Bangalore to Leh (August 2018) - Bike Ride - Route Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ladakh and Zanskar' started by Jairam R, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Jairam R

Jairam R New Member

Hi all,

I am planning to trip to Leh from Bangalore for coming August 2018. The plan in short is to drive to Leh from Bangalore through Delhi and reach Leh through the Kargil - Dras route. From Leh, the spots I want to visit is Pangong, Nubra and Khardung La and return back to Delhi through Manali. From Delhi, I have booked a flight back to Bangalore, while I would ship my bike back home from Delhi.

To leave from Bangalore, I am not quite sure about the route - whether Pune or Hyderabad route to take? The answers in most threads looks to be a bit old, so I am not quite sure about the present condition of the road and the travel time required.

Above all, the plan is for 14 days (15th day would be returning in flight from Delhi). So could anyone guide me or suggest with a route and whether this is do able or do I need to change anything to fit in the timeline?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jairam R

2. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

It is certainly possible to do this ride. However, I will suggest you a couple of things:

1. If you’re planning to cross Kashmir around Independence Day, please avoid it. Security is usually really tight and chances of bandhs and terror strikes high.

2. You will be traveling during the monsoon season. 14 day ride would be really hectic and in case there is any delay due to landslides en route, you will end up missing your flight from Delhi. It would be best to add at least 3-4 days to the plan or ship your motorcycle till Jammu or Srinagar and begin your ride from there.

3. suyash_tripathi

suyash_tripathi Well-Known Member

In August it will be raining heavily in Central and Western part of India. If possible ship your bike to either Jammu, Ambala or Delhi so as to avoid as much rains as you can. Amarnath Yatra will also be on by that time so expect a lot of traffic till Baltal.

4. Yogesh Sarkar

It would be the same in North India as well. July and August are monsoon months here.

suyash_tripathi likes this.
  5. suyash_tripathi

suyash_tripathi Well-Known Member

+ 1 to that. Anyways, if Jairam wants to ride from Bangalore, route via Pune is more advised as compared to Hyderabad.

6. Jairam R

Jairam R New Member

wow! What a coincidence! My ride from Delhi to Jammu would be probably on 15th itself as per my draft plan!

Also, I am shipping my bike in my return from Delhi. So shipping from here is not in the plan. Could anything else be done for this? :|

Also, thanks guys for responding quickly! :)

7. Jairam R

Jairam R New Member

Also Yogesh, shipping to Srinagar is not in the plan as we wanted to feel the experience of the highway from Bangalore to Delhi as well.

8. Yogesh Sarkar

In that case please post the rough draft of your itinerary, we will help you fine-tune it.

9. Jairam R

Jairam R New Member

Sorry for the delay guys!

Regarding the itenary, this is roughly the one we prepared
    • Saturday 11/8/2018 1 Bengaluru to Pune
    • Sunday 12/8/2018 2 Pune to Udaipur
    • Monday 13/8/2018 3 Udaipur to Delhi

• Tuesday 14/8/2018 4 Delhi STAY

• Wednesday 15/8/2018 5 Delhi to Udhampur
    • Thursday 16/8/2018 6 Udhampur to Sonamarg
    • Friday 17/8/2018 7 Sonamarg to Leh

• Saturday 18/8/2018 8 Leh STAY

• Sunday 19/8/2018 9 Leh to Hunder
    • Monday 20/8/2018 10 Hunder to Maan (Pangong)
    • Tuesday 21/8/2018 11 Maan (Pangong) to Sakti
    • Wednesday 22/8/2018 12 Sakti to Manali
    • Thursday 23/8/2018 13 Manali to Delhi
    • Friday 24/8/2018 and Saturday 25/8/2018 15 2 Spare days for any unforeseen circumstances

A photo is uploaded as well.

Please help us with some suggestions if you think there needs to be any change.

itenary.JPG

10. Yogesh Sarkar

If you're looking for budget accommodation, then you will have a better luck finding them at Merak than Man.

Shakti to Manali in a single day is going to be difficult, though not impossible. Expect to ride for at least 14 hours, possibly more.