Autumn Road Trip to Lahaul Valley

sriprakash74

Sriprakash
Keylong to Kullu Manali | Return Journey from Lahaul

Hello Friends, presenting sixth part of our Lahaul Valley Road Trip covering our return journey from Keylong in Lahaul Valley to Kullu in Kullu Valley.

We started return journey from Keylong and took around 3 hours to reach Kullu via Atal Tunnel.

Our first stop was Tandi where Chandra and Bhaga river meets to form river Chandrabhaga which is called Chenab River after it enters Jammu and Kashmir.

Tandi can also be called as Varanashi of Lahaul Valley because it has several monasteries in and around it. These are

1) Shashur Monastery : Located on a uphill narrow road of 2 KM from Keylong town around 14 KM from Tandi.
2) Tupchiling Monastery : Its a 5 min walk from Tandi Bridge or Tandi petrol Pump on Tandi Piukar Road. You can clearly see the confluence of Chandra and Bhaga rivers from above at this place.
3) Guru Ghantal Monastery : Oldest monastery of Lahaul valley which can be reached by a uphill trek of around 2 to 3 hours from Tupchiling Monastery. This monastery is believed to be around 1300 years old. If you visit this monastery then request for keys to the monastery in Tupchiling Monastery.
4) Kardung Village and Monastery : Located at around 10 KM from Tandi Bridge on Tandi Piukar road this village is the former capital of Lahaul valley. A road leads to Kardung Monastery from the village which is around 2 KM long. Entire Keylong town is visible from here which is on the right bank of Bhaga river. This monastery is also visible from Keylong town.
5) Apart from these prominent monasteries there are several small monasteries on Tandi Piukar Road.

Next point on our route was Sissu which has a tourism village, a lake and a water fall. This is the most green area of entire Lahaul Valley. Temple of Raja Ghepan (Gyephang) the presiding lord of Lahaul valley is located here. As per belief of Lahauli people, Raja Ghepan (Gyephang) resides in the Gyephang mountain that rises above Sissu village and is around 5800 meter high. In old days people of Lahaul fought their wars under the banner of Lord Gyephang.

Soon we reached Atal Tunnel. Before the construction and opening of Atal Tunnel, Lahaul valley used to remain cut off from rest of the world as it lies between three high mountain passes which remains snow bound for half of the year making it impossible to reach Lahaul valley through land. These passes are 3978 meters high Rohtang pass that connects it with Kullu Manali, 4551 meters high Kunzam pass that connects it with Spiti Valley, 4850 meters high Baralacha Pass that connects it with Ladakh.

We entered Solang Valley after crossing Atal Tunnel and soon reached Kullu Valley. We did some shopping of Kullu Handlooms and Shawls at Kullu.

Below video covers our journey up to this point.

sriprakash74

Sriprakash
Manali to Mandi via Bajaura Mandi Road

Hello Friends, presenting seventh part of our Lahaul Valley Road Trip covering our return journey from Manali to Mandi, the Kashi of Hills.

In this episode we lost our way several times and in the end followed google maps which directed us towards Bajaura Mandi road probably because of ongoing four laneing of main highway.

First I lost the way on Kullu Manali highway and entered Kullu City. After driving several KMs in Kullu city I exited near the confluence of Beas and Parviti river, but instead of turning right I went straight, crossed jthe rivers and then took right turn. Ended up in narrow roads and finally exited near Bajaura.

At Bajaura I again took a wrong turn and went towards Manali instead of going towards Mandi. Realized the mistake when I reached Buntar and turned back.

However I switched on Google Maps this time to avoid any further wrong turns. However Google redirected me on Bajaura Mandi road which is a narrow road till the Parashar Lake road with several steep inclines and declines. However the route is more scenic than the main highway and it bypassed the construction zone and Aut Tunnel. Both the main highway and this route have same length.

After driving for 27 KMs, we came to the road bifurcation where one road goes towards Parashar lake which is around 23 KMs from that point. IIT Mandi North campus is further 10 KMs from that point. Once you cross IIT Mandi, you will start driving along Uhl river for some KM before diverting towards Mandi. You need to cross Victoria bridge to enter Mandi town.

This video covers our journey up to this point. Will continue with the journey in next episode. Now watch the video to know more about our journey.

sriprakash74

Sriprakash
Mandi to Chandigarh (The concluding video of the trip)

Hello Friends, presenting eighth and concluding part of our Lahaul Valley Road Trip covering our return journey from Mandi to Chandigarh.

Sorry for the delay in posting. This is the last video of the series. I will now start posting pictures from next post.

After loosing our way several times between Manali and Mandi we finally reached Mandi in afternoon. The of this video starts from our journey from Mandi.

The route from Mandi till the plains are mostly either narrow or under construction with a lot of slow moving truck traffic which delays the journey a lot. However there are few 4 lane patches which are a delight to drive on.

We crossed Sundar Nagar and Bilaspur to reach Swarghat by the evening. Water from Beas river gets diverted at Pandoh dam which gets stored in an artificial lake at Sundar Nagar before it is consumed in Dehar power plant to generate electricity. Bilaspur is also a big city famous for Govind Sagar Lake formed due to construction of Bhakra Nangal Dam.

We stayed in HPTDC Hotel Hill Top at Swarghat which cost us Rs.3500/- for 4 baded room after discount. The room was huge with a sofa set.and a separate entrance area.

Next day we left Swarghat at around 9 AM and crossed Kiratpur Sahib, Ropar, Kharar etc before reaching Chandigarh. I also had a small encounter with police details of which you will find in this video.

This video covers our journey up to this point. Will continue with the journey in next episode. Now watch the video to know more about our journey.