. Low, fast and tight only start to describe the sound.

9) Yamaha's various DSPs sound remarkably good for an A/V amplifier. To find significantly better surround sound DSP modes, you need to look at A/V preamps costing 200 percent more or higher than this Yamaha DSP-Z9.

10) 1080i video quality is topnotch with the Faroudja processing and up-conversion actually improves the look of legacy video sources, although it is important to note that the video processor is no miracle worker.

11) The DSP-Z9's dual subwoofer outputs, are nice features that more users are bound to employ.

12) The onboard GUI display is essential, not only for making adjustments to the DSP-Z9, but because it is hugely beneficial and easy to use.

13) While the DSP-Z9's initial price was on par with a mid-fi separates system, its performance is more high-end than that of most A/V amplifiers in almost every conceivable way.

14) The DSP-Z9’s pre & power amplifier circuit design architectures & PCB layout are exotic in nature and are found on US $10,000 plus separates. The pre-amplifier section uses a fully balanced wiring for audio signal transmission with high quality gold plated relays to achieve low noise & distortion and feeds the symmetrical driven fully discrete push-full power amplifier circuit configuration with a complementary FET input stage. This ensures fully balanced power output with no signal interference and highest slew rate (rate at which signal changes; affects high frequency response) and balanced clipping. Furthermore, the massive 1,500 watts low impedance toroidal transformer and a pair of high-grade Nichicon 28,000uF/ 80 volts power capacitors ensure a consistently stable power supply. This type of design architectures are extremely rare for A/V amplifiers and are superior as well as more costly to implement than those found in Yamaha DSP-Z11 & Denon AVC-A1SRA.

I was truly impressed to see the use of quality components inside my DSP-Z9

15) From 1990 onwards to this date, Yamaha has released eight Top Of The Line (TOTL) A/V amplifiers ranging between US $2,000 to US $5,500. From a technical standpoint and purely in terms of internal circuit design architecture & layout I found six of them namely DSP-A1000, DSP-A2070, DSP-A3090, DSP-A1, DSP-AX1 & DSP-AZ1 follows the same design philosophy/ architecture/ pattern as laid out by DSP-A1000. I reached to this conclusion after critically analyzing all of their service manuals. With time they successively released newer models which were just a gradual evolution of the former with some more refinement & added features. However, DSP-Z9 is an exception to this case, having absolutely nothing in common in term of design philosophy to the rest of the bunch. DSP-Z9's design philosophy & architecture is completely different being far more exotic, pure, unadulterated & performance oriented than its counterparts and it seems to be designed from a completely new ballpark with no relevance to its sisters to achieve never before attained performance levels.

16) Just the bragging rights of owning a rare and legendary Yamaha’s A/V amplifier.

Cons

1) Heafty price. The Yamaha DSP-Z9 is an A/V amplifier in the traditional sense, but follows the lead set by the separates camp as well. For starters, it's not cheap. At US $4,500 retail, it was one of the most expensive A/V amplifiers one could buy back in 2004. Here there was no Yamaha India back then, so their Indian importer after adding (international freight charge + import duty + warranty + profit + VAT) with its retail price charged INR 4.75 lakhs for the titanium version. The golden/ black versions used to cost 10/ 20 grand less.

2) Weight is always a consideration with an amp at this level. DSP-Z9 weighs a hefty 30 kilos.

3) Heat is always an issue with big, powerful A/V amplifiers. My experience with Yamaha DSP-Z9 is a prime example. Even properly ventilated, the Z-9’s brawny Class AB amplifier with multiple high current outputs ran super hot, while the huge low flux 1500 watts toroidal power transformer located dead center stays cool.

4) Yamaha’s huge but space efficient twin sided horizontally mounted & uniquely designed anodized extruded alumunium heatsink’s are works of art. But there is simply no way of escaping waste heat generated by those sixteen pairs of ubiquitous Sanken 2SA1492/ 2SC3856 power transistors capable of producing 2,080 watts max. The two 80mm silent precision fans situated at the bottom of these heatsinks run at low speed under extreme heat generation to insure temperatures don't melt nearby audio equipment.

Subjective Review
-----------------------------

Yamaha DSP-Z9 + Bower & Wilkins 802 Diamond floorstanders [This is not my setup!!!]

My Listening Experience: Multi-channel music with DSP-Z9

Listening to Yanni-Live at El Morro, Puerto Rico recording in high definition 24bit/ 96 kHz, 5.1 channels DVD format was an eye opener and THE MOST reveling experience, DSP-Z9 aptly demonstrating its musical prowess in abundance. This full orchestra contained some amazing number of audio instruments like drums, kick-drums, violins, guitars, base guitars, trumpets, flugelhorns, percussions, harps, keyboards, French horns, cellos, trombones, double bass, bass horns, etc. Renowned vocalists like Lauren Jelencovich, and Lisa Lavie was also there.

I was just amazed by the amount of sonic information & detailing these 5.1 channel DVD discs contain which can never be expressed in a two channel stereo.

In order to listen & enjoy this type of high resolution DVDs to its brim, one need A/V amplifiers of DSP-Z9 caliber having internal amplifiers so good and so musically right, that unless you're willing to fork over some major dough one wouldn't look to separates if you can afford them. I found their power on tap to be bountiful and robust, making them one of the best-sounding A/V amplifiers in the game even today, with overall audio performance not unlike what I heard from many high-end integrateds.

The way DSP-Z9 was able to represent these complex orchestral musical pieces along with the melodious as well as haunting vocals of Lauren & Lisa was the most revealing part. I was able to exactly identify with my eyes closed as of where in the stage an instrument is being played in the live concert with a level of refinement, detailing & tonal separation I was never able to experience before in a stereo format.

I was pleasantly surprised by the organic nature in which Lauren & Lisa’s voice were reproduced by DSP-Z9. It were presented with fullness and warmth that is not typically associated with any A/V amplifier I herd before, I also heard subtle vocal inflections of their performance, showing that this monster is very capable of passing even the smallest of details that is provided to it. The sounds staging performance of this A/V amp is excellent, placing the vocals center stage and well in front of the speakers as the other instruments were carefully placed around them.

DSP-Z9 being sewn to those nine Axiom Audio M80 v3 towers rated at 4 ohms each, it seemed to have great dynamic energy, which sewed to make the soundfield even more cohesive. The violins, cellos and violas sounded taut and alive, almost as though they had their own voice, beyond that of Lauren & Lisa. The kick drum played quick and deep and I was very impressed with there tonality & how they were represented musically. It was as if the energy from each tower was so strong that a true bubble had been created around me. Combined with the excellent imaging and soundstage of the M80 towers, the sound-field just extended from speaker to speaker. The brawny Class AB amplifier of DSP-Z9 with multiple high current outputs was able to extract enough bass from the M80’s that it often sounded as if we had two subwoofers on when we did not. Loud, deep noises from drums & kick-drums had significant impact.

Micro-dynamics were also very smooth and well-delineated, and listening to multi channel music via the DSP-Z9 was a very pleasing, engrossing experience. The experience was so strong, that I found myself in musical nirvana, ended up listening Yanni twice through the DSP-Z9 and couldn't help but think that this was the way music were meant to be heard.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Now this is some serious hardware .. I suppose you are not in india right now .. don't see your location in tapatalk .. I know i may not be able to own one of these, however i am thinking of buying an Yamaha Amp .. however no store keep them on demo, listening some concert with eyes closed and make out every instrument is purely a bliss .. I can just imagine as I have a creative x fi 7.1 soundcard and listening concert with Razer gaming headset is something i can't explain .. And this Amp is more than 20 times of price and especially for hi fi music.

Once I asked my wife to listen to my gaming setup and she was prerry much scared of gunshots, helicopters and tanks ... she was not able to listen to it more than a minute ..

Seriously above is top of the line hardware you have .. 

May be someday i may be able to experience it .. 

As for now my on the go buddies are cowon and sansa. Can't think of taking 20K headphones beyerdyanamic with me on run .. 

View attachment 541825

Watching movies with dolby sound on this tiny player is seriously fun with all tuning options .. BBE+, stereo enhance, 3D sound, and parametric equalizer.

One thing I really like about Cowon, besides VFM .. They use Wolfson DAC which are number one, Even the very expensive DAP don't use Wolfson.
All these features and Battery backup is awesome ..

52 hours of Audio.
10 hours of Video.

DIY aquapac for Sansa, This one is always with me, no matter where I go with 32GB microsd total of 40 GB music. Around 30GB of FLAC's. This player is tiny, Smaller than a matchbox and giving serious competition to top of the line HIFIMAN and other players.

uploadfromtaptalk1407613396826.jpg

[MENTION=20079]abhinavrakesh[/MENTION] Bhai
You Picture of keeping Music Player in a pack is giving me a faint idea to have a similar pack for Touch screen Mobile on Rainy Days.
Anything possible for Mobile as I use it as Audio player also ?
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/attachments/uploadfromtaptalk1407613396826.jpg-541827d1407613419

I am using Bluetooth Speaker now by
Landmark S13 :
Landmark S13 Bluetooth Speaker.jpg

Since I do not use Headphones
I was looking for the cheaper options.
I created an enquiry thread:
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/electronics-consumer-durables-f81/loud-music-phone-2k-3k-budget-t47354/

Landmark S13 Bluetooth Speaker 3.jpg

To Connect Bluetooth via mobile is easy.
Backup for playback is good around 3-4 hours.
Enough for my needs on Driving time on bike on Delhi Roads.

Landmark S13 Bluetooth Speaker 2.jpg

http://ilink.com.ph/products/lineup/s-13-bluetooth-speakers/

Last edited:
[MENTION=14279]adsatinder[/MENTION] .. I use good quality zipper bag for this pack. Probably with thicker plastic and silver back. There are many sizes of zipper bags avalailaible in market, you can choose one which fits your phone nicely. Good quality zipper bags are waterproof and air tight.

Good thing for you is you use bluetooth speaker so you don't have to cut the bag for wire.

I test zipper bag by keeping a paper in it and submerged in water for some hours. You can use same zipper bag for your speaker also.

It allows heat dissipation. So no issues of gadget heating.

You can get these bags in less tjan 10rs/peace in any big/good utensil/plastic shop.